AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for some serious feedback here before I commit to the Wii or 360. Very surprised nobody has spoken about it recently, I really want the Wii version for obvious reasons ala Tiger Woods. If the gameplay is as poor as the graphics it's the 360, but I'll bet the gameplay is on par with Tiger and MLB2k8. The only reviews I've found are for the 360 and they're very good. Bring it Wii buyers!!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I played a little bit today without really looking through the manual. I'm still learning the proper way to hit balls that my computer rival can't return so I can score some points--I haven't been too successful yet. (Only won one game so far. That's one game--not one set or match.)

Using the nunchuck is kind of fun, but also frustrating in that I want my player to move to a certain spot on the court, but either the player isn't fast enough to get there or I'm not fast enough with the nunchuck to get him/her there. There's an easy serve button (just press the Z button) and you serve without missing. I tried the more difficult serve (using the C button) and it took a little while, but I got the swing of it.

Just like 2K's MLB2k8 is a more complicated form of Wii Baseball, Top Spin 3 is a more complicated form of Wii Tennis. I really like the simplicity of Wii Tennis and the ability to use just the remote and really swing it with all my might. I don't get that same thrill with Top Spin 3 on the Wii. Still, I haven't really learned the game fully yet so it's too early to say whether or not this game will have legs for me.

(By the way, I also have Sega Tennis on the Wii which I was hoping would best Wii Tennis, but it didn't. And I also have the latest Tiger Woods for the Wii which I enjoy more than Wii Golf.)

Edit--Just played some more and easily beat the computer opponent...after I set her rating down from Normal to Easy. I'm also playing using a racquet (Circuit City gives you a free one with the game) (which is how I also play Wii Tennis) and the cord from the nunchuck gets in the way every once in a while. I'm having fun with it, just not as much fun as playing real tennis or Wii Tennis where I can go all out with my swings.)

UPDATE--Played about five hours more and learned the controls and I'm having a good amount of fun with this game. Guess I was expecting a virtual game of tennis which this game doesn't really give to you. It's more like Virtual Tennis where you're controlling a character on screen.

Beefs with the game so far: tutorials are merely printed screens--no interaction or playing; you can't create your own character and play him/her in the game; I can't ace a serve against the lowest of computer players even though many times I hit the serving target dead center in the "red zone"; you can easily make all your serves by (cheating) using the easy serve button--not much of a challenge this way; no way to turn off the interactive cut scene, but you can speed through it; no on-line play and no way to add more content to the game; nunchuck cord can get in the way occassionally--(wonder if the wireless nunchuck works with this game.) (There's also no left-handed option, but that doesn't affect me.) Graphics are just "okay", but this is a Wii game so I don't ever expect much in that department.

I started playing through the "Road To Glory" game which is the game's ultimate challenge. There's no difficulty setting and yet I breezed through the first and second events. (It's easy to fake out the computer player by playing him into a corner and then hitting in the opposite direction.) Not sure what the assigned ratings of the tennis star which I'm virtually playing influences or helps my abilities playing the game as I'm the person who is actually playing the game. I also played a couple of doubles games and they were fun with the computer player on my team. Metacritic has an average rating of 70 for the game. From what I played so far, I'd say that's about right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, now that's a reply!!!
No online is a big bummer, the create a player non-feature is a smaller bummer. I'm thinking the 360 but I'll rent the Wii version first. Tiger '09 is finally online which I'm really pumped about. Thanks for the thorough response and I'm glad it's fun on a basic level at least. By the way, you can't hit an ace on the other systems as well so at least that's a neutral detriment.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I bet it will get a bad score and GH:Aerosmith will too. When big name titles like those don't have a review from ign before release they always get bad scores and this game is released and gh is released tomorrow and neither has a review.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsrockon /forum/post/14175715

Wow, now that's a reply!!!
By the way, you can't hit an ace on the other systems as well so at least that's a neutral detriment.

I tried out the Wii and 360 version and I prefered the 360 version. On the Wii I never did get an ace but on the 360 I have had quite a few aces on normal. Started to play on hard and only had one ace so far. Much harder from the normal level.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I've played with the Wii's version and will be getting the PS3's version but overall I enjoyed the Wii's version and believe it will be better compared with the PS3's demo of it.

The remote just gives so much more fun with this type of game. Going further with Franchot's review, I do think the strength in the hit does play a part. Sometimes I see a red trail behind the ball meaning its going fast. The tutorial is simple but it only explains the "basic" play technique. I think it has a lot of hidden techniques like how to spin the ball etc. There were tips given in the first speed track tournament I played.

I differ from Franchot's opinion of Wii Sport Tennis vs Top Spin 3. I like Top Spin 3 more because Wii Sport Tennis will work just by swinging. To me part of tennis is to control where you're going with the player. But having said that, I do not like how TS3's method of moving the player and direction of where the ball goes. Its both done with the analog stick. Sometimes I find my player walking away from a hit because I wanted the ball to go there, not the player.

Overall 7 out of 10 for no online, no create player..

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
If the wii remote gives more fun, then you wouldn't be getting the ps3 version.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Brilliant observation. Go play Zelda now.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC /forum/post/14254596

Overall 7 out of 10 for no online, no create player..

Well, I agree with your score for this game, but I arrive at it from a different direction.

(To me this game is akin to 2K's Baseball game. It does a lot of things better than all the other Wii tennis games, but it just doesn't add up to an overall great experience. When I play, I find myself saying, "if only..." and "the next version will get it right...")

I'm having a fun time playing Top Spin 3 on the Wii, but I just don't get the feeling of playing "virtual" tennis. The nunchuck connected to the Wii remote gets in the way and having to use the analog stick (as you mentioned) is an "iffy" proposition at times. (Just like I find the nunchuck cumbersome in 2K's Baseball game.)

I can get red or blue "tails" on the tennis ball when I hit it, but I don't find it making that much of a difference. I don't know if there's all that many hidden techniques of hitting the ball. (Again, to me it's like 2K's Baseball game in that using the Wii remote just isn't polished enough.)

2K's Tennis does have a press a button and your player will automatically make a perfect serve. I don't use it because I consider that practically cheating and mastering a manual serve isn't all that difficult.

With Wii Tennis, I put the Wii remote inside a plastic Wii tennis racquet and I can swing that baby like a real racquet and make some cool shots. With 2K's Tennis I have that damn cord pulling me out of the reality of playing. (Of course, Wii Tennis has the limitation that the computer automatically moves your player, but 2K's version isn't that much better. I doubt that any Wii game can get that part virtually right, however.)

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
The cord really gets in the way. Nyko's wireless solution would help here.

I'll hold on to it for a bit but ultimately I think it'll go back. I havent had the urge to buy any 3rd party games because of the lack of depth. My last couple purchases were Mario Kart and Wii Fit.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I have TS3 for wii, and enjoy it very much. The cord for the nunchuk does bother me sometimes, but I chose this version over the visually-superior 360 version based on the control scheme. I am glad I did.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/14377034

I have TS3 for wii, and enjoy it very much. The cord for the nunchuk does bother me sometimes, but I chose this version over the visually-superior 360 version based on the control scheme. I am glad I did.

You may have sold me on this with the comment. Renting this tonight, if possible.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
More than an entire month after this thread was started IGN finally reviewed the game and gave it a 7/10.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got Top Spin 3 this weekend. Its alright so far. I like that its more realistic that the Wii Sports. I have to say though I like the split screen when playing two players on Wii sports than on Top Spin. On Top Spin, you really cant see over the net when you use split screen, which doesnt make sense to me. Also, the nunchuck thing scared me but so far it hasnt been a nuisance.

Questions though:

1.Can anyone explain the color tails on the ball? Is is simply Red-Strong - Blue-Weak. I ask cause sometimes I return it back with no tail and it seems faster than the Red tail.

2.Are you able to see a difference in your return if you do Top-Spin or Slice. I feel like im doing these right but I dont see any difference in my return. I say I think Im doing them right because I can do a Lob and Drop shot fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Top Spin 3 on wii = waste of money.

No online play = no buy.

I'll enjoy my 360 version.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeplastictree /forum/post/14420857

1.Can anyone explain the color tails on the ball? Is is simply Red-Strong - Blue-Weak. I ask cause sometimes I return it back with no tail and it seems faster than the Red tail.

2.Are you able to see a difference in your return if you do Top-Spin or Slice. I feel like im doing these right but I dont see any difference in my return. I say I think Im doing them right because I can do a Lob and Drop shot fine.

1. Supposedly, red is faster, but not necessarily because the Wii remote or game isn't sensitive enough to detect what's going on.

2. You're probably doing it right, but again, either the Wii remote or the game cannot detect what you are doing.

Maybe next year's Top Spin on the Wii will get these things right. Or maybe somebody will come out with a better tennis game for the Wii. (That shouldn't be hard.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts