AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the box from Time Warner and had it hooked up through component cables. Two days later I purchased my HDMI cable and connected it , and now I get video, but no sound. i have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I've disconnected the component video and I've been through all the settings available on my tv and cable box. My tv is the new 50"Sony LCD. Everything has been perfect up till now. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Yea the audio does not work with the SA8300, HDMI, and the passport software. This is a known issue to TWC and they just have not come up with a fix yet. For now you will just have to use component like everyone else. Or you can use the rca analog outputs from the cable box. That does work but the volume level is all messed up and you won't get surround sound that way.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Check the "audio setup" on the SA8300 Setup Wizards. I'm assuming you are using the speakers on the Sony LCD.

If the SA8300 is set for "Dolby Digital" on its "digital audio" setting, and your HDTV doesn't accept Dolby Digital via HDMI (which delivers digital audio from SA8300 to HDTV), you will have no sound from your HDTV speakers. You need to change that "digital audio" setting to "HDMI" which forces 2-channel L/R PCM sound as the digital audio format on the HDMI cable. This will provide acceptable sound to your Sony LCD speakers.

This is also the case with the Sharp Aquos 45" LCD which accepts HDMI input but cannot accept Dolby Digital sound delivered via HDMI. It can only accept 2-channel L/R PCM digital sound. The issue is faced by everyone, depending on whether they are playing sound from SA8300 to a receiver and surround sound system or to the HDTV speakers.

Perhaps if you picked up an SA8300 that somebody else had configured, they were using the "Dolby Digital" mode because they were feeding a home theater sound system via the digital audio output of the SA8300 (optical or coax) and not caring about sound from the HDTV speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.