AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having an odd issue with mp3 playback.


movies and videos sound fine with great subwoofer response, but when i play back mp3 files, i get zero subwoofer.


this happens no matter which player i use, WMC, MPC-HC, albumplayer....

no subwoofer.


i've tried every mp3 file i have and it's the same result no matter how bass heavy the song is.


i'm using ffdshow as my only codec pack, so i'm guessing that i'm just missing some setting in the ffdshow audio decoder. i'm also noticing that there is no ffdshow icon in the system tray during mp3 playback, so it would seem that ffdshow isn't being used at all like it does during video/movie playback.

has anyone ever seen this? is there some simple setting that i'm missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
whoops, forgot to mention that i'm using the spdif output off a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H mobo (in case that helps...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone have any ideas on this? or experience a similar issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge /forum/post/19545043


anyone have any ideas on this? or experience a similar issue?

I had a somewhat similiar issue. I was using a a pioneer VSX-1018 AVR and connecting through HDMI to my HTPC, but was experiencing the same issue (full 5.1 for movies but 2.0 stereo with no subwoofer for mp3).

I was connecting the subwoofer through the LFE output (single cable) rather than left/right speaker cable though the subwoofer and then to the front speakers (which would provide subwoofer bass when playing mp3's).

The problem using the single LFE cable to the woofer being that the stereo mp3's are 2.0 channel (not 2.1) so the AVR has no way of knowing you want to use the subwoofer. I fixed it in the end using the subwoofer settings on the AVR which had 3 values I could use: ON/OFF and PLUS. The PLUS setting on my receiver meant it would route a signal to the subwoofer regardless of how many channels are being played.


I suggest looking in your AVR manual if such a setting exists, or perhaps ffdshow has a similiar setting.

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/simpl...-settings.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on my AVR, the LFE is lit when playing both movies and mp3's, and according to my manual, the LFE lights when the source playing back contains and LFE channel and the LFE channel signal is actually being reproduced.


so if i read that right, my htpc is actually sending a low freq signal when playing mp3's, and the AVR is detecting it and using it, but it just isn't being played on the subwoofer itself?


is there something else i am missing here? some setting i'm not using correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge
on my AVR, the LFE is lit when playing both movies and mp3's, and according to my manual, the LFE lights when the source playing back contains and LFE channel and the LFE channel signal is actually being reproduced.


so if i read that right, my htpc is actually sending a low freq signal when playing mp3's, and the AVR is detecting it and using it, but it just isn't being played on the subwoofer itself?


is there something else i am missing here? some setting i'm not using correct?
Did you look at the FFD settings I posted in the link above?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if the LFE is lit on the AVR, wouldn't it indicate that i don't need the ffdshow registry hacks since that light means that it is receiving an LFE signal?


i also wanted to mention that i am getting a signal out of the center and rear channels when playing mp3 files, so it would seem that the dolby II decoding is working, right? just no subwoofer...


i have my ffdshow all set up like it says in that setting, still nothing. it doesn't look like ffdshow is being activated when an mp3 is playing. i didn't modify my registry yet. it's not allowing me to rename that MP3DMOD.DLL (permission denied), so i think i have to try that "take ownership" reg hack that hack7mc has on it's download page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge
if the LFE is lit on the AVR, wouldn't it indicate that i don't need the ffdshow registry hacks since that light means that it is receiving an LFE signal?


i also wanted to mention that i am getting a signal out of the center and rear channels when playing mp3 files, so it would seem that the dolby II decoding is working, right? just no subwoofer...


i have my ffdshow all set up like it says in that setting, still nothing. it doesn't look like ffdshow is being activated when an mp3 is playing. i didn't modify my registry yet. it's not allowing me to rename that MP3DMOD.DLL (permission denied), so i think i have to try that "take ownership" reg hack that hack7mc has on it's download page.
What are you using to play Mp3's? Try in WMP or a program where you can see it is using FFDShow. Or select the FFDshow filter in the program you are using..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally got it.

found a section in the manual that says that if you have your front speakers L/R set to "large" then nothing is sent to the sub, but if you set it to small it uses the subwoofer.


everything, movies and mp3's seem to have plenty of subwoofer action now.


thanks for all the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge /forum/post/19565607


finally got it.

found a section in the manual that says that if you have your front speakers L/R set to "large" then nothing is sent to the sub, but if you set it to small it uses the subwoofer.


everything, movies and mp3's seem to have plenty of subwoofer action now.


thanks for all the help!

Should have thought of that myself, but I don't use the speaker size anymore (I used to use this on the pioneer VSX-1017) now there is the PLUS option on the VSX-1018.


Glad you have it sorted though :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top