AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is HTPC with Radeon -> Yamaha RX-V373 -> Optoma HD20 projector.
This was working fine for years - if I remember correctly I didn't have to tinker with the setup at all - everything worked out of the box, I only had to make sure that sound is set to go through HDMI. HTPC was first WinXP and Win7.

I've only reinstalled OS to Win10 and I can't get video through receiver. If I connect PC directly to PJ, I got video.

I'm a good in computers but not so much with the AV - I've read about refresh rates, I checked what's supported by my receiver and I tried number of refresh rates (24, 30, 50, 60) - nothing works.

I've installed latest video drivers available.

Anyone has an idea what am I missing? Any help is welcome.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Go into the windows settings and make sure it's set to the proper resolution

That is the other obvious problem, the projector may require some weird resolution output IDK. Or windows settings may not be properly communicating with the projector and it's getting sent the wrong signals.

Sounds like some sort of EDID issue that windows 10 broke. You may have to get more in depth but i'd start there. If it's the same graphics card probably not hardware. AVR complicates things might want to try to go direct as well see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go into the windows settings and make sure it's set to the proper resolution

That is the other obvious problem, the projector may require some weird resolution output IDK. Or windows settings may not be properly communicating with the projector and it's getting sent the wrong signals.

Sounds like some sort of EDID issue that windows 10 broke. You may have to get more in depth but i'd start there. If it's the same graphics card probably not hardware. AVR complicates things might want to try to go direct as well see what happens.
==============

THX - going directly to PJ works fine. It's been 1080p always via HDMI cable. The issue is only when I try to go through Yamaha AVR...

·
Registered
906 Posts
==============

THX - going directly to PJ works fine. It's been 1080p always via HDMI cable. The issue is only when I try to go through Yamaha AVR...
Yea something broke with the EDID probably windows 10 not properly communicating with the receiver anymore, there are probably ways to fix/adjust the EDID but that's beyond my expertise

Google can help if your'e bold I'm sure. "EDID editing" or something like that should get results on google

If you're tech savy shouldn't be that hard once you figure out how it works.

·
Premium Member
7,960 Posts
==============

Copy protection?

Reactions: Goyle99

·
Registered
453 Posts
My setup is HTPC with Radeon -> Yamaha RX-V373 -> Optoma HD20 projector.
This was working fine for years - if I remember correctly I didn't have to tinker with the setup at all - everything worked out of the box, I only had to make sure that sound is set to go through HDMI. HTPC was first WinXP and Win7.

I've only reinstalled OS to Win10 and I can't get video through receiver. If I connect PC directly to PJ, I got video.

I'm a good in computers but not so much with the AV - I've read about refresh rates, I checked what's supported by my receiver and I tried number of refresh rates (24, 30, 50, 60) - nothing works.

I've installed latest video drivers available.

Anyone has an idea what am I missing? Any help is welcome.
Have you recently confirmed that another 1080p source is working through the receiver to the projector?

A couple of things to try.
  1. Computer on and connected to projector with image displayed - Unplug HDMI from projector into correct input on receiver.
  2. Everything off and correctly connected through receiver - Turn on projector, wait a second. Turn on receiver making sure correct input and wait a second. Boot the computer. If still not displayed, reboot the computer using the computers hard button. Do you at least see the BIOS screen?
  3. Try different HDMI inputs on the receiver.
  4. Install updated video drivers. Or reinstall video driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you recently confirmed that another 1080p source is working through the receiver to the projector?

A couple of things to try.
  1. Computer on and connected to projector with image displayed - Unplug HDMI from projector into correct input on receiver.
  2. Everything off and correctly connected through receiver - Turn on projector, wait a second. Turn on receiver making sure correct input and wait a second. Boot the computer. If still not displayed, reboot the computer using the computers hard button. Do you at least see the BIOS screen?
  3. Try different HDMI inputs on the receiver.
  4. Install updated video drivers. Or reinstall video driver.
I already did 1-4 few times. My next step was to try the same with laptop - I'll try that tonight.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I already did 1-4 few times. My next step was to try the same with laptop - I'll try that tonight.
Make sure your BIOS isn’t set to quick boot or something similar. Then, if you aren’t seeing the BIOS screen, something other than Win10 is likely the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,960 Posts
Does your Yamaha accept RGB signals?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update is that I can connect Win 10 laptop, 1080p through Yamaha AVR and it works flawlessly - no any adjustments necessary. And it's also fresh install of W10.

Interesting thing is that with HTPC I can't even see BIOS screen - it actually only bleeps for fraction of a second. That would indicate that it has nothing to do with Windows but:

1. It worked fine 2 days ago on WIN 7 (I was able to see entire boot sequence on the screen)
2 It also works now if I connect HTPC directly to PJ

bummer

·
Registered
453 Posts
An update is that I can connect Win 10 laptop, 1080p through Yamaha AVR and it works flawlessly - no any adjustments necessary. And it's also fresh install of W10.

Interesting thing is that with HTPC I can't even see BIOS screen - it actually only bleeps for fraction of a second. That would indicate that it has nothing to do with Windows but:

1. It worked fine 2 days ago on WIN 7 (I was able to see entire boot sequence on the screen)

bummer
Frustrating I know. I can only assume that the two HDMI cables that worked with the laptop are the same 2 cables you are using with the PC and on the same receiver ports. I personally would still try a different cable between PC and receiver. And do make sure you have tried the turn on order sequencing I mentioned - It can matter even if it didn’t in the past.

You made no changes in the BIOS... No changes to the video cards firmware... Didn’t recently overclock anything...

If all that “obvious” stuff has been done, then I would try another video card if possible. Does your processor possibly have onboard video to try?

Oh, if this were my issue, I would also try an HDMI coupler to bypass the receiver, tying those two hdmi cables together. The HDMI coupler lbecomes the receiver.”

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I suspect your PC is outputing a non-supported resolution / refresh rate.
Connect your pc to another monitor if you have one. Do you see the boot screen? Download the latest radeon driver and update. Set your video card to 1920 x 1080, then connect it to the receiver.
Does your motherboard have an integrated video adapter? If so, try using it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

in case it's a HDMI handshake problem you could try and add an 2-Port HDMI switch into the chain (cost between 10 - 15$).
Either between PC and AV-Receiver or between AV Receiver and projector.
What it does is keeping the handshake procedure longer awake.

(I'm using a PC-Monitor instead of a TV and could only get it to work with the AV receiver after inserting a HDMI switch between AV receiver and monitor)

Does your PC has two working monitor outputs? If so connect a monitor to the 2nd output. Then you can check what Win10 is doing with the 1. output.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts

bummer
When the HTPC is connected directly to the projector, what does the projector say about the incoming signal?

Many projectors have informational displays showing details of the input signal. That might provide some hint as to why the receiver isn’t passing the video.

A TV or monitor connected to the PC should be able to provide equivalent video signal info.

Also, verify that the cable between the PC and receiver is plugged in firmly at both ends. Sometimes cables can seem to be seated but not be in all the way.

You didn’t explicitly write that you tried a different cable from the PC to the receiver. A connector might have a loose wire.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
deleted duplicate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts