AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my ATI AIW 128 and I can't seem to get any sound from it.

I am still waiting on my sound card so I connected the mini plug to the mic in and the line in on the mobo, but I get no sound from either input just pops and buzzes.

When I video capture TV and play it back on zoom player there is no sound either just buzzing.

I am using Windows XP

Any ideas?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK now I have another problem:(

I decided to swap in an old soundblaster card to try to get sound

Now when I hit "TV" I don't get any stations! The top of the window says"Video In".

I made sure the input cable, but nothing

Any ideas about this problem?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scoobydoo
OK now I have another problem:(

I decided to swap in an old soundblaster card to try to get sound

Now when I hit "TV" I don't get any stations! The top of the window says"Video In".

I made sure the input cable, but nothing

Any ideas about this problem?
scoobydoo,

ATI's TV application is used for both the on-card tv tuner as well as displaying video that is input from an external source (e.g., vcr, camcorder, etc...) If the window says 'Video In', it sounds like maybe its set for 'video-in' instead of the tv-tuner. I'm not at my machine that has my AIW right now, but I think all you need to do to change this to tv is to right-click the tv application's screen - one of the settings specifies whether to use video-in or tv.

As far as your sound issue, if you haven't tried this already, then try the following:

1. connect the ATI audio line-out to your soundcard's line-in

2. Make sure the line-in isn't muted in the soundcard software

3. go to 'configure TV' (or something like it, its one of the buttons on their tv player)

4. look for and click 'TV Initialization' wizard button (or something like that)

5. When you get to the question about how you're audio is connected, choose line-in; at this point you should be able to hear the audio from tv (assuming the other problem is taken care of).

6. Save, etc ...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my HD was due for a fresh install of XP so I did that, but I have the same problem:(

I installed the new drivers and ATI Multimedia from ATI's website

The cable is hooked to the card

Here are the steps I am taking to try to get video:

1. Click on TV on the launch bar

2. When I do the box that comes up is "Video In"

3. I right click and go to setup

4. In the "video" section it only gives me the options for composite and S-Video, no cable option. Should there be one there?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I finally got the video back by installing the drivers that were on the install disc instead of the ones I got off the ATI website!

But, No sound still

Here is what I have done to try to get sound:

1. Hooked the Adapter to the card and plugged the mini plug into the "Line-In" on my motherboard

2. Went to control panel to make sure all volumes were up. I turned up the volume on "Line-In" and checked the select box under it.

3. Opened the TV box. I can see video, but hear no sound.

I can play an MPEG with the ATI file player with no problems

Thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, there should be a choice like 'TV'. The choices you currently have are only for the card's 'video-in', not the 'tuner-in'.

Way back when the original AIW Radeon came out, I had the same symptom, video-in but no tv. Back then, during installation the ATI MMC ran a check for any 3rd party video-in hardware. If it found any, then the TV app could only be used with the video-in and you couldn't use the tv tuner. I remember this as being a 'copy protection' issue (?) (really doesn't make sense me though ..). But for whatever reason, my 1394 card (firewire or dv) that I had at the time triggered this. It drove me nuts until I figured out that by first disabling the 1394 and then reinstalling AIW, the TV would then work (and then subsequently reinstalling the 1394 didn't trigger a recheck, hehe). I'm pretty sure they do not do this anymore (heck, 8500DV has 1394 built-in).

I'm going to look up some notes I made to myself at the time to see if I can think of anything else that would cause this.

-----------------------

EDIT - Oops, this reply is for the earlier post.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am somehow getting that protection issue:(

I am back to no sound or video again because I tried another reinstall because I want the sound to work!

When I install the software the first time(once with the new software and once with the old software) and did the wizard I had to go through setting up the incoming cable channels using a channel scan and the video worked.

Now when I reinstall it(using either the old or new software) and do the wizard there is no option to check for channels. It only asks my country and my audio input, that is all. The option for cable is also not in the setup box, only composite and s-video.

It's like I can only install each software version once and then if I try to reinstall, it won't let me use the TV input! I don't see how this could be happening even after a fresh install of the OS. I even clear my CMOS last time on the mobo just in case!

Other than the video card the only card I have hooked up is my NIC so I don't know why it is doing this but it is beginning to really piss me off!

Could Windows XP have something to do with this?

I thought about switching to Windows 98SE, but really don't want to format and reinstall again.

Thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have run out of things to try:(

I tried following this:

http://www.pcphotovideo.com/ati.htm

I have the same damn problem!

Hit "TV" the wizard pops up, but it doesn't ask to scan for channels so I know it isn't working! I complete the wizard hit "TV" again and all I get is "Video In"!

This is my first experience with an ATI card and I have to say that I will never buy another one as long as I live if I don't figure this out soon. I am so glad I didn't buy the AIW 7500 and wasted $50 dollars more!

Does anyone have a toll free number for ATI? I don't have long distance and I can't use those 10-10 mumbers, they are blocked from my phone service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.