AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can appreciate the other rules, but not posting individual local pricing info seems kind of draconian, and not draconian in a way that's good for consumers. It keeps us in the dark about pricing variations and what kinds of deals other find themselves getting at vendors.

Is there any better explanation for this? I'm not usually a conspiracy-theory kind of a guy, but it sounds like this is done for the benefit of dealers. I'm pretty sure that it's not, it's done to prevent bait and switch and a host of other marketing evils, but banning posting pricing info completely seems to be a bit severe.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This site owned by a dealer--AV Science. Why should they let their competitors benefit from their site?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Let me suggest a way that AVS could support dissemination of price information that would be consistent with the major objection they have stated, namely that we don't want the forum to become infested by sales pitches.

Setup a separate thread for each of the most popular models, with a title like "Pricing Experience on Samsung HLN507W" for example. Posts to this thread would be limited to the following information only.

1) Type of store - Major Chain, Specialty Retailer, Online Retailer

2) Price Paid, not including tax or shipping

3) Date Purchased

4) Date Delivered

5) New, Open Box, or Refurb

6) Price Determination Method (List Price, Advertised Sale, Unadvertised Sale, Individually Negotiated).

Perhaps it would be possible to setup a form for this, like we do for polls.

To avoid trolls, it might also be necessary to limit posts to members of at least 15 days, with no more than one such post every 3 months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.