AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony STR-DG600 receiver. Center, sub and surrounds work fine, but no sound from the front speakers. I originally thought it was an issue with my PS3 or optical cable, but different cables and other sources have the same issue. The speakers are 10 years old, but appear fine. No tears and good fuses. Wire is new

I listened for humming and other sounds and nothing. I tried the test tone and nothing. It's like the receiver is not sending anything to the L/R/ speakers.

Any thoughts?

Any help is greatly apperciated!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hmmm...if test tones are not playing from L/R, you have issues. Question is whether they are user correctable.

Obviously, carefully check wiring. Make sure the left/right speakers are enabled in the receiver's setup menus.

It's simple enough to test if there's any signal at all, if you have a multi-tester that can measure AC voltage. At moderate levels, I would expect at least .5 volt peaks.

You can also use a multi-tester to test the DC resistance of a speaker. You should be able to detect shorts or open circuit conditions that way.

I don't know much about the Sony to know if there's any other obvious things to check. It's possible though, that it's unwell, and the channels are blown, or it has speaker relays, and they are not functioning.

I am not a technician, and there are some regulars here who are (or close enough,) so don't take my word as the only possibilities

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just a thought, does the receiver have a front A/B selector that is improperly connected? Or is there a short between the speakers and the receiver chassis? Either would likely cause the output to be cut-off for those channels.

I'd test the speakers either as MichaelJHuman suggested, or by hooking them up to either a known working receiver, or to one of the channels on your receiver that does work (alternately, hook up the speakers you know to work to the channels that you're having issues with).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.