AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought the Onkyo TX-NR616 and have it set up with a very basic system. It is composed of a brand new ARC capable Hisense 55" 55K610GW TV and the NR616 to a 5.1 Energy Take Classic set. The connections are: a coax cable from the wall to the TV (I don't have a cable box but get all hd channels from the 'locals only' package needed in order to have cable internet) then a 1.4 HDMI 40 foot cable coming from the Main HDMI OUT of the 616 to the ARC HDMI slot in the TV. I have no other components or connections because the TV is a smart tv with all the video content I need.

I therefore have the CEC turned on, on the Hisense TV, and the 616 is set to receive the ARC signal and I have the TV/CD source pressed as well which is how you tell the 616 to expec an ARC signal. Everything works just as it should and the 616's ARC indicator is lit meaning it is receiving audio throuh the ARC. The CEC functions properly and controls the 616 but there is simply no sound. The 616 is verifying that it is recieving the ARC channel but just won't pass it through to the speakers.

I must be missing something simple here. The firmware is updated as it should also. I do not want to run a digital audio connection from the tv to the 616 as that defeats the purpose of these technologies. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions oe experiences? Thus far I verified with Hisense customer service that there isn't anything special to do to turn ARC on and the HIsense 'recognizes' it is connected to the 616 when you use the discovery feature on the tv..

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I probably should have put this in the 'Official' thread but I'll follow up anyway because this was so frustrating. As unbelievable as it sounds, performing a soft reset of the receiver was the difference maker here. Unlplugging the AVR from the wall for 5 minutes prompted the tv to not just recognize and control it via CED as it did before but actually put a check mark next to the receiver name. From then the ARC worked as it should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I probably should have put this in the 'Official' thread but I'll follow up anyway because this was so frustrating. As unbelievable as it sounds, performing a soft reset of the receiver was the difference maker here. Unlplugging the AVR from the wall for 5 minutes prompted the tv to not just recognize and control it via CED as it did before but actually put a check mark next to the receiver name. From then the ARC worked as it should.
I was having the same issue with an Onkyo TX-SR608 with ARC not working coming from a Hisense HE65K5510UWTS. I really didn't think your solution would work (sounded way too simple) but all I had to do was switch the amp off for a couple of minutes (I also switched the tv off) then when I turned everything back on it worked fine. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad it worked out for you. I still have the 616 and it is definitely more quirky than my Yamaha Aventage in my ht room. The 616 needs periodic reboots when it stops connecting to the Internet even after the warranty hdmi and Internet loss of connection warranty work was performed. Maybe every 3 months or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts