AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded from standard cable to digital cable, and now there is no sound coming from replay. Here is the setup.

From Digital Cable (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250) coax out

To Replay 5060 Coax input

Out from Replay 5060 output 1 rca ports

To rca input on receiver

The digital cable box is hooked up to the replay using the ir blaster port and the channel changing and channel guide all work, can record and playback just get no sound. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
First thing I'd check is for the volume setting on the cable box. That and the cables. Make sure you're not confusing ins and outs on the downstream devices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cables are all connected correctly, as for the cable box volume, it has no impact on the playback regardless of how loud I set it. Also played back a recorded show on another replay and it has audio at a normal level, so I believe the problem lies somewhere within the replay. Anyway to reset the ports on the replay? I have been through all the options and nothing seems to address this. Anymore ideas?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think I've seen this before, but can't find it. Did you try the 'hard' reboot? See this post for details.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ixlr8a67
Cables are all connected correctly, as for the cable box volume, it has no impact on the playback regardless of how loud I set it.
That's right, but it does have an effect on the recording of sound, and you never mentioned in your post whether you had no sound only on newly recorded shows or all shows, even those recorded on the old setup.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Why bother using the coax coming out of the digital cable box?

I'd suggest using either the S-Video or RCA out anyway (and using the RCA Audio out of the cable box for sound).

Trust me, the PQ will be much, much better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no sound even on shows recorded with old setup. As for the input to the replay, I will be changing back to the rca's. Here is another interesting development. I can get the replay to turn on and off the digital cable box during the setup, but when I tell it to record, the box does not come on and thus you record a blank screen. So there's another issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Here's an update.

Re-configured the setup to the following.

Cable from wall to Coax in on Digital Cable Box

RCA's out of Dig Box to Input 1 on Replay

Output 1 on Replay to Input 2 on TV

Now I have sound again, but still can't seem to get Replay to power up Dig cable box for recordings when both the replay and the dig box are initially off.

Goal was to get it so I could view tv with regular cable if replay was recording from dig box, so now back to the drawing board. Thanks fior the help, if anyone has any ideas on the dig box power up issue.

Digital Box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250. 1 coax input, 1 coax output, 1 rca out

Replay: 5060 stock

TV: 1 coax input and 2 rca inputs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
There is no sound even on shows recorded with old setup. As for the input to the replay, I will be changing back to the rca's. Here is another interesting development. I can get the replay to turn on and off the digital cable box during the setup, but when I tell it to record, the box does not come on and thus you record a blank screen. So there's another issue.
The Replay will not toggle the power to the cable box before it starts a recording. You must leave it on all the time, or at least when there is a recording scheduled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
OK Here's an update.

Re-configured the setup to the following.

Cable from wall to Coax in on Digital Cable Box

RCA's out of Dig Box to Input 1 on Replay

Output 1 on Replay to Input 2 on TV

Now I have sound again, but still can't seem to get Replay to power up Dig cable box for recordings when both the replay and the dig box are initially off.

Goal was to get it so I could view TV with regular cable if replay was recording from dig box, so now back to the drawing board. Thanks fior the help, if anyone has any ideas on the dig box power up issue.

Digital Box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250. 1 coax input, 1 coax output, 1 rca out

Replay: 5060 stock

TV: 1 coax input and 2 rca inputs
OK, do this:

Split coax, one to Replay coax in, one to cable box. Cable box line-out to replay line in. Cable box coax out to TV coax-in. Replay line-out to TV line-in.

On the Replay:

Set up channel guide for "Digital cable" on Line 1 and "Cable - no box" on RF-Input. Digital lineup will have normal numbers, analog will be +1000. Delete channels that exist on analog cable from digital lineup.

That way, the only time you will have to tune the cable box is when recording digital-only or premium content.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so I assumed when it was asking me to find it a power code for the dig box that it would have that ability, when it was just so it could change channels. Well that solves one mystery, now just have to reconfigure the rest of the media center for the new setup. Thanks to everyone for your help. Off to buy more cables and some asprin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DanV
OK, do this:

Split coax, one to Replay coax in, one to cable box. Cable box line-out to replay line in. Cable box coax out to TV coax-in. Replay line-out to TV line-in.

On the Replay:

Set up channel guide for "Digital cable" on Line 1 and "Cable - no box" on RF-Input. Digital lineup will have normal numbers, analog will be +1000. Delete channels that exist on analog cable from digital lineup.

That way, the only time you will have to tune the cable box is when recording digital-only or premium content.
Modified to this setup, and the only thing that will be a pain will be keeping tabs on when something is going to record off the digital. Othwerwise seems ok.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
OK, so I assumed when it was asking me to find it a power code for the dig box that it would have that ability, when it was just so it could change channels. Well that solves one mystery, now just have to reconfigure the rest of the media center for the new setup. Thanks to everyone for your help. Off to buy more cables and some asprin.

This really makes no sense if you take the time to think about it... the power is a toggle switch, on and pressed the box goes off, off and the box goes on. So... why would the replay want to toggle the power?

On your original problem... the only reason your previously recorded shows don't have audio is because you screwed something up. Cables out of the replay to the receiver would be a good thing to look at first. But... always start with the reset of the box.

On your "new" configuration trust us... it's a pain to remember when the box is being used, but it's really worth is as most of the time you can watch the box while the replay records something else over the analog RF input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have just finished resetting all of my recordings to now record from the analog version of the channels. I was unable to get the analog input to dictate the channels before the digital channels. So overall this is the compromise I will have to live with. Time for a cold one and then tacking the absorbtion of the new remote into the learning remote. Thanks to everyone for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.