AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I tried asking this in another thread but maybe someone in the Technical section here can help.

My wife and I bought a new TV, and she saw the soap opera effect on my brother's 120hz vizio, and I had seen it on basically every other 120hz lcd that I viewed. So when we bought our new Vizio last week I just assumed it would be like that, and there would be settings for me to control it or turn it off. My wife really likes the SOE for TV shows and some movies. I like my movies normal, and other than that I just game or watch sports so it's not to big of an issue for me personally. But it's driving me nuts not being able to figure out how to turn this on. Does this TV simply not have the SOE? I've been through every setting, turned game mode off/on, looked through the advance settings...I have seen nothing for motion, hz, framerate or anything even remotely related. Did I just happen to buy the one led lcd out there that DOESN'T do this effect? Is it possible that something is defective? Is there some "hidden" setting in a service menu or something that I haven't been able to access?

Would it make a difference if I turned off all input (so the tv displays "no signal") and then maybe i would have different menu options? That's the only thing I haven't tried yet, and if I were at home right now i'd just try it out instead of asking.

I've been doing web searches for my tv / model for 2 days and can't find an answer. I just find people with other tv models saying the effect is too strong, and people advising them to go into their motion settings or game settings to tweak it.

And yes i've read through the manual and I see nothing about motion, interpolation, framerate anywhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the exact same TV, just purchased it about a week ago. There are no settings for SOE. I actually prefer it that way, which is one of the reasons I bought this set.

·
Registered
18,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsphan23  /t/1485874/no-settings-for-soe-motion-vizio-e551d-a0#post_23624633

I've been doing web searches for my tv / model for 2 days and can't find an answer. I just find people with other tv models saying the effect is too strong, and people advising them to go into their motion settings or game settings to tweak it.

And yes i've read through the manual and I see nothing about motion, interpolation, framerate anywhere.

Thanks

I responded in the other thread but did you purchase this at Costco? Sometimes mfrs will slightly alter a model so it can be sold exclusively by a single dealer. They change the model number a bit so you can't price match and then add/delete a feature or two. If you can't find the EXACT model number at another store or online, then that may be why you don't have the motion interpolation option where another, very similar model does.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great...so my wife wants it and I just happened to pick the one tv out of 100 that doesn't do it.

Otto i repsonded to you in the other thread but it sounds like we may have the answer...it just doesn't do it.

I want a TV that i can turn it off and on. Guess if i want to do that i will have to exchange it....man what a hassle.

·
Registered
18,431 Posts
Yeah I responded back to you in the other thread. It's odd that Vizio didn't include that user option because most tv's today have that ability. However, as I said in the other thread, motion interpolation is not done the same way by tv mfrs so some are better than others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still trying to decide whether this is a feature i care to have or not. I don't understand why you would buy a tv for the reason of not being able to use smooth motion / SOE / whatever. I mean, if it's a feature you can simply "turn off or on" in the settings of most other TV's, why would this hold even the slightest bit of weight for you when deciding what TV to get? What am i missing?

Another question I have kind of related to this topic is movies (or whatever type of programs) that are shot in a higher framerate. For example, people made a big deal about the hobbit being shot in 48fps, yet the bluray (to me anyway) just looks like every other bluray. Are all blurays 24 no matter what?

·
Registered
18,431 Posts
Motion interpolation (smooth motion feature) has been marketed towards the sports fan imo. In theory, any fast action (like sports or action movies) will be smoothed out and not have any blur associated with it. You can watch that home run ball go out of the park and see the ball, not the "streak" of the ball. It does work but the algorithms that each mfr uses are different so the quality of how that motion is interpreted varies from mfr to mfr., sometimes considerably.

Discussions on the SOE can be very heated and opinionated at times. Most hate it, some like, and others are indifferent. The "artificiality" of the picture is what drives people crazy. A 120Hz set is really only a 60Hz set with an "interpreted" frame inserted between each frame to smooth out the motion (60Hz x2 = 120Hz). That's a simplistic explanation. Some tv's have options to tweak the motion interpretation (you can change the judder and blur), use the pre-sets (low, medium, and high), or turn it off altogether. Other tv's don't give you the option at all or the choices are limited. I only use motion interpolation (low setting) when I'm watching television (OTA) but even then, some sources (programs) look better without it. I've just gotten used to it for tv. However, I'd never use it for a DVD/BD movie because I'm sort of a purist and don't like to artificially enhance my movies. Definitely a personal preference so there's no right or wrong here.

Blu-ray movies are 24fps and if your tv can natively display the 24fps source (not all tv's can but that may have changed with the newer tv's), then that's the best you can do. For me, using motion interpolation on top of that messes with the pq (imo) for me and I won't watch it because again, I don't like adding artificial enhancements to my viewing experience.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I could be wrong. However, I am under the impression that refresh rate and Motion Interpolation are two different animals. A TV can have a 120Hz refresh rate and NOT have a Motion Interpolation Processor. Therefore, having a TV without the ability to "turn it of" is not an impossibility.

·
Registered
18,431 Posts
When Motion Interpolation is turned off, a 120Hz set shows each original frame twice,

( 60fps x 2). 120Hz has a 120fps refresh rate which can't be turned off on some tv's, so it is forced to double 60fps.

A 60Hz does 60fps. A 120Hz does 60fps (shows each original frame twice) and mimics 120fps.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsphan23  /t/1485874/no-settings-for-soe-motion-vizio-e551d-a0#post_23628100

For example, people made a big deal about the hobbit being shot in 48fps, yet the bluray (to me anyway) just looks like every other bluray. Are all blurays 24 no matter what?

The Blu-ray releases of The Hobbit have been 24p AIUI. The core Blu-ray spec doesn't include 1080/48p - so they couldn't release a standard Blu-ray in that format. (In fact wasn't The Hobbit only 48p in selected 3D cinemas, with all 2D screenings, and some 3D screenings a 24p downconversion?)

However not all Blu-rays are 24p. I have 1080/50i, 1080/60i and 720/50p Blu-ray releases, in addition to 1080/24p ones.

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
SOE is when motion smoothing options turn ''the movie look'' into ''the video look''. Soap Opera Effect comes from broadcast television soap operas, which were typically shot using less expensive 60i video rather than film which gave them a cheap videolook .

Find all motion smoothing options on your TV and turn them on, and set Vizio SmoothMotion to max then you will have SOE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts