Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a problem....

I walk into my theater room and look around... look up to the ceiling at the back... ah my CRT projector! I'm bored lets tweek!

Except that... It doesn't need it...

The geometry is as close to perfect as I can get.

The focus is spot on

The convergence hasn't shifted in months since my last mechanical / electrical setup. And warm-up time is down to 15 mins and holding...

Calibration is the best I have ever had, got my source and PJ in harmony, black is black, white is white - and everything inbetween is where is should be - the colors arn't shifted the grayscale is set...

I found a sweetspot for scanlines, and the HTPC end is scaling flawlessly...

I'm all out of tweeks - and I need to tweek - it's my hobby.

Is it serious when you consider opening the hood the PJ, and randomly move controls to mess it up --- just so you can dial it back in?

- Rick

·
Registered
198 Posts
Buy another one.

Preferably with phosphor burnt to a crisp, water damage and a colony of ants beneath the convergence board.

It should keep you busy for a week or two.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I agree. Buy a second unit and then double stack.

Curt

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
"No problems"???

Yes, I see one problem...it is you:p

I agree buy another, fix it up and sell it, keep doing this until the urge to tweak subsides...or seek professional help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Come over to my place in Allentown, PA, and you can tweak my VPH 1030 or my electrohome 3100 to your heart's content. I wont even charge you for it.... but if you burn anything or destroy it, I will have to charge you....

But seriously, if I was at your stage as far as getting everything in ship shape, I would be very very happy!!!!

I would be watching movies and enjoying myself!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Rick

What about the screen, room and sound, any inprovements there?

Deron.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Vell come in, and have a comfortable seat on the couch.

Ve have a name for this addiction, and it's called tweekaholic.

So tell me about your childhood memories......

Terry

·
Registered
283 Posts
I assume you're not using an HTPC to run this PJ. Too bad, because then you always have different things to tweak, new software to try, hardware and software to upgrade...it's never ending!

Dan

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well - I just upgraded my whole sound system, new reciever, new speakers, gone from 5.1 to 7.2 - so thats all good.

The HT room is good enough for now... the GF is hinting that we need to move so I'm not wanting to sink too much time and effort into it, it's light controlled, got all my racking and storage, PJ is up on the ceiling, floors / walls / ceilings all black.

There is a screen project I'm wanting to start - currently I have a 16:9 perminant tensioned screen with full front wall matting. I want to go for a constant hight, varible width set-up with varible side matting, but I'm not going to do that if we're moving any time soon.

The HTPC was* complete too, appart from installing new versions of ZP when they come out I'd not made any changes in months. It's in a Kanam HTPC case, and pretty much silient appart from the videocard...

*SO --- yesterday, while looking for something to tweek, I ordered a 80A zalman cooler for my Radeon9500pro video card in the HTPC, should silience down the last audiable componant. Well... in protest of the thought of having it's fan ripped off... when I decided to watch a movie last night, the overlay was all fubar, windows errors about the video drivers... so tonight I get to do a system install to get it all up and running again!

Curt you are an evil man... but I like your style! :)

- Rick

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I agree with all of the other posters who said "buy another one" . I've got a heavy duty coffee table under "my" projector that I plunk tweak pj's on and play with. Most nights I end up playing instead of even turning on the Barco. Its in the same state as your permanent install one now, just turn it on and watch, what could be more dull ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
re buy another one.

This is not good advice .I know because I have been down this road and now I have 2 x Sony 1292 and 1 x Marquee 9500(no ants and new tubes) all working perfectly.Rebuilding projectors and tweaking are good therapy,just realize there are consequences to this type of behaviour :D

Andrew

PS anyone want to buy a Sony

·
Registered
198 Posts
Atom - I see your point. I've been looking at e-bay even though I'm content with my PJ. I know its a daft thing to do but I JUST CAN'T HELP IT!

How about this - find a technically inept friend who wants a primo home theatre.

Show him your setup, offer to set up his theatre. You get all of the tweaking with none of the CRT build-up.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.