AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I saw some discussion of this a few months ago but my search attempts have turned up nothing.

Recently connected up my second Replay, a 5060 in the den. Everything works fine except when I tune to channel 6 I get just a blue screen saying no signal. The channel works fine on the TV, just not the Replay. Was there ever a resolution to problem?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had this problem. I remember being pretty upset about it at the time... How long as it been doing this? I ask because my Channel 6 problem went away after about 4 days of running. I have no idea what it was caused by, but I know I didn't do anything specifically to fix it. I just started using the unit and it went away. Pretty weird, actually.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you try running signals through a VCR first?

maybe it's the strength of the signal?

If it's coming from a Cable Box that has RF & RCA, can you try the other output and notice it working?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 5060 is only 2 weeks old, and has been running that long. There is no cable box as I just have basic and extended cable channels. I can try a different connection this afternoon when I get home and see if that makes any difference.

Right now I have my cable line coming into the den and it goes into a two way splitter. One feed for the Internet cable modem and one feed to my TV. This was setup by the cable company when my Roadrunner connection was installed a couple years ago. To get cable TV in the den, the cable company had to make a long coax run from the opposite side of the house with the cable following along under the eaves. It may be close to 200 feet.

I have a 20" Sony TV, a GoVideo VCR/DVD deck and now the 5060. I added a three way splitter to the TV's coax cable and feed the 1st line to the TV, the 2nd to the 5060, and the 3rd to the GoVideo deck. Channel 6 plays on the TV fine, it plays thru the GoVideo tuner fine, just not the the Replay's tuner.

The Sony is an older set and only has one video input on the back so I purchased a Radio Shack video switch. The RCA outputs from both the Replay and the GoVideo feed into the video switch and the switch then feeds into the video input on the back of the Sony.

Maybe it is a signal strength problem. Is there a particularly good signal booster I should look into? Or are they more or less the same? Where should it be placed for best effect?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, signal stregnth could be an issue. Although I would have to conclude that if it were a signal problem it would be apparent on all channels. And also that it would not be on Chan 6, a channel that numerous people have had problems with.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... I have heard that maybe it is due to FM interference and that the FM frequency is closest to channel 6. Suggested fix is to use an FM trap from Radio Shack.

I may stop by RS on the way home and pick up both a booster and FM Trap and see if they help.

·
Registered
669 Posts
its not signal strength, i have cable running directly into the rtv and i get a great signal on 6, however intermittenly when i try to tune to channel 6 i get the blue screen, its pretty weird

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wonder why in many cases it just goes away. I have personally talked to two other ReplayTV users who had the exact same thing happen, only to stop after a few days.

Truly a weird bug.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There were a couple threads where this was discussed a while ago if you search you can get all the details. My contribution (in brief) was benifited by the fact that I sent a machine (with no tuning problem - reboot cycle) in for RMA and got 2 back. 1 of these had trouble tuning channels mostly above 30's and the other machine had this Channel 6 bluescreen problem. All sorts of suggestions were discussed by the many in the thread and I tried a number of them on both machines (RF trap, Ch3 or 4 for RF out, signal amp, and cables). One thing I learned is that the machines "learn" how to tune a channel so once it does successfully tune it in then it tunes in about as quickly as the other channels that you don't have problems with. The channel 6 thing for instance would not tune even after hours of leaving it on that channel. I tried all those things above and then the FM trap worked like a charm. I could then remove the trap and 6 still worked. The other machine (which is the one I kept) works best with certain cables (not necessarily the best) and tunes all channels if I leave it there for as much as a few minutes. Then they all tune normally. This unfortunately only lasts until the weekly reboot. At this point I believe it's mostly a software issue that hopefully will be resolved with the ever soon to arrive new software.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by antibody128
The channel 6 thing for instance would not tune even after hours of leaving it on that channel. I tried all those things above and then the FM trap worked like a charm. I could then remove the trap and 6 still worked.
That makes sense. Consider this scenario: the tuner initially seeks a frequency at or near the nominal ch 6 assigned freq. to lock on to. However there is a strong signal, not ch 6 but maybe a sideband from an FM station, that the tuner latches on to. There's no video being transmitted on it so a blue screen is the result. By using the FM trap the signal is attenuated or eliminated so the tuner is able to lock-in to the correct ch 6 signal. Once that is done, removing the trap and restoring the phantom signal doesn't override the already locked-in ch 6 tuning.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
antibody128 & BaysideBas:

Thanks for your suggestions and explainations of the problem. On the way home I stopped at Radio Shack and picked up a FM Trap and a Bidirectional Attenuator. First I tried the FM trap. Made no difference, channel 6 was still just a blue no signal screen.

Removed the FM trap and tried the attenuator. I dialed it up to full attenuation of 20dB and turned on the replay then tuned to channel 6. I now had a picture, it was grainy w/static but a picture none-the-less. After a minute or so I started reducing the attenuation down to 0dB. The picture got clearer the closer I got to zero. Left it at zero for a while and the picture remained. Channel 6 still came in even if I switched up or down the channels. Removed the attenuator and tested it again and it is still working.

Thanks for the help and ideas!

Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.