AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this issue has been raised many times but after reading this article today (found via missingremote)
http://www.cepro.com/article/why_2_s...ferent_results

I thought this might be something new to try. I run onboard ATI video via a Gigabyte board (HD4200). I have always had issues where after waking from sleep there is no sound and have to reboot. I have rolled back to the 10.x drivers and tried previous HDMI drivers with no luck. I just live with this and reboot the HTPC every day.

Has anyone noticed EDID issues disappearing after changing HDMI cables?

If so...any recommendations on good quality, reasonably priced, HDMI cables?

thanks,

chuga

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've bought very inexpenxive HDMI cables from a number of different places (Monoprice, eBay, Amazon, Meritline) and have never had a problem with any of them and I have lengths from 3' up to 45'.

I use nothing but ATI (4200 on 2 boards) but have discrete cards now and have never had a problem coming out of sleep and 2 of mine are HDCPs that always go to sleep when not in use. However, I'm still using XP, so if you are using Win7 that may be your problem source and not ATI or the cables. Also, if you are using a receiver for audio you might try using optical/coax for audio instead of HDMI.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using windows 7 (not XP) and onboard graphics instead of a discrete card. I have thought about picking up a discrete card for other reasons...background pics in mediabrowser are a bit laggy and thought it might help with that.

I do not use a receiver, direct HTPC to Samsung LCD TV connection via ~6' HDMI cable.

thanks for the replies..

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wasn't clear on the 4200. I did use the onboards for a while with no problem. I added discrete mainly to get a little processing help with the software I use.

If you want to add a card and aren't a gamer, you can get great deals on 5450s right now at Microcenter or NewEgg, especially with rebates. I'm using 2 of them and getting excellent picture and have no driver issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that I have uninstalled all Realtek drivers and just have ATI installed.

I typically try new ATI drivers when they come out (11.x , etc) to see if the issue is fixed. To date, it is not fixed and I roll back to some earlier 10x drivers which at least I do not have other issues with.

does it matter which order I turn on the TV/HTPC?...should TV be on before waking up the HTPC ?

thanks

chuga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts