AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Forrest Gump over the weekend and was extremely disappointed with the audio track. Not once, during the course of the whole movie, did I hear sound from the rear channels.

What a bummer... I have enjoyed the soundtrack from this movie and am really dismayed that it comes across so poorly. I really hope it's just my disc...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gfidaho:
I watched Forrest Gump over the weekend and was extremely disappointed with the audio track. Not once, during the course of the whole movie, did I hear sound from the rear channels.

What a bummer... I have enjoyed the soundtrack from this movie and am really dismayed that it comes across so poorly. I really hope it's just my disc...
No question this disk is front stage loaded, but to say nothing came out of your surrounds during the whole presentation is flat out wrong so you must have a bad disk.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you mention a place in the movie where sound is definately emitted by the surround (rear) speakers? I would sure like to confirm my opinion. Perhaps others will have comments...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gfidaho:
Would you mention a place in the movie where sound is definately emitted by the surround (rear) speakers? I would sure like to confirm my opinion. Perhaps others will have comments...

I'm not on my system right now, but if memory serves me correct ... the Nam fire fight sequence had surround effects and so did the football sequence.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just out of curiosity, were you listening to Dolby Digital or Pro Logic?

------------------

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by chroma601:
Just out of curiosity, were you listening to Dolby Digital or Pro Logic?
I was using: DOLBY DIGITAL

·
Registered
342 Posts
The LD had the same audio problem (lack of surround). You would think they would remaster the audio for the DVD version, not so.

------------------

Home Theater Photos at:
http://members5.clubphoto.com/kathy376507/

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Csoltko:
The LD had the same audio problem (lack of surround). You would think they would remaster the audio for the DVD version, not so.

I have just read three DVD reviews on this disk, no one states that there is no surround component. They both claim there is although sparing. See www.widescreenreview.com and www.dvdmg.com and www.dvdfile.com

[This message has been edited by MikeM (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by MikeM:

I have just read three DVD reviews on this disk, no one states that there is no surround component. They both claim there is although sparing. See www.widescreenreview.com and www.dvdmg.com and www.dvdfile.com

I tried the disc at lunch break... There is <b>NO SOUND</b> emitted by the rear surrounds during the "Nam Fire Sequence" ! During the football game, there is musical soundtrack coming from the surrounds, however it is only discernable if I stand very, very close to one of the rear surround speakers. It will be interesting to see if others complain of this problem during the next week.

In the mean time, this copy is being returned to the vendor.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Check out "Requiem for a Dream". I don't think my rear speaker have ever worked so hard.

------------------

Hello ! My name is Mike and I’m a Home Theater Addict.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM:

I'm not on my system right now, but if memory serves me correct ... the Nam fire fight sequence had surround effects and so did the football sequence.
I anticipated the "Nam Fire Fight" sequence would have surround effects, however I was very surprised to find they were non-existant. I will test it again during lunch break...

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Guys,

Robert Zemeckis put the axe down when it came time to mix the movie.

He did not want much surround activity (at the time he thought it would be a distraction). There is nothing wrong with the soundtrack. Well maybe from a sound buff stand point, but it was a creative decision and not an authoring mistake.

Mr. Zemeckis even stopped Paramount from adding chapter stops to the old DD AC-3 RF laserdisc release!

Dan

------------------

STOP HDCP/5C and The MPAA!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm considering buying this movie, is this disk 2.0, 4.0 or 5.1? Also, how is the picture?. This disk and Ghandi are tops on my list as soon as the eagle flies.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer Man:
I'm considering buying this movie, is this disk 2.0, 4.0 or 5.1? Also, how is the picture?. This disk and Ghandi are tops on my list as soon as the eagle flies.
The disc is 5.1, but as far as I am concerned, it is more like 3.1. I found the picture to be fine, but nothing special...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman:
Guys,

Robert Zemeckis put the axe down when it came time to mix the movie.

He did not want much surround activity (at the time he thought it would be a distraction). There is nothing wrong with the soundtrack. Well maybe from a sound buff stand point, but it was a creative decision and not an authoring mistake.

Mr. Zemeckis even stopped Paramount from adding chapter stops to the old DD AC-3 RF laserdisc release!

Dan
Since its release this has been one of my favorite movies. I really like the story and certainly appreciate the right of Mr. Zeemeckis to express himself. I just wonder if he drives a car that has power windows in the front but with hand-cranks in the back...

·
Registered
309 Posts
It sounds to me like this is another movie that will get SE later on if sound and picture are just par. I'll still get it because it was a really good movie, maybe 5.1 Logic 7 will add more to the surrounds. Movies like this are no brainers for 1st class treatment.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
There is no point in returning a disc for something like this. Individual disc defects happen, but they don't cause things like no audio in the surrounds! If the disc is defective you'll have things like macroblocking, locking up, skips etc. etc. There is no disc-to-disc quality variation that would be improved by buying another copy of the same mastered disk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gfidaho,

Stop whining about the sound... the film was edited that way for the theatre also.

Instead: start complaining about the excessive use of EE (edge "enhancement") in the transfer from film to DVD.

That is an issue that can really be fixed.

Alex

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I was surprised at the lack of sound from the rear speakers also, but the edge distortion (enhancement) was almost unbearable. Why are studios so inconsistent? Had just watched a Star Trek episode (Paramount) and the EE was minimal then put in Forrest Gump (Paramount) and the ringing was so awful I could almost hear it.

------------------

William
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.