AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought it was a setting on my HTPC. However, after playing with the "2-4 Level Calibration" receiver setting there are still no tones coming out of the rear speakers during the test. Can anyone offer input regarding what else I can try?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gone through all the receiver settings and don't see where to tell it there are rears. The speakers are plugged up correctly and wired to the "SURR BACK SPEAKERS" posts.

The only way I've forced the receiver to test the rear speakers is via the "Speaker Setup" which sends a tone through each individual speaker. A tone goes through all but the rears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! I'm running 5.0. The .1 may be a new thread tomorrow
But yes, 5.1, no 7.x...at least not yet.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Press "set-up" on the remote...

A bunch of things will pop up(I can't look at the manual, but you have one)

One of them will be "speaker setup" (more than likely number 2 or 3)

when you select that...you'll see another list...one is "speaker config"

When you press that...

You'll see a big long list of speakers to choose from. Typically...

Subwoofer (yes/no)

Front (large/40hz/50hz....)

center (none/40hz/50hz....)

surround (none/40hz/50hz...)

surr back (none/40hz/50hz...)

surr back channel (1 speaker or 2 based on whether you put in a crossover on "surr back")

LPF of LFE (80hz/90hz......)

Double bass (on/off)

Did you see that screen?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
schan1269, that's the area I've spent the most time manipulating settings. Here is the configuration for that screen (2-2 Speaker Configuration):

Subwoofer - Yes

Front - Full Band

Center - 100Hz

Surround - 100Hz

Front High - None

Surr Back - None

Surr Back Ch - ---- (grayed out)

LF of LFE - 100Hz

Double Bass - Off

Maybe they are wired incorrectly. Based on the above, they should be wired to the "SURR SPEAKERS" instead?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Yep, or you could just change surround to "no" and surr back to 100hz...

Edit:

Just tried that on my Integra DTR 8.8, and it won't allow you to "skip" the surround to turn on "surr back"...

By the way, Integra is Onkyo's "installer" division...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my, I believe I did wire them incorrectly! I'm now in the "Level Calibration" screen again. There is now a tone going through the rear speakers after highlighting both the "Surr Back R" and "Surr Back L" settings. I will re-wire the speakers in the morning.

The Windows 7 Audio Configuration is even putting a test tone through the speakers after configuring it for 7.1. My pride is a bit dinged at the moment but I do appreciate the help from the both of you. I can't wait to finally try out a bitstreamed blu-ray tomorrow!

·
Registered
235 Posts
And...why don't you want to hook them up to the "surround" [not "surround back"] channels? That's the proper hookup in a 5.1 system, after all...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
farkem, the speakers were wired that way because I believed it to be the proper setup for 5.1. I was under the presumption that "SURR SPEAKERS" were placed between the fronts and "REAR SURR SPEAKERS" for use in 7.1 setups. Apparently I had it backwards. It boggles my mind that "REAR SURR SPEAKERS" are not actually located in the very REAR of the setup

Is this standard verbiage for 7.x receivers?

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
yes...

Front

center

subwoofer

surround (4 and 5)

Rear surround (6 and 7)

To further "muddle it"...some companies say rear surround, some say back surround...but in any case...surround is always 4/5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts