AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising through the list and just got tired of seeing one problem after another.

I have been enjoying my crt ever since I got it and haven't had a single problem.

When I go to bed tonight I will dream that everyone in the whole wide world will wake up tomorrow with all their crt problems solved and will enter the state of bliss I have been in since I got sucked into this fantastic hobby.

Just saying that there is hope.

There, I got it out of my system.:cool:

P.S. This message is targeted at those LCD types that cruise NO slither with their self-righteous attitudes...

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
So what make/model do you have?

Marc

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
You're right you know, I think many here are victims of tweakitis, much of which causes premature failure.

I think though that if you looked at the track record of any given CRT unit, it's mean time between failures is still pretty incredible.

I don't think I've had any projector ever fail on me after I've repaired it and used it personally. The only exception are ones I've blown up due to stupidity and experimentation.

Curt

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Knock on wood I've never had one die on me either, but often buy them in need of repairs so that is a lot of what you hear from me. Since many of these are over 5 years old, or even 10 years old that is saying quite a bit right there.

If you are comparing the numbers of repairs here to say the digital forum, it's going to be much higher here because our pj's are repairable and we all fix them even end users fix them thanks to this board. Those other types just get tossed.

Troy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tinman, I have an NEC 6PG, GP3000 and a Sony 1031Q. All three work perfectly and have lots of life left in them.

I have made the home theater thing a means for my friends and family to get together on occassion. I just picked up 18 used cinema chairs for free and will be installing them in my theater room. Admittedly my theater is low-tech BUT it is a blast watching movies on the big screen @home.

Cheers!

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I think many treat their purchases, at least initially, as something equivalent to a boob-tube buy and never factor in the cost of a decent calibration and line-doubler (or scaler). This is probably from a point of ignorance, but its not like this first-timers have the benefit of being on AVS for a year, or have several friends around town with sufficient knowledge to educate them enough to set their expectations accordingly.

Anyone still wet behind the ears and going head-strong into a CRT purchase without doing research and not willing to invest their time in money for extraordinary results will ultimately suffer, and more than not will probably wind up in the end on AVS with a broken projector asking, and sometimes demanding, assistance.

Simply comparing an all-in-one cereal box projector (digital) to a CRT is no comparison at all. Sometimes I wonder if we need to issue (require) Class-3 licenses as proof of sufficient understanding of what it means to own a CRT.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
I just picked up 18 used cinema chairs for free and will be installing them in my theater room
Every theater seat I've ever sat in has made either my but numb or lower back neck/pain after the first hour. :( You must have a personal "Archie Bunker" type chair reserved for your personal comfort in the HT, no? ;)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The PG6 and sony are very reliable projectors. I'm not surprised. The GP, however, will die. You should at least consider changing the caps in the stand-by supply to prevent the magic IC from blowing out. Other than that, keep on watching.

I thought about those cinema chairs as well, but it's really hard to sit in one for 2 hours. So I used a plush sofa instead.

Low tech? Hey, I started with a video only 1041 sony, a VCR as a source, a cheap 100" diagonal screen hung on the wall, and a set of computer speakers from advent (with sub).

It was GREAT! When I got my first PG9, the stakes went up :D

Now it has evolved into a dedicated room, stage, curtains, lighting, in-wall everything, with a 105" diag, 16:9 Silverstar screen. IT'S GREAT! LOL.

This was a slow, one thing at a time process, but I have had a lot of fun doing it. In 5 years, neither the sony (now given away) or the PG9 have given me any trouble either.

It's a fine hobby!

Marc

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The newer stadium seats are pretty comfy, but I doubt anyone gives those away for free. The old kind I would definitely have to pass on in favor of my couch!

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
If you are comparing the numbers of repairs here to say the digital forum, it's going to be much higher here because our pj's are repairable and we all fix them even end users fix them thanks to this board. Those other types just get tossed.

Troy
I guess you do not count the bulb exploding??

It seems every one I know who has one has the bulb go around 1 year and they have no PJ for some time as they have to order the bulb which seems to never be in stock.

Some buy 2 after the first time of having to wait many months for a bulb..

To me if a bulb goes then the PJ is broken.

And just look at the cost of a bulb it cost as much or more then most repairs to a CRT and the CRT seems to only need this once in say 5 years and the parts seem to be available.

Thats my $0.02

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
While there are multiple posts in that other forum about bulbs going, most seem to last pretty close to their expected lifetime. However, when they go early, then tend to go dramatically, so there seems to be a bunch of posts about the damage that an exploded bulb can cause as well. Kind of interesting to factor into the ole cost calculation.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Dramatically? Like the involuntary bowel movement induced by the exploding projector? Yeah, that's pretty dramatic, all right :D

Marc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.