AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bulb life and the fact that I just bought my RPTV last april is whats putting me off :)

But I'm interested in who's making the jump and what their results are looking like. I'm an HTPC user so I considered this early on, then changed my mind after moving into an apartment. Maybe when I go to a house I'll go the projector route.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I still have an RPTV, but I personally think I'd rather have an easily replaced long-life bulb than the big box in my livingroom that needs new tubes.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I bought a 48" hdtv about 3 months ago but i have a sony hs10 on order (great price-$2450 including shipping), i love the 48" jvc and hd looks great. I am moving at the end of the month to a condo with a loft that is enclosed, the jvc wont fit. such a nice room (13' x 20') that i decided to get the sony hs10 for it. i think i will probably end up using the hs10 more than the jvc rptv. anyhow i'll report back when it arrives and let you know what i think.

muncey

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think I qualify for this - I both had a 50" Toshiba 50H81 RPTV, highly tweaked and calibrated and I live in an apartment.

The resolution of the projector is significantly higher than the max possible on the RPTV - this is both true for DVD and for HDTV. It can very easily be seen on the 6.75MHz burst pattern on Avia which was a murky grey on the RPTV and is easily distinguishable vertical lines on the HS-10.

I do miss the deep blacks that the Tosh could put out on dark scenes. The HS-10 is much better though for scenes that have a mix of bright and dark as there are no annoying halos and the black level setting remains very constant relative to the Average Picture Level. With a proper screen (right now just have a white wall) and some judicious masking and maybe some black curtains around and above the screen, I'll be able to get a far superior and filmlike overall feeling in the room.

There is a bit of a digital look to the video (at my very close prefered viewing position of 1.45 to 1) which I actually prefer to the soft slightly out of focus look of the RPTV. The HS-10 just looks sharper. I usually did a full service convergence once a week too which I reeeeeeally don't miss!

I love the fact that I don't have to sit 5' from the screen to get the big picture impact and that friends and family can enjoy in with me too without requiring too much snuggling into the sweet spot. The screen and projector also take up zero space in the room which is an unexpected bonus (I usually don't mind lots of techno gadgets filling up my living space :) ).

Other great things about using a projector: no warm up time (used to take a full hour before the convergence would be spot on before!), can be used for computer games, surfing, etc. I've yet to try it - still got to get a video card with DVI on it. The screen is evenly bright from all viewing angles. I find I need a bit more light control than I would really prefer during the day but I have a full wall of windows on one side of my living room and a half assed set of curtains.

By the way, I bought the RPTV only just over a year ago then sold it to a friend who thinks it's just awesome (which it still is quite frankly, just not quite as awesome :) ). My other friends and family thought I was insane to get rid of this "huge" TV so I could get an even bigger one (ordered online from far far away sight unsenn no less) - that is until they came over and saw it :).

Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if I wasn't afraid of losing a huge amount of money by selling my RPTV (its a pre-DVI model) I'd probably be more inclined to sell it toward a projector, but right now its not much of an option.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just went from a Mitsubishi WS-55807 to my HS10. The blacks were clearly superior on the Mits. With a high-quality DVD player, a black screen would leave you wondering whether the TV was on or off! That's something I miss, but after less than 2 weeks with my HS10, it's bothering me less and less. Colors are not quite as intense on the HS10 either. But, the picture is more stable and shadow detail is better.

If having a large image is important to you, the a projector is the way to go. You can get a huge image without taking up any floor space! On the other hand, if you only are concerned about picture quality, then you might want to stick with the RPTV for now.

I was able to sell my RPTV very quickly for about 60% of what I paid for it. That will pay for the Firehawk screen that I'm planning to get.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I have switched from a Sony 46" RPTV to a FP. Although the Sony was not HD or even ED capable, it was/is a very good RPTV because of how easy it is to calibrate. I still have the Sony in the family room for the kids.

The experience so far with the FP is several orders of quality better than the Sony, maintly because of the limitations of the rear projection screen on the Sony.

I'm not sorry I waited this long to upgrade from the Sony, but it's days were numbered.

I checked out the larger format HDTV ready RPTV systems in our area, and FP offered significant increase in image size and quality over a RPTV.

I am using a XGA 1024x762 DLP, projecting a 82" screen and viewing from 10'. The image is excellent.

Good luck.

RJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great thread! as I am teetering on buying either a larger RPTV (65 +) or a FP.

Lot of talk about the bulb replacemnt and this seems to me like a good thing. To be able to bring your unit back to its original condition for a few hundred bucks seems like a money saver.

I don't quite understand the pixel thing however. Sounds like you may get a few dead ones out of the box, and then what. Do you get a few more, and then a few more, until image is filled with spots after a couple years?

Is the actual life span of these projectors based on how long your pixels last? If so is it expensive to fix and are DLP and LCD the same this way?

Sorry for such newbie ?s

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
The word around here is that dead pixels usually occur out of the box, and rarely increase over time. I checked my HS10 at the dealer before taking it home - and no dead pixels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.