AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to play a familiar DVD tonight but could not get any sound at all, only picture. My Pioneer DV47A played all of the other DVD's I tried without problems. I've played this disk in the past and never had a problem. I tried it on a Sony player in another room and it played fine. Does anyone know what could be the problem

·
Registered
264 Posts
Try turning the unit off and disconnecting power to it for 30 seconds. Then try it again. If it worked in the past it should still work.

-Good luck :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried that, both turning the DVD player off and unplugging it. Unfortunately it hasn't helped. The disk still won't play any sound and every other DVD I try plays fine. I wondered if this was a problem others had run into but judging from the lack of responses it's not too common. I've ordered another copy of the disk and I'll see how that plays.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received another copy of the DVD. To my surprise, the new disk will not play any audio on my DV47A (and works fine on a Sony player). As before all other DVD's I try work fine on the Pioneer. I am completely baffled. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like either this title is authored in a strange way, or that the audio signal is encoded differently than most other disks. For example, it could be PCM audio and depending upon the audio setup of your DVD player, PCM signal might only be directed to your analog outputs.

What's the DVD title in question? What is the audio format listed on the box?

Brian.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for responding. The disk is "It All Starts Today", a film by Bertrand Tavernier. It is a recent DVD, region 1, with a Dolby soundtrack. I have contacted the distributer to see if they have received any other feedback concerning this title. They are not aware of any problems. The DVD player is connected to a B&K 317 receiver via a digital coaxial cable. As all other DVD's I try play fine, I don't see how the connection could be at fault. It does appear from the receiver's display that it is not receiving an audio signal from the DVD player. It's a mystery.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have any sound signal coming out of the L and R channels on the DVD Player. Maybe it is somehow only PCM. I've never heard of a DVD not having a digital sound output but I guess it's possible? No that can't be it. Oh Hell, check that anyway. I could be that the Dolby encoding is screwed up on this disc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try the analog outputs. It will have to wait until I'm back in town. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. Bear in mind that this disk once played without problems on the Pioneer.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Mongoose:

In reading the specifications for your DVD player, it is one of the models that remembers the status of your DVDs, in other words, it'll remember the settings you had for a particular title. When you reinsert the same DVD, even if its another copy, it'll find the settings you used before and use those. So if you had it set for DTS for a title that doesn't have a DTS soundtrack then you would get nothing. From your description, I'd bet that that this is what you're experiencing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the manual for my DV-47A. It does not appear that one can program any information related to soundtracks for individual DVD's, however, it was a good idea. I've connected a pair of stereo interconnects between the Pioneer and B&K 317. I am able to turn the digital output from the DVD player off and subsequently hear the two channel feed. This provides an acceptable solution for watching this disk. I still wish I knew what caused the inexplicable loss of the digital track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.