21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Schievink:
Gfidaho,

Stop whining about the sound... the film was edited that way for the theatre also.
Are you implying that audio cannot be remastered for modern audio systems?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Schievink:Gfidaho,

Instead: start complaining about the excessive use of EE (edge "enhancement") in the transfer from film to DVD.

That is an issue that can really be fixed.

Alex
Now this is interesting, you have the right to whine about "excessive use of EE" but heaven forbid someone who "whines" about the sound...

Is it possible that those of us with smaller(36")televisions do not notice EE as much as those who are fortunate enough to own "Big Screen" systems? Don't get me wrong... excessive EE is no doubt a big problem and remains a hot topic in this forum (I don't want to open up that can of worms in this post).

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think what he was trying to say was that Forrest Gump is a 5.1 surround release and it does have surround sounds occasionally emanating from the back. It's not up to the level or standard you expected, but it is what it is and it's always been that way. I think he thought there was some hyperbole in the title of the thread leading peopl eto believe there is no surround sound on Gump and that's not true -- it's just faint.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM:
I think what he was trying to say was that Forrest Gump is a 5.1 surround release and it does have surround sounds occasionally emanating from the back. It's not up to the level or standard you expected...
Thanks MikeM, you hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
by Forrest Gump:
"I don't know if we each have a destiny... Or if we're all floatin' around, accidental-like, on a breeze. But I think maybe it's both... Maybe both are happening at the same time..."

[This message has been edited by gfidaho (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
714 Posts
You bring up a good point about the size of the tv determining how extreme the edge enhancement appears ... did anyone ever stop to think that when these dvd's are mastered and the edge enhancement is applied, that maybe the editors or producers or whomever might be watching this movie on smaller monitors and the edge enhancement doesn't appear to be bad at all? I'm sure a lot is determined by the quality of the monitors as well.

So I was about to run out and buy this disc since it's one of my favorites ... I have a 40" 16x9 tv ... is the EE really that bad? Now I'm paranoid that maybe I shouldn't get it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I just finished watch Forrest Gump and I can say that it is a beautiful transfer. The contrast is very deep with the colors dead on. A great improvement over the LD.

As far as the sound....yes therre is little or no surround info but that is the same as the theater and the LD. Only the football game has loud surround.

I did not get the chance to view the second disc which has all the special features and extras though they are extensive.

On my 60x107 screen I noticed no edge enhancement. There were some isolated scenes were there was some ringing but only momentarily.

The type of monitors that are used in view the DVD transfer process cost anywheres from $15,000 all the up and past $25,000 and are not that big...usually 19" is the maximum. They are made by companies like Sony and Ikegami.

For anyone who loves Forrest Gump...do not hesitate to go out and buy this wonderful DVD. This is the best it will look until some HD format arrives in 2 or 3 years.

Lee

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crow331:
You bring up a good point about the size of the tv determining how extreme the edge enhancement appears ... did anyone ever stop to think that when these dvd's are mastered and the edge enhancement is applied, that maybe the editors or producers or whomever might be watching this movie on smaller monitors and the edge enhancement doesn't appear to be bad at all? I'm sure a lot is determined by the quality of the monitors as well.

So I was about to run out and buy this disc since it's one of my favorites ... I have a 40" 16x9 tv ... is the EE really that bad? Now I'm paranoid that maybe I shouldn't get it.
Yes it is pretty bad. But I would still buy it. On a 40" screen it should not appear to objectable.

------------------

William
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by William (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mikem,

Exactly...

Let's complain (whine if you like), about things that CAN be changed. ( Wasn't it Gandhi who said you could fight for two reasons: revenge or change?)

Nobody complains about the mono Woody Allen movie transfers either, or the lack of color in Schindler's list, or the colorization of the matrix (oops well maybe they do about that one..)...

As far as Gandhi goes, I think it is a fine transfer with minor to average EE. It was great to see that movie finally anamorphically enhanced, so it can be blown up for a theatre-like experience. The sound has been re-mastered and that is audible. My LD had a considerable lack of dynamic range. That has been solved on the LD.

Alex

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I agree 100 % with Lee which is basically the same synopsis I would give. I also have a 100" wide screen and a 9" crt blasting away at it and Gump's video quality looked good, but not great, to me. Perfectly acceptable, better than any other format, but not a 10 Best award winner in DVD PQ. Ringing was minmal, but there are a few scenes where you can see it(helicopter scenes in Nam had ringing as I recall).

[This message has been edited by MikeM (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess it really depends on the display.

I am using an ISF calibrated pioneer pro710 64" rptv.

It only has 7" guns, and it is known to ring a little (or a lot depending on who you ask) more than others.

To me the ringing was very noticable; I can not really remember a disc that rung more (except maybe unbreakable).

I even noticed ringing in the vertical direction, and I am pretty sure you should see vertical ringing on pretty much any large enough device (since it's across different scan lines).

The ringing was (of course) most noticable when text appeared... I guess a benchmark would be that if you don't see ringing on the opening credits, you won't see it anywhere else either.

I loved the sound... It really breaks out three-dimensionally in the spectacular scenes (vietnam, the storm). Using 3d sound sparingly adds to the dramatic effect of it, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Alex:

There was definitely ringing in the credits, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Schievink:

I loved the sound... It really breaks out three-dimensionally in the spectacular scenes (vietnam, the storm). Using 3d sound sparingly adds to the dramatic effect of it, IMHO.
My copy of this dvd does not "break out three-dimensionally in the spectacular scenes". It produces no sound at all, during the Vietnam firefight, from the rear channels.

In reviewing posts from other websites, I notice others are experiencing the same problem. Our complaints are dismissed by many who say the audio is supposed to be subdued. I agree that it is supposed to be subdued through most of the film, but it should not be non-existant throughout the whole film!

Just out of curiousity, are you guys using Region 1 disks?

I wish I hadn't sold my copy of Forrest on ebay as I would really like to send it to one of you for review. "Stupid is as stupid does"...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, region 1.

Listen to the surrounds on the end credit music...

If you don't have any there, you definitely have a "defective" disc.

Basically what I'm hearing is that there must be 2 DVD masters out there, since DVD's pulled from the same master would have the same audio and video bit stream. And could therefore not have the sound disparity between discs that you describe.....

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
It is not a defective disk, but a defective design by Zemeckis. There is no rear sound during the Vietnam scene. None during the anti war speech too, but during the church choir scene and closing credits there is a small amount a rear speaker activity.

------------------

William
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by William (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
William,

When I go back home tonight I will check this. But in the beginning of the Vietnam scene for instance, a helicopter flies over your head.....

Now: this can be done with two speakers, so that's why I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure, there as good rear surround activity there (and many othere places too)...

Alex

·
Registered
488 Posts
My video was exemplary on my 100" screen-good detail and color. I, like some other folks on here, was disappointed in the audio, in particular in the Vietnam fire fight scene. My ld in pcm prologic is very active and really quite dynamic. I had hoped that DD 5.1 would have been nothing short of terrific but I felt it was lacking.

Zemicki notwithstanding, surely this would not be a ruse to have us buy this again in say, dts, or God knows what? Golly, gee whiz, they surely wouldn't try to get us to buy this once more in some other form, now would they? What, me cynical? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hesitate to call the video transfer exemplary. While the EE isn't the worse, it is really annoying whenever it appeared. There was also noticable reverse ringing into the faces in a lot of scenes. And in my setup, there was a distinct "video" look (as opposed to "film-like") to the entire transfer. And even though the audio mix isn't the most aggressive either, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie otherwise.

Could it be possible that the enhancement frequency affects the visibility differently depending on the display device? In other words, does the visible severity of the edge enhancement differ depending on the display device and "aperture" used for the enhancement, given that the amount used is a constant? For instance, some setups may show a luminance frequency boost at 4MHz as more severe than one at 5MHz?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rice Rocket:

Could it be possible that the enhancement frequency affects the visibility differently depending on the display device? In other words, does the visible severity of the edge enhancement differ depending on the display device and "aperture" used for the enhancement, given that the amount used is a constant? For instance, some setups may show a luminance frequency boost at 4MHz as more severe than one at 5MHz?[/b]
Rice Rocket: I don't know if this is the case or not but I am not seeing some of the things that some of the folks are complaining about on some of these forums. I have a Runco 900A Projector, 100" Stewart Filmscreen, Proceed PMDT dvd player(sans progressive update),but-running directly to Faroudja 100 LD line doubler via S-video cable.

FG looked very good to me with this setup and HANNIBAL was sensational, very film-like.

[This message has been edited by Ernie Smith (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
My momma always told me sound is like a box of chocolates... You never know what your gonna get!

------------------

I love the smell of ozone in the morning…

·
Registered
461 Posts
Someone who has this DVD and PLII ought to try this movie in PLII. IF the 5.1 is that bad and is PLII is as good as other people here say it is, then it might be a better sound. I am curious to see if it makes it better. Since PLII is a matrix surround sound then it may enhace what the front speakers do where 5.1 wouldn't.

Just a thought from that little pea brain of mine.

------------------

Laugh it up fuzzball!!!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
another so-so easy release from Paramount.

my ld in PCM especially is quite a pleasure for the ears. very very nice PCM, even more natural and bassy than the AC3.

good surrounds.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.