AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much angst, I've come to depressing realization that a SVS sub is simply too large for my room (10x17) and will not pass SAF muster. So I'm now in the market for a sub with a smaller footprint that is roughly comparable in quality for both music and HT. I don't really need incredible extension (flat to 25 Hz is fine) or SPL levels (remember, its a small room), just fast, accurate bass. I'm willing to spend up to $1,500 for the sub, but would prefer something in the $800 to $900 range so that I could spend the extra $$ on equalization. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Hi Ken,

Checking your equipment list, I see you have the Focal Aria 5s and Madisound Vifa A/V kits. Since it really sounds like you are looking for SVS type performance in a footprint and size more appropriate to your room, a DIY or kit option might be just the ticket. As for another great option for either a finished sub, or even a kit, check out Adire Audio at www.adireaudio.com. I believe they have one sub which uses their Shiva 12" driver in a taller enclosure with a relatively small footprint.

You don't mention just how small you need the sub to be? What sort of size constraints do you have, and could you also consider a pair of smaller subwoofers in the room? Stryke Audio ( www.stryke.com ) also has their very high quality SB-10 and SB-12 drivers which are intended for sealed enclosures. Combine a pair of sealed subs (12" if possible) with something like a QSC DSP-3, 2 ch processor/EQ and you could get some phenomenal results. The DSP-3 can be had for ~$300, and then you just need amplification. It could even be an excuse to upgrade the Adcom 555 series you have in your music system ;).

Lots of options. Let us know where you are flexible.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
VELODYNE SPL1200

$749 b-stock at onecall.

about 1/2dB behind the $2500 HGS15 when both were measured by Tom Nousaine.

TV

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the helpful replies.

Mark:

I would really like the idea of a DIY or kit -- I had a blast building the Vifa A/Vs and the Aria 5s. I also like the idea of separate amplification and equalization -- that's how I was planning on going when I first decided on the SVS CS Ultra and Samson amp. I'm really disappointed that the SVS won't work in my room -- its height is the real limiter for me because it would obtrude from behind the sofa and visually dominate the back part of the room. Because the room is not a dedicated HT, but rather a multipurpose room in a walkout basement, the wife decided that a big black cylinder was not an appropriate part of the decor. (In all honesty, I don't think it would have looked that bad placed next to the black Vifa A/Vs on black stands, but that's a debate I'm not going to win).

So -- size wise, a pair of 12" or 14" cubes would be perfect. They would fit neatly in the back corners of the room next to the rear speakers and would not stand-out visually. With an EQ, I could probably compensate for most of the negative effects of their placement. I'll check out the Adire and Stryke kits, but I'll admit that I don't have the greatest woodworking skills nor do I have the necessary tools. So I might want to look into ready-made cabinets (assembled or unassembled).

TV:

Thanks for the heads up on the Velodyne. Given its size, it might fit the bill. I know that's it highly rated for output by Tom Nousaine. The recommendation is especially appreciated coming from you, knowing that the CS Ultra will be headed back . . . :(

- Ken

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'm not sure this is the recommended placement, but is there a reason you couldn't set the CS Ultra on its side?

Just curious about that as an alternative....

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.