AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty 65 VT30 had been buzzing faintly for a short period of time, but just a few days ago it's decided to turn the volume up.

It's loud. Super loud. No joke loud. I can even tell where the buzzing is coming from - if you're facing the panel it's the upper right quadrant. It sounds like a small fan that's basically rubbing against it's own casing.

My Panny is way out of warranty. Any suggestions? Try to call Panasonic and see what they say?

Thanks all.

-JR

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe it's a loose screw or something in that area of the TV? If you're comfortable with it, take off the back panel and have a look around and see if anything needs to be tightened?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My ST30 had the same buzz about 8 months ago but it eventually went away, or at least lessened to where I couldn't notice it. Anyway, flash forward to about 2 weeks ago the TV died with the 7 blinks of death. I wish I had researched the buzz back then, could have maybe prolonged it from dying by re-tightening and/or blue loctiting the screw(s). I ended up pulling the boards and sending them for repair to ModuslinkPTS. Just got them back last week and I couldn't be happier to have my TV back up and running.

Pull the back cover and figure out which screws are loose and use some blue loctite (not red, too hard to remove) to keep them secured. Hopefully you're not having any pink/purple screen interference yet and you can avoid having to send the boards out. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thread referral fluxo - thank you so much! I've been reading through it, time to pop off the back of my panel and look for those telltale signs. I'm hoping it's just a fan (I can put my ear up to one of the vents and it sure sounds like a fan), but if it's the cards then I've got some great steps to take thanks to the info in that thread.

My ST30 had the same buzz about 8 months ago but it eventually went away, or at least lessened to where I couldn't notice it. Anyway, flash forward to about 2 weeks ago the TV died with the 7 blinks of death. I wish I had researched the buzz back then, could have maybe prolonged it from dying by re-tightening and/or blue loctiting the screw(s). I ended up pulling the boards and sending them for repair to ModuslinkPTS. Just got them back last week and I couldn't be happier to have my TV back up and running.

Pull the back cover and figure out which screws are loose and use some blue loctite (not red, too hard to remove) to keep them secured. Hopefully you're not having any pink/purple screen interference yet and you can avoid having to send the boards out. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip lowe. If it's the boards then I'll def send them to ModuslinkPTS. Would you PM me how much it cost you? I see prices in the other thread, but they're from last year.

Thanks!

-JR

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just sent you a PM. You hopefully won't need to send anything out if you can get the buzzing to stop. I only became aware that there was an issue with the boards when my picture started having this purple / pink ghosting on the top half of the screen. It started innocuously enough but it got worse and worse over about a month's time. Thinking that it was IR, I tried different content, running the wipe bar through the service menu all night, precalibration color slides, and even the Disney WOW pixel flipper but it just kept getting worse until one afternoon.... 7 blinks. Good luck, hopefully you can save it before it has any picture issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
JR, I can't send PMs yet, need 15 posts. As for the cost, it was exactly what was quoted on the ModusLinkPTS website for my TV (TC-P55ST30). Return shipping is included in the cost, but you have to pay to ship the boards out. Between shipping and packing supplies, I paid about $20. I shipped mine out on a Friday and got them back the following Thursday. If you end up doing it, make sure you keep track of where all the screws go. I used a few pieces of cardboard, labeled for each board and the back cover, then I just poked holes in the cardboard to correspond to the holes to put the screws in. It worked out great. Pics are in the VT thread linked in post 3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts