AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to fire up my E85H after a few months, and it won't power up.

Could this be Power Supply? Has anyone had this happen and what was the cost?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Seems like a job for the $130 Flat Rate Repair at the Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Illinois.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may can get it done here for that. I'm not sure what happened...it's been months since I had it on.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
If it's totally dead I'd crack the cover and look for fuses around the power supply/where the power cord plugs in the back. Might be as easy as a fuse, note you may need to remove some type of cover once you've removed the units outside cover.

If you have a volt meter it will make testing much easier. Before even removing the cover I'd measure for voltage at the female end of the power cord, it should unplug from the back of the E85H.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Depending how many "months" its been unplugged, you could have an issue of the backup battery going dead (this provides a trickle of current lasting many months to a few years, preserving the recorders start-up data when its unplugged). Since the EH85 is a relatively recent model, its probably too soon for the battery to have exhausted, but you never know. The most likely cause is a blown fuse, as jjeff advised. A Panasonic with a good fuse but faulty power components usually turns on and displays an error message, or turns on but refuses to do anything. Completely dead would indicate checking the fuse before going further. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
1-Check the power supply fuse

2-Check the capacitors in the power supply. In some hard drive models the capacitors are under the hard drive assembly.

This post may be helpful:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/dmr-e8...6/#post1895119

See this post and follow the discussion through the rest of the posts in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15402922

See this post and the posts that follow it for capacitor replacement discussions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14452857

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/15526305

Seems like a job for the $130 Flat Rate Repair at the Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Illinois.

I almost thought you were gonna say "Bicycle Repairman" there for a minute.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I just did a capacitor replacement C1210 and 1211, I believe. Control hard drive functioning. The fuse is real simple to replace, but if memory serves me you may still have to remove hard drive and the bracket to get to the power supply board the fuse is on. If you have capacitor replacement, it wasn't that bad, and I've never soldered on a board. Be extremely careful in getting the old capacitors off, that is the hard part where you are more likely to damage the board with too much heat. Getting the new ones on is a piece of cake after that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts