AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
This appears to be a warehouse specific model. It basically has the case of an lm6700 (with one minor change) and the features of an lm6200. The only feature difference between those two sets is the local dimming on the 6700, which is not on either the 6200 or the 6700.


I would expect the same comments we see on the 6200 to apply, but YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Isn't the "LED Plus" feature supposed to be LGs name for local dimming? I believe the LM6700 has it and the LM 6200 does not.


The LG website lists the LM6400 as only regular "LED" technology, implying no local dimming. But I got a look at the TV at Costco and the box clearly says "LED Plus". The price at Costco for the 55LM6400 is down to about $1450, putting it in the 55LM6700 internet price class. I would expect the features to be at the LM6700 level, otherwise Costco isn't offering much of a deal which would be unusual for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Costco now has the TV for $1399 with a 3-D blu ray and 10 pairs of glasses, is that a good price for this deal? I am in the market and want something comparable, I know Samsung has a similar bundle for around the same price. Any info would be much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has Local Dimming, and I got the price adjustment to match the coupon... I saved $200


No matte screen though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior  /t/1414744/no-talk-on-the-lg-6400#post_22357027


It has Local Dimming, and I got the price adjustment to match the coupon... I saved $200

No matte screen though.

How is screen uniformity on this set? I too saw this at Costco and PQ looked pretty good but it's hard to tell about black levels/flashlighting/blacklight-bleed/clouding inside a bright store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
yeah ,i think so, The only feature difference between those two sets is the local dimming on the 6700, which is not on either the 6200 or the 6700.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just purchased this tv from Costco (Folsom, CA) on 09/16/12 for $1199 and am IN LOVE with it! If you are looking in the 1200 range this is definitely the best bang for the buck. After having the TV for about a week now, there is nothing negative I can state. The TV is Clear, Bright, Vivid colors, Functional Magic remote, Smart Apps work well, Wireless connectivity is awesome, very thin and hangs on wall nicely. I don't know what more I can say, just awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtDogg  /t/1414744/no-talk-on-the-lg-6400#post_22420456


I just purchased this tv from Costco (Folsom, CA) on 09/16/12 for $1199 and am IN LOVE with it! If you are looking in the 1200 range this is definitely the best bang for the buck. After having the TV for about a week now, there is nothing negative I can state. The TV is Clear, Bright, Vivid colors, Functional Magic remote, Smart Apps work well, Wireless connectivity is awesome, very thin and hangs on wall nicely. I don't know what more I can say, just awesome!

Cool. Glad you like it. How is screen-uniformity? Any flashlighting, backlight-bleed, or clouding? Accurate colors?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Kurt: can you confirm if it has local dimming?


I just bought this set from costco but haven't opened it up yet. Then I started reading about how the 7600 has local dimming and 240 hz refresh rate.... and I found it for only $200 more than the 6400... and I bought the 7600 (paid on line, have not picked it up yet... would be EASY return)


NOW, the more I read - the less it is clear whether the 6400 has local dimming or not. The box for my 6400 says "LED PLUS". but the LG website does not say LED PLUS (as for the 6700) on the main features description.


Right now, I'm thinking if the 7600 has LED PLUS and the 6400 does not, I will swap up for $200. If the 6400 has confirmed LED PLUS/local dimming (can you adjust the "local dimming" in the menu?) then I'll stick with the 6400 and pocket the $200.


If you happen to check this thread, could you say for sure if there is LED plus on the 6400? I don't want to unbox it to find out if I don't have to.


I've come to gather that the 240hz refresh rate is NOT worth any extra money... so it is really all about local dimming for me between these two models.


This link on LG website says "edge led plus" and "local dimming = yes" on the 6400. (second tab - panel specifications). But funny it does not proclaim LED plus on the first tab. confusing literature...

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LM6400-led-tv


**UPDATE** ok I plugged in the TV. It certainly DOES have local dimming, and I have it turned all the way up, with Trumotion off! I might not be a good TV critic... I liked my old TV fine. But this TV, for $1200 at Costco... seems just super. I'm going to cancel the Best Buy order for the 7600. Just for me... and my wife... this TV seems great.


Next week some night when my wife is gone I'll search the site for some calibration tips. But the picture out-of-the box is good for me.


By the way I haven't seen anybody mention this - the 6400 has a black bezel and a black stand (I think maybe this scheme is not identical to either the 6200 or 6700?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuhulin  /t/1414744/no-talk-on-the-lg-6400#post_22116134


This appears to be a warehouse specific model. It basically has the case of an lm6700 (with one minor change) and the features of an lm6200. The only feature difference between those two sets is the local dimming on the 6700, which is not on either the 6200 or the 6700.

I would expect the same comments we see on the 6200 to apply, but YMMV.

I checked the website and I think the 6400 is more like the 6700 than the 6200... pretty much matching the 6700's features and sandwiched right between the 6700 and 6200 for dynamic contrast ratio.

http://www.lg.com/us/compare/compare.lg?category=/us/tvs


The differences are as follows between 6400 and 6700:


6700 has 8000000:1 dynamic contrast vs 7000000:1 for the 6400 and 6000000:1 for the 6200. Funny the 7600 has 9000000:1 I guess what's another million? I'm not gonna put too much stock in this particular statistic I don't think...


6700 has "basic" resolution upscaler. 6400 has "plus" resolution upscaler (whatever that means)


6700 has "infinite surround". 6400 has "virtual surround". I gather infinite is better but I play through my AVR anyway.


6700 is skype ready, and has "wifi display". Not listed as features for the 6400.


Significantly, both 6700 and 6400 have LED Plus and the same 120hz TruMotion spec.




So bottom line... I'm crashing the 6700 thread...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I checked LG's site and no firmware update for the 6400, but an update is available for the 6700.

In your opinion, would the lack of software updates hurt this model?

I just bought the 6400 yesterday and I'm not sure I want to keep it if LG wont offer updates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
I've had the 47" 6400 for almost 3 weeks, have had 2 firmware updates so far with no problem. The firmware numbers match those people have been reporting for the 6700 model, so LG is definitely supporting this model as far as firmware updates. Once you get your internet access set up go to settings then click on the question mark at the bottom then "firmware (or software) update" to check your current version and update if necessary. Mine's on 120.18. I know it doesn't list any updates on the LG website but in reality they are being released on a regular basis.


I can enthusiastically echo all the positive comments others have posted on this model. I've got no flashlighting or clouding, excellent picture, tons of adjustment options. The screen isn't exactly matte but not mirror shiny like so many Samsungs. Even though I'm running audio through my receiver my impression of the speakers when I was setting up initially was that they are better than average for a thin flat panel. I sell tvs for a living and in my opinion this set outperforms many costing 30-50% more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S  /t/1414744/no-talk-on-the-lg-6400#post_22561986


I've had the 47" 6400 for almost 3 weeks, have had 2 firmware updates so far with no problem. The firmware numbers match those people have been reporting for the 6700 model, so LG is definitely supporting this model as far as firmware updates. Once you get your internet access set up go to settings then click on the question mark at the bottom then "firmware (or software) update" to check your current version and update if necessary. Mine's on 120.18. I know it doesn't list any updates on the LG website but in reality they are being released on a regular basis.

I can enthusiastically echo all the positive comments others have posted on this model. I've got no flashlighting or clouding, excellent picture, tons of adjustment options. The screen isn't exactly matte but not mirror shiny like so many Samsungs. Even though I'm running audio through my receiver my impression of the speakers when I was setting up initially was that they are better than average for a thin flat panel. I sell tvs for a living and in my opinion this set outperforms many costing 30-50% more.
Shortly after I posted, I received two updates, one right after each other. One update installed and when it rebooted it found another.

I have decided to keep the TV. I can live with some of the things I don't like.

I don't like the remote, to hard to change the input, not for me but for my wife. She liked the ability to just hit the input button on the remote rather than hitting the menu button and then selecting the input icon and then selecting the input.

I think the picture looks a little strange when faces contrast with with light colored clothing. The lines are almost too sharp. This may be a settings issue or even LED characteristics.

To see facial features I have to select Cinema mode, otherwise the skin tones seem washed out. Again this is minor and my be a setting issue.

There are so many settings available I get lost sometimes, I don't really like the big menu box because it hides so much of the screen it's hard to see the difference when making changes.

The 3D is outstanding, I didn't think I would like it but my kids have me watching it and all I can say is "Wow".

Blueray movies are beautiful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Does this tv have an IPS panel? The viewing angle looked great in store. The remote is awesome! The 55" is only 1098 at my local sams club!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz  /t/1414744/no-talk-on-the-lg-6400#post_22575794


Does this tv have an IPS panel? The viewing angle looked great in store. The remote is awesome! The 55" is only 1098 at my local sams club!

I found out this is indeed an IPS panel. Any thoughts on this set for input lag with gaming. I am guessing it cant be any worse than my current D6000 samsung. I may jump on this set soon. The design, picture, everything is amazing for the 1098 price. I just need to sell my D6000. Any good places to sell ur flat panel other than craigs list?
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top