AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Samsung 351 last night to tune OTA signals.

Situation:

I have a good Radio Shack roof antenna that has been serving me well for few years. It's a multi-element antenna with separate VHF/UHF elements. It's fed via 75-ohm coax, not 300ohm flat leads. I checked the alignment and it is pointed to the stations I wish to receive 15 miles away. I get them clearly on my MITS 48413 antA input. I also get stations in Baltimore about 30 miles away.

I plugged the same antenna in to the Sammy and got 'NoSignal'. It could not tune any stations during channel setup.

I'm taking it back, but am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my 351 for about a week now. I'm in the Sacramento, CA area and should be able to get reception without any problems (no hills, no tall buildings, towers only 20 miles away, etc). Originally, I was using an amplified Radio Shack VHF/UHF/FM indoor antenna and had intermittent dropouts on most of the stations. So I installed a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna in my attic with a 75 Ohm cable (total cable lenght from antenna to OTA receiver ~70 feet) last night and the reception is not much better. I tend to have frequent audio dropouts or audio/video sync problems on the optical audio output. I even find that I get OK reception on some stations while sitting down (ABC specifically) but as soon as I stand up or walk around, I lose reception almost imediately. Very disappointing! Additionally, changing channels isn't very quick to respond and the guide takes FOREVER to load.

I was beginning to think I need to get the antenna outside, and probably should, but decided to look at forums first to determine if others were having problems with the 351. I'm going to play with it a little more (relocate the 351 away from other components, connect the receiver directly to the antenna cable vs. running it through my distribution box, etc.), but I'm leaning towards the "return it" side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The stations you are receiving when you plug the antenna directly into the

Mitsubishi are analog stations, not digital, so it only says that the antenna is probably working OK.

1. Be sure that the STD is set to "Antenna or AIR", not cable. I believe that cable is the factory default.

2. Then do a complete scan for digital stations which will be on different channels than the analog stations.

3. It is of course possible that the STB is defective.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that the MITS is receiving analog stations. I mentioned that as a datapoint to indicate that there was indeed a 'signal' available.

The Channel Search menu had 4 choices for channel types, AIR and 3 Cable types. I always used AIR, though in desperation I also tried some of the Cable types not expecting anything.

I still got the 'No Signal' indication for all the stations it scanned.

I took it back to CC and exchanged for a Motorola unit. I'll see what happens tonight.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just returned the Samsung 351 last night. Bought a Motorola HDT100 and couldn't be happier. It is not as "pretty" as the Samsung but, fuctionally far superior!

Just consider the 480i, 480P, 720I and 1080i switch on the back of the Samsung, what a joke!

Martin

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the same.

The Motorola has no problems tuning in all the HD stations in my area (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB, PBS).

All have 100% on signal quality, 60% or more on signal strength according to the meter.

Must have been the Samsung.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had the same problem also when I installed mine. What I did to get it to work was I had the tuner search the channels. I got all locals except for 1 channel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.