AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Denon 1403 receiver and finally got it all hooked up, was waiting on the arival of the rear speakers. And now I have found that there is nothing coming from either speaker. Is the amp dead? I have tried test tones, 5 channel stereo, adjusting the gain on each and still silence. Is there a setup option I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Svence

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't own the 1403 but there should be something in the setup that asks if you are using surrounds.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Assuming that the manual on the Denon site is current, check out page 17.

Go to system setup, then speaker configuration setup, then select the sizes for your speakers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set the surrounds to small. But never said they were actually there. That should be enough I thought. I can't find anything for turning them on. Thanks.

Anything else I could be missing?

-Svence

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have tried Small, Large, and even None for the hell of it, and still nothing. Could just the Surround amps be bad, are they even indivual amps or what? Also I tried the B set of speaker outs and those work fine.

-Svence

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
What happens if you swap your Front speaker connections with your Surround speaker connections? Let's make sure your surround speakers are, indeed working. And with this wiring configuration, are the Fronts now "dead" when you use your test tones? If so, and if you've checked that the surround channels are active, then you may very well have a defective receiver. Can you take it back to your dealer and have them check it for you?

Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't try the fronts in the rear, but the center which is working (it was easier to rewire) and it won't go at all either. Not even a hiss. It is like they are just dead connections. The way I always thought about receivers is that each channel, say in a 5.1 setup would be its own amp so five amps in this case. If so how could two of them just be dead? Is my logic completely wrong. About the return, I bought it online from an authorized dealer with an autherized warranty. So I am going to call my local dealer and see what they maybe can do. Thanks alot.

-Svence

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
CS, make sure you don't have the receiver set to a 3-channel mode.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry,

I don't see any 3 channel mode. Just 5 channel stereo, prologic II, stereo, virtual....

-Svence

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't know how much you've customized the settings on this receiver, but I do see an option in the manual that makes it go back it it's default factory settings. You may want to try that since, the factory settings says it sets the surrounds for "small".

Also you did say that when using the test tones, you didn't hear anything from the surrounds, correct?

I also came across this on page 34 on the manual...

"Only the STEREO mode can be used when playing PCM signals with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz (such as from DVD-Video discs that contain 24 bit, 96 kHz audio). If such signals are input during playback in one of the other surround modes, the mode automatically swithces to STEREO."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.