Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can UPS possibly be topped? Maybe! :rolleyes:

Here goes: Three weeks ago I bought a nice 9pg off Ericglo and I decided to use FreightQuote.com to set up the freight for me. The lady there did a very nice job of figuring out the details and we arranged to have Eric drop off the crated projector at the Miami terminal and I would receive it at work on our dock in NW Arkansas. So far it sounds great. This cost me $153. Eric bolted the pg to a piece of 1/2" MDF and built a crate all the way around it using the same lumber with 2by's for the braces. SAIA then put it on a pallet and sent it on its journey around the world, starting Aug. 2. By the 2nd day it was in Atlanta and I was pumped. Then it disappeared off the radar for a couple days and I got worried so I rang SAIA. "Looks like it's lost and we have no idea where it is". Wonderful!

A week goes by and it's still off the grid, SAIA nor FreightQuote have a clue where it is. I happen to check on Aug 11 and wowzas, it was in Minnesota! Half way to the north pole but at least it's back en route so I got excited... it finally arrived at work on Aug 15 (2 weeks in transit) but I was on vacation so I didn't get to see it until today. Boy was I disappointed when I saw the shape it was in. The crate was all but destroyed and the remote was hanging out on the pallet. It looks like they were using it as a wheel chock or something, based on the marks on the crate.

Here are some pics:

The back side wasn't even attached on arrival:
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_damage_crate1.jpg

Broken trim due to weight from above pushing top down and out:
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_damage_crate2.jpg

The crate sanded the corners of the black paint off, which is why there's sawdust everywhere.
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_damage_crate3.jpg

Geesh, did this thing hit asphalt on the interstate?
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_damage_crate4.jpg

A 3/16" gouge in the MDF from contact with the corner of the lens bezel:
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_damage_crate5.jpg

This is what's left of the Bill of Lading and the pallet:
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_damage_crate6.jpg

Def Board frame bent after bar on top bent down onto the heatsink:
http://www.arkansasmud.com/misc/NEC_...fbrd_frame.jpg

What you can't see in these pics is all the screws that are missing.. I've already found 7 screws missing, 3 of which I have found in the bottom of the case. The projector did fire up but made a buzzing noise and lost horizontal stability for a few seconds, then the fuse blew (I think) and now it won't even power on. I'm pulling parts looking for screws that might be causing shorts and it looks like I'll have to strip this thing damn near to bare chassis to be sure there aren't any.

I'm going to call the agent at FreightQuote tomorrow and let her know about the damage but I'd like to know what you folks would recommend that I specifically ask for? At first I thought I might just need a Def Brd but now it seems that the big power supply across the front might be fubar. This is my first CRT so I'm hesistant to completely dismantle it but it'll be good education if I don't break a tube (which are pretty nice so that would be a damned shame).

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
NO offense, but I learned the hard way about this. Crating is NOT the way to go with CRT's. Especially if they are not strapped to a pallet. ONce a trucker sees a solid crate, it gets bounced all over the place. Hey, the crate can take it, right?

What happens is that a crate like this can take a lot of punishment however the projector cannot. A crate made of plywood or MDF will simply transfer any vibration or shock right to the projector as you've seen.

A better way (yet seemingly more fragile) is to wrap the set in two layers of big bubble wrap. Put a pad of about 2" foam on the pallet, and rope or strap the projector to the pallet. Cover in cardboard if you want.

Any shock will then be absorbed by the bubble wrap and the foam. Haven't lost a set yet since I've done that about 2 years ago.

Hopefully whoever signed for the set noted the damage. If not, you might be SOL on the damage claim .

I'm going to p/u a BArco 708 for service, sent to me via UPS. My US depot called, it received...'some damage'.

Yeah, I'll bet..:(

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Frankly, get them to write the unit off. Get another set, and chances are you get to keep that one for parts. THey have no use for it, and with those pix they should have little recourse.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
You shouldn't have let them take it off the truck...take photos and get them to take it back to the depo to process your claim.

I am AMAZED the tube necks aren't broken!!

Was it floating on a bed of foam? That's how we ship delicate medical instruments at work - pallet + foam bed + crate + FRAGILE STICKERS (and tilt/shock watch gadgets).

But Curt's probably right about using a cardboard box over the top - they won't top load onto a cardboard box.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Frankly, the crate desing was not good too. It seems PJ was not mounted on the floor of the crate and had no foam to absorb shocks under it. No wonder that screws are gone when it had to stand all the vibration!

It is NOT possible to use NAILS!!!! Just screws.

More of that, screws should be spread along whole lenth and not just in the middle! The wood blocks should be longer and larger and it would be good if they were glued there.

It was very bad desing of the crate and if I had to choose one thing which caused the PJ damage, it was the badly desinged crate.

This was TORTURE for the projector! Shame on you, Ericglo, I think you will go to hell for this... :D

·
Banned
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
A better way (yet seemingly more fragile) is to wrap the set in two layers of big bubble wrap. Put a pad of about 2" foam on the pallet, and rope or strap the projector to the pallet. Cover in cardboard if you want.

Any shock will then be absorbed by the bubble wrap and the foam. Haven't lost a set yet since I've done that about 2 years ago.
This morning I am in very critical mood, so Curt, you are going to be my next victim! :)

I am not sure 2 inch foam is enough, just a weight of PJ will squeeze it in 1/2 inch, my guess, not much place for vibration protection? Would not thicker foam be better?

The bubble wrap is very fragile, it was never meant to serve this role, it is meant to wrap some small and light objects into a box. Would not that 2 inch foam be better than bubble wrap?

You know, I worked one summer for warehouse of american embassy here, (you need even american soap, no, you cannot buy our soap, you have to import your own soap proudly made in USA!), we were moving a lot of stuff around, furniture, etc, and i am afraid that Curts package would not survive our service!

BTW, we were installing new luxurious american furniture in diplomat residences and the furniture, even it looked great, was very poor quality, it was dissasembling in our hands, and it was not because our hands were too careless. If you want I can name you the brands of that bad furniture, I have somewhere the leaflets of that furniture.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Stepan, get an English dictionary, and look up the meaning of the word "tact", or even "diplomacy".

One day you might need a favour from somebody...

·
Banned
522 Posts
Yes, i know I do not behave polite every time. I am very sincere. I say what I think. This causes problems but saves me from other problems. I think this is part of my nature and there is very little I can do about it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Buttspice,

(Sheeesh, you really need to update your profile with a name.)

Contact SAIA freight with the claim. At first, I would advise contacting their 1-800 service number and not trying to get in touch with Trixie who-ze-whatzit (your previous contact). Keep it cordial and polite. But make clear the living Hell they put you through with the mis-routed delivery, damage, delay, sentimental value, etc. Mention your photos and the fact you would have refused shipment had you known it was coming a week and a half after the estimated delivery time. Claim the entire value of the shipment. It's important you make your full and complete case in your initial call to SAIA. Based on the info, I don't believe they would deny your claim. And don't forget to request a refund for the shipper on the transportation charges. Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Perhaps someone needs a nap. Stepan?

·
Banned
522 Posts
Nap?! I am after quite a long nap, and i am fully fresh, you can hardly have me fresher! I am slowly approaching a brain power maximum of the day, so watch me!!!

Mwuaha ha haaaaa! :D

(devillish laughter)

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Wow,

I'm so glad that didn't happen to either of the Marquee's I sent with freightquote.

It's really sad if you have to just eat the loss.

I know when I used frieghtquote (both times) it told me there was like $150 max claim for damage. That could be becuase of the variables I put into the quote. When I started looking for some insurance on the shipment the prices jumped from $200 to $500.

With all the upgrading and buying of pj's that's currently going on this post hopefully will remind people of what can and does sometimes happen.

It's sooo satisfy-ing to find a local unit that can actually be seen working at the place you buy it.

-Brian

p.s. Buttsplice,.. Maybe I mis-read the end of your post but I think you were asking what to ask for from freightquote in terms of fixing the pj. The only thing to ask them for is money and I think the only thing you might get is a refund on the shipping cost. I would love to wrong and read that the just refunded you the cost of the item. GOod Luck.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I send PJ's in crates all the time. The trick is to somehow attach the PJ so that it can't move around and also have it isolated from the pallet so that vibration can't get to it. Once you do that you are just building the crate around it so that it doesn't get damaged from being bumped into.

Taking a crate to a shipper and having them just put the crate on a Pallet is really asking for trouble. The unit has to be moved so many times that unless the crate is strapped to a pallet it to easy for the crate to slip or fall off the pallet. That's what it looks like happened here.

The poblem with just putting cardboard over the PJ is that Forward Air will not insure your shipment in cardboard and want it in 3/8" wood crate min.

Terry

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Thank god I have my b!tch local. Thank Terry! :D

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I shipped a crated PJ to Curt recently (let me know when it gets there, Curt) but I went whole-hog... hardwood pallet, high density foam under the unit, cardboard under friction straps holding the PJ down, 2x2 lumber around the whole bottom perimeter, commercial plywood crate with nice stenciled "do not stack / fragile" in english and three european languages (as well as iconographically.)

This started life as the crate my BG801 came to me in, so I figured I'd reuse it.

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
I knew I was going to take some abuse on this.

Let me give you more background. I told Buttsplice (it is splice, not spice) that I would sell him the pj for $500 and he could handle the shipping to get the best price. Price was a concern. Going from a previous thread on shipping, Buttsplice contacted Freightquote. The lady at Freightquote gave him prices of various shippers. She recommended SAIA as the one to go with, because she had better luck with them than the others. He even paid a little more to go with them over a couple of other companies. So, that is how he came to use SAIA.

Now, on to the crate. I don't ship anything of this nature, so this was a first for me. I was going off of info I had read on a couple of threads. I think Bruce stated that he ships pjs by bolting them down to a pallet and building a crate around them. He said he doesn't use foam between the bottom of the pj and the pallet. Bruce said he ships over seas and has not had a problem with this method. I could have easily picked up some foam at HD for less than $5 and thought about it, but decided against it. I went with a crate, because shipping was supposedly cheaper with a crate. I used MDF all around. The projector was bolted to the bottom of the crate. I did use nails because the my drill was broken.

I talked to Eric on the phone last night about what to do. I told him to post on the forum and sollicit some advice. I said he should call Freightquote and talk to the lady there. She recommend SAIA and not only was the projector lost it was damaged. I told him to lean on her and let her yell at SAIA. After all, he paid more to go with a supposedly better shipper. He should at least get his shipping money back, but in my opinion more money due to the damage to the crate.

On the pj, I told him he should take the whole projector apart and put it back together. This way he can find all the loose connections and screws. I have some spare screws, but I sent most to Mark (can you ship me some back, please:)). I should have enough to take care of him. I will send him some paint, as well. I have some spare boards to replace ones that may be broken. Fortuantely the tubes and lenses are intact. I think that he can undue most of the damage by just going over it.

I have learned some things on shipping from this. I hope this experience can be educational for everyone else as well.

Ericglo

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Let me know what you need and I'll send the needed screws back - but I probably won't get the stuff for another 2 months...

Tinman (Marc) might be able to help (?) sooner.

Most of the ordinary screws are zinc plated M3 or M4 (the all in one screw/washer/spring washer are called SEMS - but any M3/M4 will do).

The self tappers and cosmetic screws are harder to come by - let me know how you go Eric/Buttsplice.

That crate has taken a knock hard enough to break the pallet - even with everything we've been describing I think the pj would still be damaged.

Mark

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
Mark,

Stepan is just mad because no one will buy him a pj. As a student in Prague who has no pj, parts or money, I will probably never need a favor from him.

Stepan,

I guess you must want me to take it back and ship it to you for free. :rolleyes: Maybe this is a way for you to promote your shipping solution, so you can be reimbursed for your supposedly original idea. :rolleyes: You are right about the nails and I deliberated over that for some time. My drill was not working though and I wanted to get it shipped. So, I took a chance.

On your warehouse experience, that is why we have a free market. In a free market, a shipper has to satisfy the customer. If not, then they will choose someone else.

Ericglo

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.