AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked both the regular and outlet store. There is nothing for sale (though they still have a $50 rebate advertised on their main page). Is it now purely an ebay/craigslist market? Are they eliminating all methods of getting the hardware so that new buyers are all pushed towards the new Hauppage/ReplayTV vaporware? Did I miss something?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The only thing you missed was the press release saying they expected to completely sell the remaining 55XX inventory in December 2005.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey nded, explain your sig. I have two 5xxx ReplayTVs on my LAN (along with two macs). Why would I want to run WiRNS? I thought that was primarily for folks who wanted to make their 55xxs operate like 5xxxs.

·
Registered
720 Posts
yeah. :( and I only *need* one more..

Ryan

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester2
Hey nded, explain your sig. I have two 5xxx ReplayTVs on my LAN (along with two macs). Why would I want to run WiRNS? I thought that was primarily for folks who wanted to make their 55xxs operate like 5xxxs.
WiRNS Features:

- Automatic/Manual software update via WiRNSMon.

- Web based scheduling for 4000/5000 users.

- Alternative guide delivery (Canadians, other non-Americans).

- XMLTV guide delivery (Canadians, other non-Americans).

- Configurable channel lineup offsets.

- Web based channel guide.

- Low Bandwidth/Dial-up version of Web based channel guide.

- Web based ReplayGuide. Shows what's recorded.

- Schedule daily/weekly netconnects.

- Download or schedule download of shows.

- Downloaded shows are DVArchive and IVSMagic compatable.

- SmartDownload - WiRNS knows when your Replay is busy and will adjust the download rate automatically.

- UPNP server.

- Virtual Replay - View your WiRNS ReplayGuide on your Replays.

- Virtual Replay - Stream downloaded shows to your Replay.

- Change show recording options.

- Web page security.

- Use a secondary web port in case your ISP blocks port 80.

- Web-based remote control.

- Automatically grabs Zap2it lineup info and adds to discovered Replays during setup.

- Support for up to 3 Zap2it accounts = up to 12 channel lineups.

- Runs as a service on Windows NT/2K/XP.

- Can run in a hidden window on Windows 9x/ME/NT/2K/XP.

- Tivo style ToDo list.

- Show searching (better than replays).

- PPV Support for DISH Network.

- Set your own time to update the guide.

- NTP Client for the WiRNS Computer.

- NTP "server"/proxy.

- DNS "server"/proxy - no reverse lookups & only for local LAN.

- Set your own NTP server IP - registry setting at HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\WiRNS\\configuration\

tpip.

- System tray service monitor/controller for Win9x/ME/NT/2K/XP.

- Headend Remapper - A sample remapchan.csv.sample file is included which is already setup for 4DTV.

- Selective plugin loading via registry HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\WiRNS\\plugins - 1 loads, 0 doesn't load.

- Support for WiRNS behind NAT router for remote ReplayTV's (see wirns.hosts).

- Manual Guide Updater (on Datadirect Configuration Page).

- "Automagic" (almost) Dish PPV settings.

- Force a net connect via the WiRNS web page.

- Grabs a screen-shot of your replay.

- Control updates/scheduling via MyReplayTV.com.

- Database integrity validation.

- Includes j.m.'s GetShellCommands, NoSoftwareUpdate and IVSProvider plugins.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'm just not "getting it", just as many folks don't "get it" as to why a replaytv or other dvr is so great. The only thing I see on that list that jumps out at me is the Tivo-style to do list. The ability to web-schedule also sounds good, though not compelling. The down side is that I'd have to run a server 24/7 and it would have to be a windows box, with all the inherent instability, spyware, viruses, etc that I don't have to deal with in the mac world. I've gotten too used to having a laptop that I never have to reboot to want to go back to that world again.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Hey Ryan, explain your sig. Just what happened to the other 8 people? are they Soylent Green? ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
Hey Ryan, explain your sig. Just what happened to the other 8 people? are they Soylent Green? ;)
YES!!! :)

Ryan

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I'm just not "getting it", just as many folks don't "get it" as to why a replaytv or other dvr is so great.
For me, it's time-saving believe it or not. And I don't have to go through the pain-and I mean PAIN- of sitting through commercials that are missing their target market on me. plus, I'mve found that half of the hour of local news is simply redundant 'previews' of what they are going to talk about 'coming up.' An hour of news is compressed into 15 minutes or less of what I actually care about.

Quote:
The down side is that I'd have to run a server 24/7 and it would have to be a windows box, with all the inherent instability, spyware, viruses, etc that I don't have to deal with in the mac world. I've gotten too used to having a laptop that I never have to reboot to want to go back to that world again.
I run a laptop with a broken screen I got from a friend for a song, run win2k, a web server, ftp server, remote desktop server (remember the broken screen bit), mail server, stateful firewall (Sygate personal free edition) and WiRNS and it hasn't crashed or needed a reboot from the beginning. AND all those servers are high quality and available open source or free.

total cost: about $35. try to do all that with a mac.

I'm afraid there is some misconception about the 'inherent instability, spyware, viruses, etc' for windows, probably mostly due to its ubiquity and inexperienced users. In good hands, it works well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlava
For me, it's time-saving believe it or not. And I don't have to go through the pain-and I mean PAIN- of sitting through commercials that are missing their target market on me.
I don't have that issue. Both of my machines are 50XXs with CA.

Quote:
I'm afraid there is some misconception about the 'inherent instability, spyware, viruses, etc' for windows, probably mostly due to its ubiquity and inexperienced users. In good hands, it works well.
I do understand that some combos of hardware/software/networking do OK under windows so long as you keep up on the latest "anti-threat" software updates. However, I use windows exclusively at work and despite the best attempts of our IT department all of our machines crash or freeze on a regular basis...probably because we try to use them with a very wide variety of software. They have been "mostly" secure from viruses and spyware, except when they weren't. I am always going over to friends/relatives houses to try to fix their PCs (I'm the local computer geek). Sure, I could probably run a PC network if I stayed up on all the anti-virus stuff and kept things simple, but my philosophy is why bother with all that B.S. when I don't have to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
I don't have that issue. Both of my machines are 50XXs with CA.

I do understand that some combos of hardware/software/networking do OK under windows so long as you keep up on the latest "anti-threat" software updates. However, I use windows exclusively at work and despite the best attempts of our IT department all of our machines crash or freeze on a regular basis...probably because we try to use them with a very wide variety of software. They have been "mostly" secure from viruses and spyware, except when they weren't. I am always going over to friends/relatives houses to try to fix their PCs (I'm the local computer geek). Sure, I could probably run a PC network if I stayed up on all the anti-virus stuff and kept things simple, but my philosophy is why bother with all that B.S. when I don't have to.
I don't get it. I run both macs and PCs, and until I got married and had to share a desktop computer with my wife, I never got a single virus or spyware. A server that just sits there and never surfs the web or gets email, and is behind a router, well, how could it get infected? You could be running the crappiest least secure services on it, but if all ports are blocked except one for WiRNS, it's going to be pretty solid.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah, until I just bought a laptop with Symantec Anti-virus installed, I haven't run anti-virus software on any of my PC's (years of use). I had one virus in all that time. Don't even remember the name of it, just that it was a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglips
...and until I got married and had to share a desktop computer with my wife, I never got a single virus or spyware...
I think that's the main point right there. If you are the sole user and have total control over the operation of the machine, or buy a PC solely to lock in a closet, you can escape that stuff as long as you stay alert. For many of us who have families (particularly teenagers), this kind of security is unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
498 Posts
two simple rules how NOT to get a virus.

1) DO NOT RUN INTERNET EXPLORER!! it used to be there were a handful of sites (banking in particular) that you still needed IE. now I can't remember the last time I've fired it up.

2) DO NOT USE ANY MS EMAIL, ESPECIALLY OUTLOOK EXPRESS! a good webmail should be your first choice (gmail is great!), and if you can't do that run thunderbird instead. at one time I swore I would never use a webmail client, until I met gmail. haven't look back since!

I'm not particularly anti ms at all, on my home network I've got 2 dedicated servers, one running ms, one on linux. (the linux also hosts a microsoft VM if that counts...) windows xp/2003 is very stable, for normal server use it is just as stable as linux. when you start loading tons of crap on it and violating the above two steps then you will see all kinds of bad stuff happen.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbolen70
yeah. :( and I only *need* one more..

Ryan
ebay works.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use Windows XP, IE, and Outlook Express. I can't remember the last time my computers were infected with a virus that my antivirus program didn't catch. I have not had a system crash in years either. The main thing is as davester2 said:
Quote:
If you are the sole user and have total control over the operation of the machine, or buy a PC solely to lock in a closet, you can escape that stuff as long as you stay alert. For many of us who have families (particularly teenagers), this kind of security is unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasco
I use Windows XP, IE, and Outlook Express. I can't remember the last time my computers were infected with a virus that my antivirus program didn't catch. I have not had a system crash in years either. The main thing is as davester2 said:
fry's electronics still has replaytv in there inventory. for now...

·
Registered
720 Posts
I got hooked up with a 5040. thx L8er!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If I remember the "order of things":

50xx's suddenly appeared again in the outlet, we cleaned them out.

Then they had 5580's and 5516's, reduced down to 5516's.

Then one day the 5516's were gone and in their place was a "It's COMING" kinda splash screen.

So either:

a. DNNA really did blow everything out before 06

B. When they got levels low enough and were ready for the press release they pulled what was left of the inventory. This would also explain why the few RMA's from the last sale didn't seem to end up back out on the sale block.

Anywho sucks that I snoozed and didn't pickup a backup unit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just picked up a 5504 new in box from ebay. Seller (inertia2) seems to have a stack of them for sale. Buy-it-now price is $95US + shipping. As far as I can tell, the Replay $50 mail-in rebate should apply (the terms & conditions don't indicate where you have to buy the unit); in fact, the rebate form says "Purchase and activate any Replay TV 5500 series DVR and receive a $50 mail-in rebate."

Don't know how many are left, but it's the best deal I've seen in a long while, especially considering the shortage of N.I.B. units on the market.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.