AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

Is it true that the Xbox can play games at 480p or 720p. Through its component video cables.

But can the 480p be switched to 480i so I can scale it with my Faroudja NR scaler to 720p. I don't think my Faroudja NR scaler can accept a progressive scan signal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's true that the X-Box can play games at 480P, 720P, and 1080i if you purchase the hi-def A/V pack ($19.99). THe options can be set from the video menu. However, I belive it is up the game desinger to determine which resolutions are actually supported. I've been looking on the games to indicate which modes they support, and none of them yet seem to indicate the specifics.

RV

·
Registered
730 Posts
This bums me out . . . I was hoping Bill Gates would subsidize my purchase of a progressive scan DVD player. Perhaps they figured out that many people would abuse them that way and dropped the feature. (If people don't buy games, MSFT loses money.)

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
So far, the resolution is set by the A/V connector you attach to the Xbox. It's 480i unless you have the HD pack. When you add the HD pack, then you can select 480p, 720p or 1080i support. The ultimate resolution is determined by the game itself. As of right now all seen to be 480p only.There are, so far, no resolution choices in the games I have seen.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman
This bums me out . . . I was hoping Bill Gates would subsidize my purchase of a progressive scan DVD player. Perhaps they figured out that many people would abuse them that way and dropped the feature. (If people don't buy games, MSFT loses money.)
Actually, Stacey Spears has repeatedly said that it's more of a DVD legal issue that the progressive-scan DVd output was disabled. To comply, MS would have to output Macrovision in the signal as well, which I believe won't work for the games.:(

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
"Unfortunately in order to enable DVD movie playback Microsoft forces you to purchase their $30 DVD playback kit which consists of nothing more than a remote and an IR receiver for the remote that plugs into a controller port. The quality of the DVD playback is definitely respectable. We compared it to a Sony DVP-NS700P and in interlaced (480i) mode the quality of the Xbox DVD output through component video cables was respectable. True home theater enthusiasts will scoff at the output resolution limitation of the Xbox's DVD playback as it cannot output a 480p or progressive scan DVD movie signal. This isn't because of a hardware limitation rather that it does not support Macrovision in 480p mode. It shouldn't be too hard for a few skilled individuals to get around this limitation however."

This is from a very informative article at Anandtech, seems the writer implys that people may be upgrading their Xbox's like many of us did with Tivo... (maybe upgrade memory, upgrade to faster hard drive, upgrade DVD drive, upgrage to 480p, I can see sites popping up soon to send your Xbox in ...)

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1561

Read the whole article here:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
A PC outputs in RGBHV and Macrovision does not support that. The XBOX video outputs are based on the HDTV spec EIA 770.3, which uses YPbPr and macrovision is required atr 480p.

The conextant chip (video encoder) inside the XBOX does not support macrovision at 480p and that is why 480p was disabled. This issue popped up a few months before it went gold. 480p was planned until they were told to turn it off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wait a minute, did you just say you watched many movies under 480p on XBOX????!!! Please share your secret!

The main reason I wanted XBox is its potential to output DVD at 540p or 1080i. My Toshiba doesn't do anamophic squeeze with 480p...

Thanks

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Stacey's "secret" is really no big secret.

Look where he lives, and figure it out from there ;) If that doesn't tell you, read his Biography on the

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity website
, which spells it out for you all the way!

Regards,

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Quote:
My Toshiba doesn't do anamophic squeeze with 480p...
Neither did the XBOX. I tried like hell to get that and many other things for DVD playback, but the team at ST (Ravisent) has a hard enough time just compiling their software without warnings and errors, forget about getting usefull features!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stacey,

Thanks for trying, though!!! Now, other than HTPC and expensive scalers, I guess I am out of luck in terms of tricking my Toshiba to do the squeeze... What about the latest Zenith STB? Would that upscale DVD input to 540p or 1080i?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.