AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some time on my hands and have a "tweak" urge...

I have a Sony STR-DE845 Receiver. My model has no pre-outs or 2nd audio outs. I have an old Samsung receiver/amp that I was thinking of using to power my front 2 mains(Onkyo FusionAV S-47's). I would want the DVD and Sat box to work and they are connected with digital inputs (coaxial and optical, respectively).

A. Is this possible through any of my other line-level audio outputs?

B. Is this even a smart thing to do? I.E. more power, more efficient?

C. Shut up noob and be thankful what you have works fine...

Thanks for putting up with what is probably a stupid question! :confused:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
A. No. (no volume control on the record out jacks)

B. Yes. (although the benefit will vary with the outboard amp)

C. Wrong. (the only dumb question, ...)

D. Totally agree.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice everyone. :)

Replacing the Sony would clearly be the most prudent choice at this point.

In terms of reliability and functionality, where should I start looking for ~$2-300? I watch movies about 60%, and music 40%. Or, what price point should I look to save up for, with a limit of ~$700. I would say I'm an average SQ listener, so, would there be a major difference in a $300 vs $700 receiver? I realize I'm not going to get top shelf stuff here, so I would be interested in the most "bang for the buck".

TIA,

Jason

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I thing the Pio 1015 or one of the Panasonic digital receivers would be a decent, relatively low cost upgrade in your price range.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99
I thing the Pio 1015 or one of the Panasonic digital receivers would be a decent, relatively low cost upgrade in your price range.
Except the Panny digital receivers don't have preouts, so he'd be in the same boat.

The 1015 does have full preouts (anything above the 815 does too), as does the harman/kardon 335 and up, the Denon 1905/1906 and up, the Marantz 4500 and up and the Yamaha HTR-5760/RX-V657 and up.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead
so I would be interested in the most "bang for the buck".

Do you live in a area that has a FRY's store? Because if you want some "bang for the buck". They have the HK DPR-2005 that has a MSRP of $1800, on-sale and selling for only $500 this week. Aug 16th is the ending date of the sale.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...202005&sType=C

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.