AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I connect my sub to the "Subwoofer" pre-output on the SC-37 there is nothing output. If I move the cable to center or front and it gets sound, so I know the problem isn't my sub.

I did auto MCACC setup previously but my understanding was that this doesn't touch the subwoofer output at all, it only focuses on the other speakers.

On the face of the receiver I found the LFE setting that you can set to OFF, -5, -15 or -20db but it doesn't make a difference which I put it on, no output to subwoofer.

Is there another menu I'm missing? I've read through the manual and can't find anything.

EDIT: I just found this guy with the same issue. I suspect this is a configuration issue and not a problem with the receiver.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
This receiver problably works like the VSX10xx sereies.

if the front speakers are set to large it it will kill the subwoofer output.

You will have to set the subwooer setting to PLUS and then also set the Bass to BOTH so that the fronts and sub get the main bass the LFE will go to the subwoofer only...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I got into the Speaker setting and it has Front/Center/Surround set to LARGE which is correct... Sub was set to "No" which I changed to "Yes" but still no output.

Unfortunately I can't find the Normal/Plus sub setting anywhere.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
YES but there should be another setting after yes...it should say PLUS if not then it should be workimg then.

Im not familure with that specfic model its been a while since Ive set up a Pioneer but the last one VSX10XX had the Plus setting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. I was able to change speakers to "Small" and the sub started working. I need to do more research on this however, because my speakers are not small and I want to get the most out of them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegroove
Thanks for your help. I was able to change speakers to "Small" and the sub started working. I need to do more research on this however, because my speakers are not small and I want to get the most out of them.
"Small" and "Large" are relic terms that have little relevance to the size of your loudspeakers. Your "not small" speakers should be set to "Small" for proper bass management (i.e. integration of your subwoofer).

Please read ccotenj's explanations why "Small" is nearly always the correct setting:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=755

AJ

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for that link WiWave. It makes sense from a home theater perspective and sounds dang good so far but I'll have to do some testing for Music listening which is my primary reason for the room. Perhaps there is an easy way to switch to "Large" for music and "Small" for Theater.

You can see the KEFs are rated at 55 and 60hz so cutting them at 60 is not cutting much but 80hz is cutting 20-25hz off of what they were designed to produce. The Reference 203's produce big sound way down deep but KEF only rates them down to 55Hz for the fronts.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yep that was my next suggestion if it didnt give you the PLUS mode.

Pioneer used to do that way back on receivers before they gave a PLUS mode.

As mentioned SMALL isnt small its a bass managment thing. Denons also call for small setting before Audessy is supposed to be run......They should just leave it one setting and not give options, its screws to many peopel up lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty frustrated. When I switch to Phono input and listen to Vinyl it changes to Stereo which is fine but I'm missing low end now. I assume the crossover setting from MCACC applies when in Stereo mode as well.

Does anyone know of a way to enable the sub AND specify large speakers or lower the crossover on the receiver?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone!

I also have a question:

Is there any way in SC37, where it is possible to use a input, CD or Phono for example, in stereo without a SUB without having to access the setup to disable it?

Example: choosing BD input, the receiver automatically identifies 5/7.1 and selecting CD or phono he identifies that it is a 2.0 stereo source

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.