AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 37" Panasonic (5UY) and I have a pair of small external speakers attached to the set. When I switch the display to component (with a component signal), there's no sound from the speakers. I know there is sound going to the set because if I switch over to Video, there's sound, but no picture (because only component is being sent at the time). Is this normal?

Its been a while since I sent an HD signal to the set and I know I had sound when I did it before, but I can't remember if I was using the set for sound or if I was using the other speakers in the room then.

Barb

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
You don't say if you have the audio cables hooked-up. There should be one set of audio to S-video, one set to Component, and one for PC. What do you have?

Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have the audio hooked up. And I know the audio is working for the component source because if, while watching component (with no sound), I switch the display to Video (with no picture since the real source right now is component), I hear sound.

Barb

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Barb-

Hmm, the 37" has two separate sets of audio inputs:

Obvious things to check:

The far left input jacks (RCA L & R) are for composite/S-video and the jacks that are centered on the board (RCA L & R) are for component. Is that were you are plugged into?

Press the 'Sound' button - try either 'Auto' or 'Standard' - any difference?

Also try Surround 'On' or 'Off'

How about 'Mute' button?

OK, that was the easy stuff....One more possiblity, and I can only imagine that this would have happened if you were in the hidden menu making alterations.

The hidden menu (on the 3uy and 4uy, at least) has a setting for "Maximum Volume" which defaults to "Off". If turned to "On" then you select a maximum allowed value. Check to see that this is set to 'Off'.

Chances are the above 'hidden' switch would affect all inputs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am quite possitive that you hooked up the wrong audio in. When you switched display to "video" you got audio but no video because that is where you connected your audio to. Vice versa, when you switched to "component" you got just the picture.

Sorry, you said you had audio hooked up. Forget it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.