AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking forward to seeing the NASA special on HDNet tonight.

Some of the video was quite spectacular, but the sound kept cutting out.

As soon as the NYSE 200 anniversary docu came on, the sound was back.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with the sound. :( I called a friend to see if it was just me, but his sound was intermittent also. The pictures from the shuttle looking back at Earth were absolutely stunning. I hope we get to see more NASA HD video in the future! :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just got my oval dish installed today and was looking forward to the NASA special also. The sound was intolerable. Is that why they switched to the NYSE special, or was the NASA program supposed to be less than 1/2 hour?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Same here. The error light kept flashing on my receiver, and I could hear static cutting in and out on the rear surrounds. I wonder whether this was a problem with the source, transmission from HDnet to DTV, or with the DTV sound guys (who have already proven that they are incapable of fixing a DD 5.1 problem).

In any case, I agree that some of the pictures were great, but it would have been 100 times better with sound. Here's hoping for a re-broadcast, and more footage in the future!

My guess is that the program was less than 30 minutes long, but it's just a guess.

dinesh

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I experienced the same sound problems only during the NASA show. It looked great (the HD stuff, that is) -- here's hoping they can fix whatever the problem was before the next showing. And here's hoping they show it in the evening again. I really enjoyed the pictures and what little audio I could make out.

FWIW, I think it was only supposed to be 15 minutes long -- it seemed to have a logical start (here are the astronauts), middle (here they are taking off and in space) and end (here they are landing and smiling as they leave the shuttle). Didn't seem to me like they switched to the NYSE piece in the middle of a thought.

-David

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
(yup, same problem with sound, I just muted it most of the time)

The HD was spectacular. Shame there was so much SD in the program, though. I would have much rathered it all be in HD and lost some of the "documentary" feel. I mean, c'mon, they must have shot more than five minutes of HD up there; I wanna see it!

That water drop looked like a special effect. Incredible.

Alex

·
Registered
6 Posts
I missed the show last night.

I stayed home this morning to see the rebroadcast.

Sound and PQ were great this morning.

The water blob was stunning.

So too were earth views.

I was hoping for some more starfield views.

Anyway, great content.

Thanks to HDnet. They're making the other channels look bad.

Shane

·
Registered
572 Posts
Same audio problems here. Sony TA-E9000ES clicked a lot and just couldn't lock on to the audio much of the time, so I put on some music.

Over the years I have collected a lot of space video, mostly LD based. The H2O blob was amazing as was the depth perception of the various layers of clouds.

www.dreamtime.com and NASA are supposed to produce lots of this kind of material with HD cameras currently aboard the Int'l Space Station, most Shuttle trips and all of the major NASA ground facilities. I am emailing them asking when we can expect more eye candy.

Curtis

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
At first I thought it was my amp, so I switched to "analog input only", but the audio breakups continued. Obviously, this particular program has audio problems. It's not that long, so hopefully they'll sort it out. I was hoping for more "starfield" HD shots, also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.