AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this elsewhere by accident...I hope I explain my problem correctly. We just got our Samsung UN65F9000 4K HDTV last week so we are still learning...We have a Marantz receiver with all the surround speakers and only have the HDMI cable hooked into the box that came with the TV. I have all the accounts set up and wireless is working. I thought I'd try to watch a movie from Amazon Prime and for some reason I only get sound from what is on the TV and not the movie I'm streaming.
Is there something on the TV I need to change? We only have the one hdmi. Is there a setting on the Marantz receiver? I shouldn't need to change it to DVD like I did before when I wanted to watch Netflix through the Bluetooth on the Blu-ray DVD player do I?

I hope someone can explain how to get the sound to work. I'd have to assume that I couldn't use Netflix either without changing something. It is probably a simple setting for those of you that know what you are doing and I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Terri IZE]

·
Registered
83 Posts

You would need to connect the Blu-Ray player into the AV Receiver.  Then have the HDMI out from the AV receiver connected to the HDMI in on the TV.  You will not get Surround sound from the tv through the AV receiver, only Stereo.  In order to get Surround sound, you need a Cable or Satellite Box, or OTA Tuner to connect to the Marantz.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought we were buying a smart TV...I didn't know it needed so much help to be smart;) I assumed since we get surround with all the movies from Cox that it was smart enough to use the sound from the Marantz. I just hate it when I have to ask my husband for help
I like to surprise him every know and then to know more than he does...I don't mind going in and tweaking the settings but I won't touch a cable and get accused for screwing something up. I'll print out your answer and tell him I made his job easier
Thanks so much for your time!

PS What is the point of streaming video to the TV if it has to have the Blu-ray dvd? The Marantz is the receiver...I guess if my husband understands that is all that matters. Thank you!!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Thanks for the smaller font, now try losing the bolding....

Is your Marantz ARC (audio return channel) capable? What model is the Marantz? If not ARC capable then you should be able to use an optical/toslink cable between the tv and the receiver; not all tvs will output multich sound via ARC or optical/toslink but believe yours will. Not all smart TV apps get multichannel sound but I believe yours on that tv probably does (I have an older Samsung, PN59D8000, which does not have multich sound in the Netflix app (and doesn't even have the Amazon app). Fun, isn't it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!! My cat is sleeping and I don't want to wake her to move close enough to read the small font, sorry. The font is smaller when I type than what it is when it posts here....SR5006 is the model of our Marantz and I'm not sure if it is ARC capable or not I'll have to read up on it. As far as the TV goes I do all the programming and adjustments and my husband messes with all the wiring. If something goes wrong, I want him to have nobody to blame....Amazing how the cat can get accused for hiding his remote
Thanks again

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Thanks. No, your receiver isn't ARC capable so you need more than an HDMI connection from your receiver to tv to get sound from your tv-sourced content, and in rereading your post not sure if you already have only hdmi from your cable box to your receiver to your tv? Or just one hdmi from your cable box to your tv? You need to confirm just what is connected to what by what method....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts