AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HTPC has a ATI Wonder 650 Combo Tuner card which I have been using successfully to receive OTA TV signals BUT today I introduced a Cable Box back into the picture figuring that I would go from the Cable Box VCR OUT to Digital IN on the HTPC Tuner card and then use WMC and/or ATI Media Center to play and record TV using Cable. So far - WRONG - I get NO TV Signal using either of the Media Center Software programs.

PLEASE - if you can.....tell me what I need to do to get signal from cable to HTPC?

TKS michael

·
Registered
208 Posts
The output of a cable box is only the channel currently selected on it, and typically for a standard definition receiver, from best to worse, the output quality goes s-video, composite and last RF (either channel 3 or 4).

You should try splitting the coax cable before the box (or maybe put it in pass through mode), to feed your capture card, and if you want to record something encrypted, then also use a s-video + RCA cables from the cable box...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur /forum/post/17001501

The output of a cable box is only the channel currently selected on it, and typically for a standard definition receiver, from best to worse, the output quality goes s-video, composite and last RF (either channel 3 or 4).

You should try splitting the coax cable before the box (or maybe put it in pass through mode), to feed your capture card, and if you want to record something encrypted, then also use a s-video + RCA cables from the cable box...

My ATI Wonder 650 HD Combo Tuner has two Coaxial Inputs....the upper one says for Antenna [digital/atsc]; the lower one is for TV IN. Going with the Coaxial OUT of Cable Box and INTo the upper Antenna INPUT of Tuner.....I received ZILCH/Nada..........today I connected it up to the Lower\\TV INPUT Analog and at least it did find many stations and as you said...I had video on CH 3........could not get video on any other although it showed MANY in the guide. I guess from what you say....I would have seen other video IF I'd changed the actual channel eh?

I did not realize that it would be so hard/complicated to get a Cable Feed thru my HTPC.

The reviews etc. say that my Tuner is Clear QAM capable.....BUT.....do I really need another/different Tuner Card that has a Coaxial INPUT for Digital Cable [my cable is ALL Digital now].

ALL help/recommendations are cetainly appreciated.....

TKS michael

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The coax output from your cable box is NTSC SD 480i analog and must be connected to the TV in connector and is using Channel 3 or Channel 4. So your analog tuner must be tunned to channel 3 or 4 and you use the remote for the cable box to change to the actual channel you want to watch.

The digital/ATSC connector connects to your digital tuner and can be used for OTA digital broadcasts with an antenna or for possibly receiiving unencrypted(clear) QAM programs from you cable company wall outlet connection. It can not receive HD content from your cable box.

You will receive more local digital channels using an antenna then you will receive from your cable company using clear QAM.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
ditch the cable box and go QAM, you'll get the unencrypted HDs plus all the sd channels.

you have ti use win7 too...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Most cable companies do not leave unencrypted all their SD digital channels. They leave unencrypted only those SD or HD local digital channels that are availble OTA which they provide. Since cable company analog channels are not QAM they can be recieved with the standard analog tuner in your TV.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/17006983

ditch the cable box and go QAM, you'll get the unencrypted HDs plus all the sd channels.

you have ti use win7 too...

When you say - what you said, ABOVE; what do you mean by that? I guess I am not understanding what QAM signals truly are. I though, wrongfully if appears, that when they say "unencrypted clear qam signals" that that meant ALL channel signals from Cable that have not been encrypted.

I have tried the Coaxial Cable in my upper [TV Antenna IN] and lower [Cable IN analog] on my ATI 650 Card and neither do anything worth the price of admission.

WHAT product actually WORK [internal or external] that allows you to get your main Cable Channels on your HTPC say thru WMC....so you can watch and record from there???

TKS michael

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized /forum/post/17015952

When you say - what you said, ABOVE; what do you mean by that? I guess I am not understanding what QAM signals truly are. I though, wrongfully if appears, that when they say "unencrypted clear qam signals" that that meant ALL channel signals from Cable that have not been encrypted.

I have tried the Coaxial Cable in my upper [TV Antenna IN] and lower [Cable IN analog] on my ATI 650 Card and neither do anything worth the price of admission.

TKS michael

If you use a splitter to conect your cable wall connection, which provides both anaalog and digtial programming service, to both the analog and digital tuner connections on your 650 card you will be able to receive both NTSC analog (channels 2-67) and those QAM digital channels which you cable company is transmitting unencrypted(clear QAM)

Depending on your location the number of clear QAM channels could be between a couple to maybe 8-15 depending on how close you live to a large city which has a lot of OTA digital broadcast stations.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized /forum/post/17006512

My ATI Wonder 650 HD Combo Tuner has two Coaxial Inputs....the upper one says for Antenna [digital/atsc]; the lower one is for TV IN. Going with the Coaxial OUT of Cable Box and INTo the upper Antenna INPUT of Tuner.....I received ZILCH/Nada..........today I connected it up to the Lower\\TV INPUT Analog and at least it did find many stations and as you said...I had video on CH 3........could not get video on any other although it showed MANY in the guide. I guess from what you say....I would have seen other video IF I'd changed the actual channel eh?

I did not realize that it would be so hard/complicated to get a Cable Feed thru my HTPC.

The reviews etc. say that my Tuner is Clear QAM capable.....BUT.....do I really need another/different Tuner Card that has a Coaxial INPUT for Digital Cable [my cable is ALL Digital now].

ALL help/recommendations are cetainly appreciated.....

TKS michael

It's a litlle more complicated than you connecting the cable box, in fact the HTPC will act as the cable box, provided you have an "unencrypted clear QAM signal" form the cable company.

Since your ATI 650 Card has two signal inputs "Analog/NTSC, Digital/ATSC" you have to figure out what channels are you getting from each signal.

Connect the cable from the wall to the tuner to each input so that you're in fact getting two signals "Analog/Digital", you might have to use a splitter to accomplish this. Once you have the cable connected to the tuners, you'll have to do a scan for the channels available for each signal, take note of the channels you're receiving. Depending on the cable provider you have, you'll be able to receive a "50/50 analog/digital", it varies from one area to another. Just because they promote it as "All Digital Cable" it doesn't mean they are broadcasting in an all digital signal, you'll find out soon enough.

As an example, I use to get over 80 channels in analog from regular cable, now I get about 60 analog and over 40 digital channels with the same service.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To tune QAM in MC you must be running Vista with the TV Pack installed or Windows 7 If your OS is XP Media Center then QAM requires supporting software to edit the registry to enable QAM tuning and then a way to add QAM channels to the guide.

As far as ATI's software it may tune QAM but IMO it's not woth falling back to their software just to have QAM channels.

The easiest way to setup is OTA for HD locals and Cable for 2 thru 99 from Comcast. You can't get any HD from the cable box to the PC period with your tuner, you'd need a Cable Card tuner for that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW /forum/post/17021060

To tune QAM in MC you must be running Vista with the TV Pack installed or Windows 7 If your OS is XP Media Center then QAM requires supporting software to edit the registry to enable QAM tuning and then a way to add QAM channels to the guide.

As far as ATI's software it may tune QAM but IMO it's not woth falling back to their software just to have QAM channels.

The easiest way to setup is OTA for HD locals and Cable for 2 thru 99 from Comcast. You can't get any HD from the cable box to the PC period with your tuner, you'd need a Cable Card tuner for that.

YES - I am running W'7 Ultimate with WMC.........prior to signing back up with Comcast a few days ago.....I was receiving GOOD HD reception via OTA. BUT spend alot of time reading here and had seen alot talking about receiving Cable over/thru their HTPC's and thus...now that I am back with Cable [football and BBall is NEAR] - I thought this will be great - now I can use my WMC to watch and record alot of programming. RUDE awakening I must say. It appears to really do what I thought I'd be able to do - I'd have to invest in HDHomeRun or the Haupagge [sp] 1212....something like that. Had hoped to use my WMC DVR abilities finally. RATS!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You got options

Hook up the cable box via the S-Video and stereo input. Setup the IR Blaster to the IR reciever and use MC to change the channels on the STB. While it won't be HD it will handle tunning and recording all channels from the STB. No HD but the picture from the digital channels thru the STB should be a vast improvement compared to analog.

For the digital input either OTA or QAM will give you pretty much the same channel selection as Comcast clear QAM channels are in most areas just the OTA channels in HD the same as OTA.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
It appears to really do what I thought I'd be able to do - I'd have to invest in HDHomeRun or the Haupagge [sp] 1212....something like that.

No, you just need to connect your existing hardware properly.

You've connected an NTSC, ch3 signal to a QAM tuner, and as expected, received nothing.

You connected the same feed to the analog input and received channel 3, as expected.

As mentioned previously, you'd need to split your cable feed to feed the tuner card and the STB if you want to use the tuner in your PC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts