AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from a 5.1 setup to 5.1.2 so I'm replacing my old Yamaha. I'm running Elac Debut 2.0s and a HSU VTF2 Mk5. Everything worked great under the Yamaha except for the Atmos(obviously).

I swapped in the Denon and I get no output on the sub. The sub sees a connection as it comes out of standby but nothing plays. I've tried turning the sub and the manual test tones up to the max with no output. The only time I've gotten something from the Denon was doing the Setup Assistant but it was so low that I barely heard it. I tried the Audessy setup and get the same low output that the mic isn't able to pick up.

I called Denon and they suggested I exchange it, so I did and the new one is behaving the exact same way.

Am I missing something? I can't believe two AVRs would be defective out of the box or that Denon's are bad. Any ideas on what to look at?

·
Registered
28,914 Posts
I own that receiver with a HSU STF2 sub. No problems calibrating it. Set your sub volume between the 9 and 12 position. I guess that line would be about 1030 if on the line. Flip the switch to On instead of Auto. Then plug in the microphone and run Audyssey again.

Do you have Elac Debut 2.0's all around or a dedicated center speaker. Make sure all speakers are set to Small with a 80hz crossover. That allows your sub to handle the low end. What content are you playing? What's the source?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own that receiver with a HSU STF2 sub. No problems calibrating it. Set your sub volume between the 9 and 12 position. I guess that line would be about 1030 if on the line. Flip the switch to On instead of Auto. Then plug in the microphone and run Audyssey again.

Do you have Elac Debut 2.0's all around or a dedicated center speaker. Make sure all speakers are set to Small with a 80hz crossover. That allows your sub to handle the low end. What content are you playing? What's the source?
The sub is coming out of standby, switching it to on has no effect. I've tried setting the volume to both 9 and 12. 9 worked great on my Yamaha and resulted in a -6 or there abouts. I have a full 5.1 setup(haven't wired the Atmos yet) and my speakers are set to small with 80Hz crossover. But that's all irrelevant AFAICT since I can't get any of the test tones to work.

I've gone into the Manual Setup menu, set the Sub test tone to +12db and turned the sub volume all the way up to 100% and heard nothing. I've tried both sub output 1 and 2 on the receiver. If I touch my finger to the sub cable tip, I can hear a hum from the sub.

When I run the Setup Assistant I can hear the test tone but only when sitting right in front of the sub. During the Setup Assistant run I was also able to barely hear the Audyessy tone but the mic wasn't able to pick it up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried some more testing and want to hopefully clarify what test tones I'm referring to.

Manual Setup->Levels->Test Tones results in no sound, even with the sub at max volume and the tone configured to +12db
Setup Assistant musical tone can be heard from the sub at low levels with volume set to 9 o'clock.
Audyssey test tones are inaudible from the sub at 9 o'clock volume. At 12 and 3 o'clock volume the test tones are audible but Audyssey states that there is too much ambient noise.
At max volume on the sub the test tones are audible but Audyssey goes back to not finding the sub.

·
Registered
28,914 Posts
I've got nothing else. I have 5 Denon's receivers over 2 locations and they all work fine when calibrating speakers and subs. The oldest one is from 2008 and the newest is the s750

Maybe try posting in the Denon 2019 Owners thread linked below.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got nothing else. I have 5 Denon's receivers over 2 locations and they all work fine when calibrating speakers and subs. The oldest one is from 2008 and the newest is the s750

Maybe try posting in the Denon 2019 Owners thread linked below.

Yeah. It's definitely a stumper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts