AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why they went with such an odd PSIP designations? 22.2 & 22.6? I wonder if this is just first draft tuning to get them online by the May 1st date.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would bet that 22-2 and 22-6 are not the permanent sub-channels. My guess is the engineer is getting familiar with the encoder.

Are you guys getting sound on 22-2? My Sony HD-200 isn't decoding the audio. My Onkyo receiver has the Dolby Digital 3.2 indicator lit.

I looked at the PBS HD feed on 22-6 and really could not pick up any degredation after the SD channel was added. There was a waterfall scene in the NJN footage that turned into a pixeled mess but I don't know if it was that way before.

I think WMPB is due to come up on May 1st on Digital Channel 29 isn't it?

·
Banned
535 Posts
I get no audio for 22.2 either. Wmpb is questionable for May 1. I do know that Wfpt was supposed to be on May 1st but is pushed back until late Fall. I would not be surprised if Wmpt is the only digital station they have on for a while. Jeff

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
antennaweb.org now has WFPT has Sep 2003, and the other MPTs as June.

Its funny that WMPT-DT annapolis isn't even listed on Antenna web. The analog is.

On other News, WHUT-DT is listed as May 1st and Univision is listed as May 15th. I don't regularly watch either channel, but If HUT has a HD loop well that will be better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I tried to get Smart Travels at 7:30 pm. I tried all the subchannels on 22, 42 and 80. On 42.6, I got Smart Travels only as NTSC (from composite not component outputs).

Did anyone get HD on WMPT last night? Have they starting doing their HD broadcasts after 8 pm, like WETA?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MPT sent me an email and said that their Frederick MPT station would not be Digital until late fall. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I succeeded in getting WMPT HD on 42.6, which switches to 22.6, but only by using my other set top box, the old Panasonic DST-50. My RCA DTC-100 is not capable of receiving it, even though WETA-HD comes in fine. Signal strength is good for both stations.

There is clearly been a deterioration in PQ on WMPT-HD though ... almost as bad as WETA-HD.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hopefully the problems I'm seeing are just because MPT is still in transition, but I haven't seen anyone else mention the same symptoms, so here they are...

22.6 is fine, no problems.

22.2 I get picture & sound immediately. Picture freezes after about 5 seconds, sound continues. Sometimes picture will refresh every 5 seconds or so, while the sound continues normally. Other times, my STB will just go to a "No Signal" state, even though there is a strong signal as indicated by 26.6. The STB is a Samsung SIR-T150.

Anyone else with similar problems? I got to believe at is an encoding problem, but it sure is taking a while to get corrected. Seems like its been a week or 2 now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
jswclw,

Same here. A check today revealed that 22.2 is just as you describe - no picture for a while, and then periodic frame updates every 5 seconds or so. Strange, since it was fine last week. I have a SIR-T150 as well.

I still can't decide whether the picture quality on 22.6 is lower than it used to be before WMPT-DT started multicasting. It might be a little worse, but if it is, it's pretty minimal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the responses...

I have been seeing this problem off and on ever since WMPT started multi-casting. I'm surprised its taking them so long to get it squared away. When its working, I like the option of watching the HD feed or the local MPT programming.

·
Registered
342 Posts
22.2 and 22.6 both are functioning properly now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I'd like to think that they are sacrificing the SD (22.2) signal to increase the HD Feed. :D
Well 22.2 certainly doesn't look very good at all, picture-quality-wise. On the other hand, 22.6 still looks quite nice. So maybe you're right, even though there's obviously not much bandwidth to sacrifice to start with on a 480i feed. If you're watching 22.2 anyway, it's for content rather than picture quality, so if that's what they're doing, it's the right choice.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still wonder about the odd sub channel number assignments. 22..2 and 22.6? I wonder if that will persist?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.