AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is just a fluke, or maybe it's a problem that I just hadn't noticed posted here until recently, but we just had three machines that needed to be unplugged and un-coax'd to get them to re-recognize the signal. All three had the error in the past four days. My Mother's 3k, and two 5040 refurbs at two different relatives homes. I've had my 2k for three year's and I've never had this problem.

I remembered that I had just seen the fix for this about a week ago and so I did a search here for "No Signal Detected", since that's the error on the screen, and only found a handful of references to this issue and only since the end of August. Is this a new problem or do I not know how to search? Actually every time I search I usually only get recent threads - is there some setting I need to fix to get it to search further back in the archives? Am I missing something.

I did find the thread with the fix - it was titled something to do with Hurricane Isabel. For some reason I remembered it being more complicated than it was. Actually the fix is simple and not a big problem - it's just the potential for lots of missed recordings when we're not home if this is going to continue to happen.

So does anyone know why it does happen and how to stop it in the future?

Thanks,

-em

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Can you two clarify the "no signal detected" problem.

Is this on all channels and no matter what you do the replay doesn't ever "find" the channels?

And what version of the software? 5.0 build 110?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just found this forum, but I can not find this information either. Ever since I originally purchased my Replay I have had this problem, when I change channels there is a blue screen that says "no video signal detected" for about 5 seconds before going to the video from the new channel. I have e-mailed ReplayTV.com about it a couple of times without getting it fixed. I have a RTV5060 with version 530501100 software. It is connected to a Jarrold analog cable box. The first time I talked to ReplayTV they told me that it would go away with the new version of software. It hasn't. Is this something that I am doing wrong or something that is only happening with my box.

Thanks for any help,

Vincent

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As none of these machines are within my reach right now, I'll have to check their software versions tomorrow. I can tell you, it's all of the channels. I can change the channels and the display at the top of the screen correctly shows what's on the channel. But the screen is blue and the message at the bottom says "No signal detected".

In the meantime, is this, or is this not a new problem? Like I said, I've owned an SS for three years and never saw this problem. That's not to say it won't happen, as it just happened on the 3k I gave my mom. So it's not just the 5k's this is happening to.

thanks again,

-em

·
Registered
6 Posts
no go :( I don't know about people whose machines started doing this with the hurricane, mine started the day I bought it. If there is anyone out there with ANY help, please post.

Thanks

Vince

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I had seen this, also a refurbed 5040. I did a lot of things to try and fix it.

Soft reset

I removed all inputs from the replay settings. That gives you a message there's no source setup, and you must add one.

I added the two back, RF and Input-2, the data downloaded.

That didn't help so I unplugged everything and restarted.

Still the blue screen.

Interesting note the replay would tune 1082 after restart. I don't think there are even 82 channels in my cable listing. (I understand the 1000+ mapping)

I then did something stupid (AND I CAN'T REMEMBER what it was) but all everything was fine. Oh, maybe it was turn the unit off and on?!?!? It was something REALLY DUMB but it worked. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I honestly don't remember.

·
Registered
248 Posts
After a power loss, one of my 5040s comes back unable to find a signal on any input, though directly connecting the input source (composite or S-video from cable box or D* box) to my TV proves the input source is good.

I stumbled onto what I consider voodoo magic that's worked the last four times: forcing a hard lockup on input selection and then rebooting. (Just rebooting or unplugging/disconnecting overnight didn't help.) :confused:

I use 888-Zones then press the left or right arrow buttons (changing inputs) until the system locks up. Then I do a soft reboot (press power button on RTV until fan shuts off) and it comes back in good working order.

I can't explain why, but it works consistently for me ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
what is the trick? I went back and forth between Cable, RF2, line 1 and line 2 for 10 minutes. It never locked up. Does it make a difference that the cable box is the only video source hooked up?

Vince

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've never made even 2 complete cycles through the input choices before the RTV locks up. And this situation is the only time I've used 888-Zones or otherwise tried to change inputs directly.

Like I said, voodoo magic...:confused:

I've got a Motorola 2224 cable box on Input-1 (or occasionally coax) and a Hughes DTV box on Input-2/Svideo. Once I get through the soft reboot after the lockup, the 5040 is good until the next power loss. I'll be really glad when hurricane / tropical storm season is over.

Addendum:

I don't have any of this kind of problem with my other 5040. It only has a Motorola 2224 on Input-1, but I don't think that makes a difference. YMMV.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got the same problem on my new 5040.. I did notice something though.. If I select the channel through the channel guide 9 times out of 10, I've got no problem. If I manually enter the channel then it does the 5 second blue screen no signal stuff.. Now, If I've previously selected the channel through the channel guide and then manually go back to that channel it seems to work.

Wierd.

I've got the cable running directly into the Unit from the wall.. Any ideas?

Is this a software issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scmguru
... If I've previously selected the channel through the channel guide and then manually go back to that channel it seems to work.
My new 5060's had similar issues. Analog Comcast cable ch 2 thru 5X came in fine as I began at ch2 and hit channel-up repeatedly. But upper channels had No Signal. Eventually the channel-up select wrapped around back to ch2, and I hit channel-down to wrap back to the highest channel... and it came in! In fact they all tuned in fine! Ever since that, all channels have tuned in ok on both 5060s.

Seems like it wanted to learn the settings to send to it's internal rf tuner. Strange. Maybe the recent internal rf tuner issues have to do with incorrectly determined tuner settings.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I concur.. once the unit has "learned" the channel.. it seems like it will always tune it in properly.. until a power loss or some other event.

mc

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Ths is a known issue... I've seen on several boxes with cable/RF input. Some channels took me 20 times to get it to 'take'. It does seem to stick, as you say. Since most of the tuner control is via software, this is modifiable in future releases.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Line 2?! Now that's a new one... never had a problem except with the internal tuner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.