Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great article...thanks for sharing.

Can't beleive the price that is quoted! $12,995!!!

Awesome projector...back to US OPEN in HDTV!!!

Later,

·
Registered
873 Posts
The reviewer MUST be a lurker here.

Kelly

·
Registered
956 Posts
Note that the review is from a New Zealand site, so that price is not in US dollars. (I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but I'm sure the figure given is just the retail price which as we all know is pretty irrelevant these days.)

Also, the reviewer Max Christoffersen is definitely known to hang around and participate in various online forums, and I believe I've seen his name on a few threads at AVS.

------------------

Paul Heroy

[email protected]

·
Registered
733 Posts
4.0 gain screen - and I thought 2.8 was high! Nice to see he was using the Toshiba 5109, chroma bug and all, and loved the image.

I think the New Zealand exchange is about 2:1, so a Dwin or Seleco would street for over $20,000.00. The Canadian exchange rate isn't nearly so bad, but once the middle men have their say these projectors are also around $20,000.00. My Dell LT150 cost me about $2,700.00 Canadian - the other guys are going to have to come up with something awfully good before I cough up over $20,000.00 Canadian! I wish them luck. Maybe a LT150(T) will give the new 16:9s a run for their money - come on Thumper do your thing!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had another look at this review - looks like a precis of another review posted by someone on this forum about six months ago.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
861 Posts
Gid-day from New Zealand! Max 'The Lurker' here...Just wanted to pass on my thanks for you taking the time to read my review of the LT-150, with a "Downunder' perspective (at www.audioenz.co.nz)

Yes I am a frequent visitor here, (still learning like everyone else) but mainly at the CRT/Processor forums altho increasingly here as my own exposure to LCD/DLP increases.

I had the LT-150 projector for a few days just before the Dell deal went on offer in the US and the review was written at the same time. It was interesting to read the comments from new owners after I had so recently had the unit and written the review about it.

It's always my aim to try to capture the character of a product and I hope where the LT-150 is concerned, that this is true. A new review about to go on line (next week) will show that CRT really does have some competition from the LT-150 in terms of focus and colour saturation. The price is accurate too - that is standard - no discounts and the bulb is $800NZ (Kiwi exchange is about 43 cents to the $US) - and enthusiasts here pay it and love it!

BTW my copy is original too - I have far too much to say about things HT generally so I don't need to copy anyone else'sthoughts - altho I do concede to discovering the white segment courtesy of a poster in this forum! One other point I left out of the review is I used it first on a perf screen (you can see it at the opinions section at Audioenz) and there were no moire effects at all.

Thanks for stopping by at Audioenz - while it is a Kiwi site, I hope it is an interesting read for our many US/Canadian and UK readers!

Max Christoffersen

Senior Writer Audioenz

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for personally stopping in to 'sign' the review, Max!

I agree with your thoughts 100%...it's all about the rainbow. At the price that it went for during the Dell deal, I can happily choose to not let it bother me.

Nice of you to post!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Max, we've had a debate raging on this forum as to what is the best screen to use with the LT150. Could you comment on your experience - you seemed to like a 4.0 gain? How were the black levels etc.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yes I agree it is all about the rainbows. I am among those that find the rainbow effect *very* disturbing. I turned down the opportunity to see the LT-150 again after the review was written because I *really* did not want to experience the rainbow image again. However if you do not see the rainbow then (fan noise/bulb cost aside) you are in for a visual treat. On the black issue, I found it was pretty convincing: Starship Troopers (landing sequence) was very dark and almost 'inky'.. BUT...(here's the rub), black for me really works on the scene in Starship Troopers where the soldier is ..well 'consumed' by one of the bugs..and the entire screen goes black after he has been..well..eaten. Now on my CRT, the entire room, screen and all, goes totally dark. With DLP/LCD you have a grey screen glowing in front of you with this scene. Now this for me is the real test of black: total abscence of light when the scene requires it. There are others (see my NEC 540 review sidebar) - but in terms of the LT-150 black rendition - I was thinking that this really is the bell tolling for CRT. But the next day I saw the rainbows. On the screen gain issue: I *really* know my own high gain screen well. I have used it daily since 1993. I did see the NEC on a Da-Lite per (1.0) but much prefer the image on my Draper at 4:1. However, I was surprised at how rich the colours were on my screen - because LCD for obvious reasons had failed with high gain but not true with DLP. They were in my view, made for each other. I also side with high gain generally, and am somewhat on the outer for preferring it. The downside for me is not hot-spotting, it's the screen texture coming through the image that is the trade-off for high gain. But the bottom line is I am *still* thinking about that little NEC box..it sure had an impact. And if not for the rainbow, this CRT guy might be swapping sides!

Max Christoffersen

Senior Writer AudioEnz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.