AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday i picked up the new to me Toshiba 52HM95 I won off ebay. The kid I bought it found sounded hard up for money (just a couple of days before his new plasma died on him - but if he was that hard up how could he have a $2k plasma??? anyway...) so I paid him in cash in order to save him the $20 on paypal fees it would have cost.

He showed me the tv worked fine, but was running the audio through his stereo system, which I didn't really pay attention to.

When I got it home, I let it sit for a couple of hours to warm up and turned it on, no sound.

I tried the next day, no sound. I went through all the different setting in the options (have not tried service menu or the diagnostic mode yet). But I have used both the coax in from my antenna and RCA in from my playstation 2 and no sound. When I turn the volume to max i'm getting some static like the speakers are working.

I called the kid up and he said tough luck. Since I didn't pay him via paypal I have no recourse so i'm stuck with it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated guys/gals.

----

Cliff notes - bought a Toshiba 52hm95, video works, no sound. Help! Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Press menu on your remote. Go to audio. Go to audio setup. Press enter. Then check to see if your speakers are turned on or off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboShane /forum/post/13008914

Press menu on your remote. Go to audio. Go to audio setup. Press enter. Then check to see if your speakers are turned on or off.

Thanks for the suggestion, but yup, they're on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem with a Sony HD that my grandfather bought off of Ebay....I pulled the speaker covers off and then I unscrewed the speakers and go figure...the damn wires were disconnected.

I've always wondered if the guy who owned it knew he could just go to the audio settings menu and simply turn the speakers off. ?!?!?

Ya I know...the idiocy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ha ha ha. that's great.

the kid i bought it from said his brother turned the speakers off, i assume he meant through the audio setup, and since i can hear static in the speakers when i have the volume all the way up they must be connected

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya Jeep if you hear some static then they're def connected....have you tried using other Inputs for your audio cables?

Try using all of the audio "IN" inputs on the back panel before you give up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHV /forum/post/13009018

Ya Jeep if you hear some static then they're def connected....have you tried using other Inputs for your audio cables?

Try using all of the audio "IN" inputs on the back panel before you give up.

i'll give that a shot, but i did try 2 different sets of RCA and my coax

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i've played with it quite a bit, even hooked in my computer speakers from the rca outputs on the back of the tv. nothing.

there's also a loud humming coming from the back, almost like fan. it's loud enough to be a distraction. could that be connected to the lack of audio?

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts