AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals.. Ive been looking everywhere for a fix on this one and have yet to find anything similar. My issue is.. the PS3 doesnt display any video only sound.

If I do the hard reset option.. that works. It brings up the 6 options to reset default settings and what not. I have chosen all of them up to this point. They all do their thing. It reboots and I go through the PS initial setup.. time zone, time, etc. Once all that is done it reboots again.. and its back to no video only sound. I can hear the menu load and if I move back and forth between menu items I hear a beep that its moving, but no video. If I put a movie or game in.. I can hear that load.. but again no video.

Could there be an issue with the video port on the PS3 or something?? But if that was the case I wouldnt see the Hard Reset option menu. Not sure what else to do... Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Vizio (not sure model) highest resolution is 1080i. To this point I have connected the RCA and HDMI cables. I get the autodetect hdmi screen. I go through those options to set the resolution. Like I said previously.. going through the Hard Reset menu and initial setup screens works fine.. but as soon as it reboots I see the PS logo on the screen then it goes black. I have sound at that point but no video. I have even gone back to just using the RCA. Still same issue. The only think I can come up with is the PS isnt actually resetting the settings. Is that possible???

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
By hard reset, you mean holding down the power button until it beeps 3 times and enters the menu?

Maybe try another device on the same port on your TV, or the PS3 on another display, just to rule things out.

Also, you should only connect one set of cables to the PS3 at a time. If you have HDMI and the RCA in the PS3 at the same time you *might not* get any video at all. I would have to check the manual, but I think having both sets of cables connected cancels the vid output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crash... correct. I hold the button down until the 3 beeps then get the 5-6 options. I have tried (1 at a time), RCA, Component, HDMI. And I wind up with the same results. I can always get it reset.. go through the initial setup (set time, date, etc), then reboot and get the PS logo, then a blank screen.. but again I will have sound. Its very weird... I dont get why I can see the reset menu options, the initial setup.. and then nothing once the main menu icons appear...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You shouldn't have to do a hard reset. When you turn it on hold down the power button until it beeps once, about 5 seconds. That will just reset the video settings. If HDMI is hooked up it should auto-detect everything and then go right into the main menu, no reboot required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive done both and neither one helps. "Soft Reset" and "Hard Reset" both end with the same results. I can only see video during the Initial Setup (date, time, time zone, etc.) after that it shows the PS logo and then a black screen with sound. I can hear it switch between the menu icons.. but there is no picture. I have tried with HDMI, Component, RCA and same results with all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts