AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, i forgot just how good HDTV looked on my projector after tweaking a HTPC and having my DTC 100 set aside. Now i have an extron vga switcher to handle my switching tasks from HTPC and DTC 100. Nothing beats true 1080i! (for my system anyways, xga projector)

My problem is when viewing direct tv or OTA broadcasts in the family room on my rca 32 inch set via the coaxial tv out of my DTC 100 i get a decent picture but absolutely nothing for sound?

Can anyone help me resolve this, lets just say my basement is finished and the rg 59 coaxial cables are unaccessible being in the walls. I didn't have a problem until recently. Is it the DTC 100, a cable or other problem. Thanks

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2

Toshiba DVD

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did not check the left and right outputs but the SPDIF out passes out stereo/prologic/dd.

Ok, the tv out now works with satellite but i dont know about OTA, how i don't know. But i believe one of my coax cables are bad. How is it that the cable is fine one minute (i tested it), then i cut it in half, crimped on 2 f connectors to hook up to a grounding block in order to ground the antenna being that it is mounted on my roof and now no signal. I just dont get it.

A year ago i had my old satellite receiver hooked up, everything worked fine until one day out of the blue my rg6 cable developped a short in it, i tried putting on new f connectors but no picture and my signal meter registered a big 0. I had to scrap the cable and replace it with a new rg6 cable.

Now the same thing, everything is fine, like i said i cut the cable in half, put new ends on it for grounding purposes and no signal! I took out my smaller tv, and tested the cable coming down from the roof which was fine, the cable going into the house and through all the walls is the one that is bad suddenly. My basement is finished and it would be a real pain once again to have to install another cable run. Don't know what i'm going to do.

Why me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

HSU VTF 2

Toshiba DVD

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i certainly wish it were that simple. I narrowed it down and it has to be the darn cable!

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

HSU VTF 2

Toshiba DVD

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

RCA DTC 100

s>

·
Registered
998 Posts
Loss of service through a coaxial cable is almost always due to a short circuit of a single strand of the shielding material to the center core. Unless you drove a nail or staple through the jacket/shiled/insulator and touched the center core, the fault should lay at a termination point. Check all the f connectors with a bright light and magnifying glass to see the little wire that's shorting it out.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terry,

i have reterminated the ends 2-3 times with good gold plated connectors from RS, for the second time in a year and a half i'm speechless. This shouldn't happen and i'm assuming i am not the only one who has had this problem.

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

RCA DTC 100

s>

·
Registered
262 Posts
check your cable with an ohm meter.

1. with nothing connected on ether end, check for a short by testing between the shield and center conductor. if you have a short, you read something other than 0 ohms.

2. with one end of the cable shorted with a ball of tin foil, check for open by testing between the shield and center. if you have an open, you will read 0 ohms.

now, the dtc100 has optical (toslink) digital output, not coaxial. so, im thinking that you must be using the analog outputs right? if that is the case, then you should have TWO audio outputs (L&R), and a video output (coax or svid).

if you are using the dtc100's rf modulator out (OUT TO TV), and using your tv's tuner (chan 3 or 4), you can test your set up by using a vcr's rf output. do you still have no sound? this is prob the worst way to set it up anyway, your 32" tv is begging for svid!!!!!

finally go into the menu and make sure the the analog outputs are on.

let us know exactly how you have set this up, and im sure someone here will be able to figure it out!

good luck

oscar

HOME THEATER CREATIONS

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Oscar,

all my issues are resolved except for the rg59 coax cable that feeds the antenna (OTA broadcasts) to my DTC 100. Still no luck getting the cable to send the signal.

I'm using the push-in type of f connector, i strip the end of the cable properly with the appropriate tool (have a coax stripper and center core stripper) then i slide the sleeve on the coax cable, push the f connector on, slide the sleeve over and crimp. This should be fullproof especially after redoing it 3 times. I doubt it's one of my terminations but likely a short in the cable elsewhere. Arghhh!

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

RCA DTC 100

s>

·
Registered
262 Posts
great! now test you OTA cable for shorts and open and let us know. i dont know how far you are from the stations, but for a quick test we have used just plain speaker wire from the OTA input taped to the wall and it worked great (25 miles out)

good luck

oscar

HOME THEATER CREATIONS

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oscar is right.

The only way to ensure that your cable is bad is through the use of an ohm meter or DMM. This will tell you once and for all if your cable is either open or shorted. And keep in mind that the short may be in the connector or crimp and not in the cable itself.

If you're using a DMM though, a dead short will be displayed as zero ohms while an open circuit will display a very high resistance, something like infinite ohms. You may still have a short if the display shows a very low resistance of 10-100ohms or thereabouts. With both ends of the cable disconnected from the equipment, the correct result would be an open circuit between the sheild and conductor.

One more suggestion:

Since you've got a crimper handy, and by now have a lot of experience crimping these connectors, I'd recommend cutting off the ends once again and measuring the bare cable, without connectors on either end. This would help to eliminate the slim possibility of a short in the connector or the crimp.

Good luck.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.