AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-NR5008 receiver for a 9.2 setup with two height speakers. Running PLIIz, I just realized my rear surround speakers weren't working when I tried using a 7.1 test disc. Switching to other modes they came on. When using PLIIz, however, I get the rear surround channel coming from the side surrounds. This does not occur in other modes. Any ideas? The manual states that PLIIz can accept a 7.1 signal and output 9.2.

EDIT: I've tried both a blu-ray in PCM and BITSTREAM as well as my HTPC via HDMI bitstreaming, so I do believe this is an issue with the receiver.

·
Banned
919 Posts
The Onkyo 3010 does not show this issue. Is there a firmware update available for you? The latest on the Onkyo website is from 07-05-2012. Don't trust the firmware checker to see if there is a newer one, it does not always see the latest since some are USB update only, such as this one.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php?source=globalnav

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked and as I suspected the Front High+Wide setting is disabled. I tested this a bit further and the surround rear speakers work fine when running Windows sound test. This got me thinking and I reconfigured my LAV filter to PCM instead of bitstream. Sure enough the rear surrounds work! When switching back to bitstream, however, they do not (rear surround audio comes from side surrounds). When switching to PLIIx from PLIIz, the rear surrounds come back on, so I know it's not a bitstream issue. It has to be something with the way PLIIz handles bitstream audio. The Onkyo display DOES show all 9 speakers active, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I am running the latest firmware, so my next step would be to contact Onkyo. I find it hard to believe, however, that I'm the first to uncover this bug -- surely many with 9-channels use PLIIz and would have noticed this before me...

·
Banned
919 Posts
Maybe it is a bug in the LAV filter instead...like it is sending empty channels to the Onkyo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts