AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Panasonic RP62 hooked up to a 7.1 A/V receiver by the digital optical cable. I have no sound from the surround back speakers. I know the speakers are connected OK since they work fine when I do the test tone by the receiver.

Please advise if there is an obvious reason to you.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please forgive the question - but are you playing 7.1 media or using a receiver mode like Logic 7 that synthesizes 7 channels from 5?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are getting test tones then the receiver is in the wrong "mode". Do you own Video Essentials? If not, you may be able to rent it from a local video place. You can use it to test 5.1 DD/DTS and 6.1 DD/DTS. Turn off the 7.1 and try basic DD/DTS and see if erverything works OK. What Receiver are you running?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know enough about this stuff to even understand your questions. Anyway, I use a new Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (which suppse to be able to decode 6.1 and 7.1 source) and the DVD I use to test is Star Wars I which I am pretty sure having the back channel.

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Keep in mind that the center back channel gets the least amount of activity of any speaker in your surround sound system. Even on discs that are encoded for 6.1, that speaker usually has very little activity.

First things first, check your receiver settings to make sure that the 6.1 decoding and the center speakers are turned on. Your receiver should be capable of generating test tones from each speaker so that you can set your audio levels. When you do that, do you get anything from these speakers? If not, consult your owner's manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the category of "being sure it's plugged into the outlet" :D — you do have the RP-62 set to "bitstream" rather than PCM, I hope?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do get test tone from all of the speakers, including the ones in question (surround back).

On the DVD player, I do set both Dolby Digital and DTS to "Bitstream".

What else should I do. Please help!!!!

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Riverplace
I do get test tone from all of the speakers, including the ones in question (surround back).

On the DVD player, I do set both Dolby Digital and DTS to "Bitstream".

What else should I do. Please help!!!!
I don't know that there is anything else to do. Maybe try cranking up the volume to those speakers. And make sure that the "Matrix" decoding mode is turned on in the receiver.

It's very possible that the movie just doesn't have a lot of surround activity in that channel. Most don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a sunfire UR and have plenty of information coming from my surround back channels on episode 1. One thing you might check, the UR does not automatically switch to EX mode when you are using an EX source. In order to turn on EX decoding you need to hit the mode button once and Dolby EX will be displayed for a few seconds on the display. Good, luck I hope you can get it to work, I absolutely love my UR.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Riverplace
I don't know enough about this stuff to even understand your questions. Anyway, I use a new Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (which suppse to be able to decode 6.1 and 7.1 source) and the DVD I use to test is Star Wars I which I am pretty sure having the back channel.
Did you go into the audio setup on the DVD and select DD 5.1 EX??

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sorry - I missed Dman2000's post!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.