AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching a random clip on youtube on Tuesday and sound and video was working fine. Come back on Wednesday and I can still see the video but no sound? Mythtv still working with no sound problems, VLC works to play a DVD with no sound problems. Just seems to be flash.

I am using Mythbuntu 9.10 and Adobe Flash 10 with Firefox.

I tried doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of Adobe Flash but still no love.

Tried uninstalling Adobe Flash and installing gnash, but video didn't play at all :-(

Reinstalled Adobe flash and tried checking alsamixer and everything was as it should be (un-muted and full volume)

I muted and then un-muted all channels in alsamixer and still no sound.

Feels like I am missing something simple, any suggestions on what to try?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know if it's related, but I have also recently been having problems with Flash in Firefox. All of a sudden, many Flash videos just won't play for me at all, just a blank white screen comes up. When I go to the same sites with Chrome, the Flash videos load just fine.

Have you tried another browser?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it took me so long to respond I tried a bunch of the suggestions from the link Mythmaster gave, but no success yet. Next I will install another browser and see if it is a firefox issue or flash issue (per Jsquid's recomendation)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got around to working on this some more and have a couple more leads.

Installed Chrome and Flash has the same problem as Firefox (Shows video but no sound)

More importantly I plugged in some headphones into the front headphone jack and the line out in the back and DID have sound when playing flash through the analog connections!

So now I need to figure out how to set flash to output to the spdif rather then (or in addition to) the analog......

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after much research I tried the alsa-base.conf and asound.conf approach similar to here.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Asus_P5N7A-VM

But then I ended up with no sound at all! (including MythTV). I then undid my changes and got MythTV working again.

I was going to do the ugly hack and just run a cable from the analog out to my receiver but the analog has a constant ear-piercing high pitch noise for some reason. (I noticed it before but thought it was just the crappy headphones I had plugged into the jack) so that is out.

I could try more hacks but I don't want to mess up MythTV (which I use all the time) to try and get Flash sound working (which I basically never use).

It just bothers me that it should work, and probably could work -- given enough time, but it doesn't out of the box.

At this point I think I am going to just ignore it. Maybe Mythbuntu 10.04 will solve the problem out of the box? Here's to hoping

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive /forum/post/18377703

potentially a year out of date, but this is what I had to do once upon a time:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=176

have you tried setting

FLASH_AUDIODEBUG and FLASH_FORCE_ALSA

(and then re-launch Firefox)

Thanks for the info.

I had not set these variables as I was completely unclear on how to do such things. Did another search and looks like you say how in this post

http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthrea...3#post16221733

Your tempting me to try and break my sound again!... Shame on you

·
Registered
501 Posts
When I used the "usual" approach of putting this into the .asoundrc (or /etc/asound.conf):

pcm.!default {

type hw

card 0

device 3

}

It wouldn't work for Flash. Instead, my .asoundrc file contains only:

defaults.pcm.device 3

and that works perfectly for me. YMMV.

-- Kevin

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The curious thing here (IMO) is that northbear appears to have Flash sound _sometimes_.. but not others. For me I think it was an all-or-nothing situation, and makes me think here that something is/not initializing that sound path for northbear depending on what was being done before Flash video was played... maybe.. I dunno.

Setting the ENV vars _should_ not have any impact on non Flash audio... and you can always go back and remove each with

unsetenv XYZ

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive /forum/post/18381601

The curious thing here (IMO) is that northbear appears to have Flash sound _sometimes_.. but not others. For me I think it was an all-or-nothing situation, and makes me think here that something is/not initializing that sound path for northbear depending on what was being done before Flash video was played... maybe.. I dunno.

I should clarify my situation. I KNOW I watched a streaming video with sound at one point and am 99% sure it was a youtube video. But now flash NEVER works with sound. I don't remember changing anything or doing any updates etc between those times but I can't guarantee it as I was not working on debugging anything at that time and so was not paying as much attention

I will give your .asoundrc suggestion a shot this weekend. I can undo that easily enough

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbear /forum/post/18381769

I should clarify my situation. I KNOW I watched a streaming video with sound at one point and am 99% sure it was a youtube video. But now flash NEVER works with sound. I don't remember changing anything or doing any updates etc between those times but I can't guarantee it as I was not working on debugging anything at that time and so was not paying as much attention

I will give your .asoundrc suggestion a shot this weekend. I can undo that easily enough

Ok, you are closer to where I was then.. I had all? sound working except Flash... and I'm not sure if it was the ENV vars (those should be EASY to test.. quit FF, set them, launch FF from that same Terminal window.. and watch for any log message that get printed out), or whether it was the .asoundrc changes that I made... I think I did both at once.. and once it worked, I had no motivation to back out the changes to see which one did the trick.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright.....

Tested quite a few things...

Found that for me that
Code:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}
and
Code:
Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3
in both /etc/asound.conf and .asoundrc

seem to do the exact same thing.

The results of my aplay -l are:
Code:
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
so I should want to have device 1 (which is confirmed by http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Asus_P5N7A-VM )

But it whenever I did this I couldn't get any sound out of the spdif with any program.

I also tried device 0, 2, and 3. Two and three had the same results but device 0 seemed to have no effect. Mythtv still worked but no flash sound.

I also tried the FLASH_AUDIODEBUG and FLASH_FORCE_ALSA per zim2dive with no .asoundrc, .asoundrc set to device 0, 1, 2, and 3 each in turn. Rebooting with the new .asoundrc file and setting the two variables again.

No change in what worked and what didn't work. Myth only worked with no .asoundrc or set to device 0 and flash sound never worked.

... was really hoping some combination would work. Oh well...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to prove my own sanity to myself I ran Mythbuntu 9.10 from the live cd, installed flash, unmuted the spdif (IEC958) and lo and behold, sound from flash!!!

So at one point it DID work on my system (out of the box even!), and something I did or some update caused it not to work.

one more piece to this puzzle....

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
prolly a stupid update that broke something -- that's what happened to me then I loaded up extrasound and alsa-oss and it worked again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster /forum/post/18402255

prolly a stupid update that broke something -- that's what happened to me then I loaded up extrasound and alsa-oss and it worked again.

I hadn't tried it before as it seemed silly to tell it to route sound from to oss and back to alsa when also should work directly. But I tried it tonight anyways and still no joy....

Maybe the computer will heal itself if/when I upgrade to mythbuntu 10

·
Banned
2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbear /forum/post/18414453

I hadn't tried it before as it seemed silly to tell it to route sound from to oss and back to alsa when also should work directly. But I tried it tonight anyways and still no joy....

Maybe the computer will heal itself if/when I upgrade to mythbuntu 10

Sorry, man. I don't know what to tell you. The audio drivers are funny -- maybe you can spend a couple of bucks on a card that is known to work properly.

I wish that I could be of more help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster /forum/post/18414623

Sorry, man. I don't know what to tell you. The audio drivers are funny -- maybe you can spend a couple of bucks on a card that is known to work properly.

I wish that I could be of more help.

No problems at all. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions! I do appreciate the help even if I could not get it working.

I would be a lot more annoyed if MythTV sound had problems but Myth works great! The thought crossed my mind on starting over (reinstalling) as mythbuntu flash sound works out of the box, but I **shudder** to think about trying to remember every small tweak I have done to get things running fairly smoothly.

I will try and respond back to this post if I ever do get it working, or if an update fixes it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts