AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just fixed a Sceptre X37. I had no idea what was wrong with it other than it didn't power on. So I found the problem to be the PSU shorted on the chassis through the thin peice of plastic. So I re-soldered the transformers that shorted (it stopped working because the solder melted off). Then on the board where the inputs are, 2 resistors started to smoke up (after having the TV on for a few minutes). So I replaced those. Now the TV is working fine, and I have my Xbox and Dreamcast hooked up to it. Problem is I have no sound. I don't know what on here produces the sound or if there is something I can replace. Help please?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Just use an external sound system. A $50 Set of computer speakers will work great, you might even have an old set of computer speakers you aren't using anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the thing, the speaker out and the jack out have no sound. I tried hooking up some computer speakers, but nothing. Do these TV's have a sound card? Is there a surround system that has a cable input or am I going to have to get a damn VCR for the RCA outs? This is my first LCD and I've been doing it on my own, so this would be great to have up and running.

Also, what is the audio amplifier? Someone mentoned this to me. Said it was a chip with a heatsink on it. Is this true? I seen that on there. It was the only one that had a heat sink. Is this the audio amplifier? Could that be busted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have cable. I use OTA/ Broadcast, digital signal from an antenna. I found this:
http://www.ambery.com/suvitosxcosw.html

and this:
http://www.ambery.com/provitoxgaco.html

I figure I might not get the sound to work on the TV (and the reviews I read said the speakers suck anyway), so looking at getting an RF demodulator to just hook the video to TV and audio to surround. I know I could probably just get a VCR (ancient), but I don't think a VCR supports Digital signals (and maybe this demodulator doesn't either, but I'll email the company).

Although I'd like to get the sound working on the TV so I don't have to spend money (I got the TV for free and it cost only what I had lying around the garage to fix) on getting the demodulator and a surround system.

By the way, do they have a surround system that has an RF input/output anyway? That would be awesome. and so much easier (doubt it though, that would be TOO EASY!). Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180sx-x /forum/post/18177697

I don't have cable. I use OTA/ Broadcast, digital signal from an antenna. I found this:
http://www.ambery.com/suvitosxcosw.html

and this:
http://www.ambery.com/provitoxgaco.html

The first one just has a cable tuner. You state you only have OTA. The second only has a NTSC tuner which would allow you only analog SD signals. You'd want something with ATSC for digital and HD signals. If you're looking to go that route, why not buy an HD TV card for your PC and use the PC as the center of a HTPC setup?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
You could use a ATSC tuner box. A CECB would work or find a used HDTV tuner online. The PC option is the way I do it, but HTPC's are a whole new animal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not the tuner box. Mine works fine. It's that I have no sound. So I need a box that will turn an RF connector into composite RCA outs so I can hook it to a Surround sound receiver. I was looking and doing research. My TV tuner doesn't get all the digital channels my other TV gets. So Looking more into it, a DTV converter box looks like the best way to go. I can just hook it to my NTSC plug (instead of the ATSC) and get the Digital OTA that way. It will give me composite video out also. The only thing is, I still need to do more research, that DTV converters take HDTV OTA broadcast and downgrade them to SDTV signals.

So what do you guys think of this idea? Its cheaper than the demodulator, more current than a VCR, and gives me more DTV OTA channels.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
Its not the tuner box. Mine works fine. It's that I have no sound. So I need a box that will turn an RF connector into composite RCA outs so I can hook it to a Surround sound receiver.

if you read the above posts, we told you that you need an ATSC tuner. that IS a box that will turn rf connector to a/v outputs.

Quote:
The only thing is, I still need to do more research, that DTV converters take HDTV OTA broadcast and downgrade them to SDTV signals.

correct. and no, you cannot use a vcr to get your audio outputs if you are only getting a signal from an antenna. if you had cable from a cable company, that would work fine. but since you are using OTA ATSC, that is digital, and you need a digital tuner.

on a side note, you could just put a new board into the tv to get the sound working. obviously, when the tv shorted out, it also shorted out the audio processor, which is why you arent getting sound. or you could just buy a new tv; Sceptre isnt the best brand out there anyway...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts