AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems strange that in an htpc forum there isn't a dedicated thread for the TV's we'd use with pro's con's. That way people can just check one thread instead of scouring the forum for very spread out info.

Would anyone else like to see a thread like this?

Because certainly not all HDTV's are equal when it comes to displaying as an HTPC display.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't understand why there would be a need for a preferred display for HTPC use. The whole point of an HTPC is to work like any other piece of AV gear and thus the intention is for it to work on any display.

I've hooked up HTPCs to rear projection CRTs, LCD flat panels, and plasmas. All looked great when playing video and after the HTPC video settings were tweaked according to the display.

In addition to that, you should be choosing your display based on more important factors, such as picture quality, black levels, color accuracy, etc. and not based on how well it jives with your HTPC. Most on this forum choose their displays based on those criteria.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis /forum/post/15560157

Because certainly not all HDTV's are equal when it comes to displaying as an HTPC display.

Why not? The only factor that I would consider being important, when it comes to using it with an HTPC, is that the TV has the ability to turn off overscan as it makes things easier.

Pick a TV based on picture quality, colors, etc. An HTPC is just another video source.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree.

So many post about getting rid of overscan, pixel mapping, which drivers with what display, does this display do 1:1 pixel over vga, with hdmi i on x get black borders on the side etc etc.

After video and audio quality of the tv the pc compatibility issues would be my next priority.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A preferred tv sticky is likely to become huge and unweildy; an FAQ would be better that doesn't name models but suggests what to look for.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster /forum/post/15560725

I don't understand why there would be a need for a preferred display for HTPC use. The whole point of an HTPC is to work like any other piece of AV gear and thus the intention is for it to work on any display.

All looked great when playing video and after the HTPC video settings were tweaked according to the display.

In addition to that, you should be choosing your display based on more important factors, such as picture quality, black levels, color accuracy, etc. and not based on how well it jives with your HTPC...

I don't think that's true. In an ideal world yes but TVs often cut corners and don't interface properly. Coming from the PC world, you might assume that an HDMI connection guarantees a proper connection, but no, many TVs don't even allow input at native resolution.

One of the things I'd suggest for any FAQ is to get a 1080p TV as with a 720p you are very likely to get a 768p panel that can't take a 768p input.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Any TV that will accept its native res, on the input you plan to use, without over/underscan.

Everything else is just personal preference.

-Suntan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts