Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Thanks to all... very curios to see an LT150 in action...
An LT150 with HTPC will likely look better than the Runco you saw (and the XGA Runco VX1C) for a fraction of the price.

You should search the archives of this forum (the DLP/LCD/DILA forum) for many posts on Runco.

The general concensus (according to my recollection of past posts): Runco projectors are pretty good but way overpriced unless you're a person who needs lots of hand-holding and/or just want the satisfaction of "having a Runco".

I've seen both the VX1C and VX101C in a local store and didn't notice any improvement from my modest little Compaq MP1600 XGA DLP driven by HTPC. -- Herb

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with the previous post, a LT150 with a good source will look as good or better as the SVGA Runco at 1/5th the price.

However, if you're willing to spend $10K, look at the following:

- Sharp 9000 DLP ($11K list)...widescreen DLP with great specs and great reviews so far. Out in September.

- Seleco HT200DM....DLP with a wide svga resolution and great colors. I think its around $8K.

- Sanyo XP21N XGA LCD (under $6K) ...excellent contrast for an LCD and a technology that reduces the screen door effect.

I personally have the LT150, and I've auditioned the Runco 101c quite a bit. My LT150 has as good a picture or better. And to think I've got <$4K in the projector, DVD player, screen, and cables.

If my budget were $10K though, I'd probably wait for the Sharp.

-Dave

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree with the previous two posts. I don't see a lot of difference with a XGA projector for DVD use - no smoother from 16 feet on a 92 inch wide screen.

If you have the budget take a look at the new Sharp. Do a search under Sharp 9000 and pay particular attention to the pictures of it in action that were posted.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
You guys and your crappy LT 150s crack me up

Lets just put a bulb in a lunch box, cut a hole, call it the LT 150 and say its the best darn thing for the money.

The fact is there is no cheaper projector on the planet.

Comparing it to the mediochre-at-best Runco and saying it beats it is ludicrous or you're blind.

Wake up!

Jeff

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey thebland have you actually seen an LT 150???

Miles

------------------

My System Config

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
Actually, no.

However, in watching the multitude of threads for the past month with the Dell sale on the unit and all the scrounging to get this cheap projector. It sort of sickened me.

Sort of like throwing scraps to hungry peasants.

The hobby seems to be *******ized and driven by price and not performance. The color wheel on this unit is plain unacceptable for serious home theater.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Jeff

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jeff,

There is no need to apologise, I was curious if you had, had the opportunity. Indeed the way I view the entire "Dell LT-150" affair is it was an excellent opportunity for many FP novices to get the big picture we all crave without busting the bank. and as an emerging technology this gives us all a great view to what is to come...

Miles

ps. I do have one! as since I was my first exposure to FP in my house I am happy to say It fits the bill great http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

My System Config

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Quote:
Indeed the way I view the entire "Dell LT-150" affair is it was an excellent opportunity for many FP novices to get the big picture we all crave...
Do you call Robert Wood a FP novice ?

Quote:
The color wheel on this unit is plain unacceptable for serious home theater
I think it will be wiser to reserve such judgments until you actually see a LT150 in action, don't you think ?

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jones_rush... ahhhhhhhhhh no where did I name any names, all I did was explain my own situation...

ie FP novice lucks out and gets a great deal on a FP. I am sure that I am not the only one in this particular situation... hence "many Novices" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Miles

------------------

My System Config

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
mwan,

I just don't get why you take "thebland" seriously. It is so obvious he is just an arrogant troll in the search of a flame war.

I guess all this time at Audioreview.com made me more sensitive to creeps like him.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
363 Posts
I like to give every one the benefit of the doubt... besides it doesn't cost anything to be civil...

Miles

------------------

My System Config

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
B.,

if you do a search for Runco VX1c & Lt150, you should find my first post from a couple months back. it's sounds amusingly similar to yours, with the exception that they were playing Gladiator.

if it weren't for the LT150/Dell affair, i would still be sitting in the basement staring at the tape marks on the wall, dreaming of a big white screen sitting in their place and a favorite movie streaming onto it in the dark.

the gist of the responses i got to that post were; yes, you can get cheaper and just as good (if not better) and now i can happily attest to that opinion also http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

i can now safely say i have the best HT set-up in the whole trailer park!

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
Miles........you're right.

Jeff

Enjoy your LT 150s guys.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Most people who did any type of research will probably agree that if a Runco matched its price with performance, it would probably be one of the most sought after projectors on the planet; and it's not, trust me.

Now I'm not trying to get any Runco owners upset--but they should have done their own homework!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
FOLDEDPATH! That was brilliant! You're Runco summation practicallly paralleled my experiences with the condescending dolts at my local "Temple of Home Theater."

The only real difference is that you're much more modest than I am. I can't help deriving pleasure from pulling up directly in front of the showroom with my twin-turbo. Just getting the chance to watch them salivate as I walk through the entrance is a trip within itself. You can't imagine the self satisfaction when I finally informed them not to bother calling anymore, because I purchased a 200DM and couldn't be happier.

And I also want to mention that the LT150 does have better image quality than the Runco 101, that's why I bought one for my daughter.

Ciao,

Peter Milo

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
This thread is a bit lopsided.

On the one hand, the original poster is talking about one of the highest-end projector lines available for home theater. Many of us do believe their line to be overpriced, but to some, price is not the primary consideration.

The Runco projectors are like Mercedes E class cars. A bit pricey, yes, but the performance is generally there to back it up.

The LT150, on the other hand, has to be the bargain-of-the-year projector. As someone pointed out, it's the cheapest projector currently available, and it's no slouch in performance. It's a perfect way to get into front projection home theater.

However, to say that the cheapest projector available actually beats one that costs five times as much isn't logical, and isn't correct. Sorry.

I'm not bashing the LT150. I actually own one, and like it quite a bit. It's certainly a fantastic bargain. It is not a high-end projector killer, however.

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 08-21-2001).]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.