AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 65H80 your first big screen? If so, the problem might be that you don't know how bad the picture would look from cable or satellite. When you blow a picture up that big, it's like taking a wallet size photo and blowing it up to 11x14 size. The results are very blurry. To have a picture as large as a 65H80 has and have it be razor sharp is amazing. I just got my OTA antenna up today, so I am looking forward to watching CBS tonight to see how good it is.

Eric

·
Registered
200 Posts
"King of Queens" always looks fuzzy. "Yes,Dear" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" look the best on Monday Night.

------------------

"Flipping the switch late should be a crime!"

·
Registered
168 Posts
It seems that some HD shows are made fuzzy and darker because the director or producer is trying to get a film look, or some crap like that. It reminds me of when compact discs came out and producers would not produce in full digital. The mix was done in analog to get a "warm" sound. It cracks me up to see technology slowed because people think that it is artsy to be stuck in the past.

CSI is very clear and crisp. Rudy Maxa on PBS is a treat. Japan's secret garden on PBS was in 3D. (well Almost ;-)

Unfortunately most stores have HD TV's with low definition images on them. The store workers are clueless setting up the sets. And potential buyers are understandably unimpressed.

Between the network bozos and the store clerk jerks, it is a wonder that HD has gotten as far as it has.

-Bill-

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
Get the set ISFed. It is worth the money & it will be an incredible difference in quality.

Tim
Could you tell me what "ISFed" stands for? I basically know what it means that someone comes out and sets your TV up the best that it can be set, but I don't know much beyond that. What all do they do to make it look better other than convergence?

I have a Pioneer Elite 710HD and converged it myself.

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
"King of Queens" is shot pretty grainy (like when you use 1000 speed 35mm film in your snapshot camera). I've noticed their backgrounds are pretty phony-looking in HD (look OK in standard-def.); maybe they're trying to cover up that fact with alot of film grain.

"The District" usually has very little grain in their shots, even indoors. If you're looking for low-grain images you may want to check it out.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sean,

I believe the most important thing that an ISF technician can do is to set the gray scale. He tries to bring all the steps in the gray scale as close as possible to the ideal level of 6500K. This will improve the picture dramatically if the settings were (and they probably are) way off.

Steve

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The most important thing for HD is a service level convergence. If you don't want to do it yourself, simply call the service department (under warrenty)and tell them it is out of convergence. I assure you it is. Make sure they do a service level convergence. While their at it they can reduce overscan too. You need to be sending it a 1080i signal when it is done.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-24-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.