AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new sound system set up and I am unable to get post bios (windows) video to display on my tv through the Denon 1912 receiver.

When I turn my pc on I can see the bios and boot info even through the AVR but right after the windows logo the screen goes black.

Im using windows 7 and an ATI HD4600 series with its own hdmi out (not a stepped up dvi) and up to date drivers. (1080p 60hz)

I have tried the Denon 1912 factory reset fix multiple times.

I can display the HTPC video using the same hdmi cable straight to the television just not through the avr

My XBOX and PS3 both display through the same ports on the AVR with audio as well

Any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Lately a number of threads have been posted about problems with Radeon 4600 cards. Since this card was popular two years ago I think all the problems point to some common experience.

I have been posting here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1348361 My efforts have been primarily aimed at completely removing ATI software from my computer and then installing different versions of catalyst. So far I am very impressed with the video quality I get from catalyst 11.7, but getting 7MC running is a chore.

Now, I have a monitor and a plasma running off a 4670 with 1MB. The plasma runs on an extended desktop. I have a gigabyte motherboard and use their Realtek audio software for LPCM which also let me power two computer speakers for the monitor from the motherboard. So, my system may be much different than yours: certainly I have a different AVR. All this is to say I am having problems but have found work arounds. The best I can do is tell you what I have been trying and the results.

Now, I do not understand EDID and do not know if that would be a worthwhile place to look for a solution but I am having what looks like handshake problems. But if you want to look into EDID that might be a fruitful place to look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*update*

I switched to an old mobo with integrated hdmi out on it and am able to get video and audio however its not powerful enough for the HD content.

The problem lies somewhere in my HD4600 Card or the settings. If anyone knows how I can configure the card or which catalyst may be compatible let me know.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have a stock answer- go Nvidia. I have a and AVR- 591 working fine with a GT 545. I have an AVR-2112ci working fine with a GTG 545. In all fairnes I haven't really tested the 2112 out directly as I have an Iscan Duo in the middle and currently only send audio via HDMI over to it. I would like to see the OSD overlay on the PC screen for volume and other changes so I suspect I may send audio out the integrated intel HDMI audio device and Video from the Nvidia to the AVR-2112ci.. everything through the Iscan DUO VP first though.

That would allow me to have full HD audio and 3D video at the same time. Now the Denon will not use the 2D OSD overlay on top of 3D video. Playing 3D content is the exception for me rather than the rule so that limitation is no bid deal.

One of the nice things about these Denons and I am sure the 1912 does it, the have the option of standby HDMI pass through. So if you want to just watch news or other content where audio quality is not important you can run the video through the receiver with the receiver in standyby and use the TV speakers. I have done this with the 591 and it works fine. The Denons are pretty efficient in idle so leaving the amp on in dile for extended periods is not a power wasteful as I expected.

In fact this whole rig I am using right now, Panny 37" LED, Denon AVR-591, and an i3 2100 with the GT 545 GPU is only using about a 110 watts for the whole chain while I type this message.

A lot of folks might be using that much power on their LCD alone.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I just bought a Denon AVR-1712 and I'm having the same problem... I have a HTPC using integrated ATI 4290 graphics... I kept getting the blank screen - wouldn't even pass on-screen graphics from the AVR. I found that if I played with the cable (unplugging and plugging) I could sporatically get the video to pass. I messed around with settings, loaded the most recent drivers, unloaded everything and reloaded again, nothing could solve it...

I plugged an HDMI cable directly to my 50" Panny plasma - I seem to consistently get a picture. I'm thinking it's a Denon problem now...

Funny thing... I purposed bought the 1712 for its "lack" of video processing... Having these issues is really strange.

One more thing... When I could get the video to pass through the AVR to the plasma I noticed in the Catalyst software that the monitor was listed as "Denon AVR" - again, I would have thought that the lack of video processing might give me a "direct cable" connection to the plasma...

I did notice that my 4290 graphics can only pass 2 channel sound over HDMI, so I am more than likely going to get a graphics card to remedy that anyways. I may try an Nvidea card to see if it fixes the other issue.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
What version of CCC are you running?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
By the way....

I eventually got frustrated enough that I went back to my old rig...

On that rig I have an AM2 board with an NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset... I have a separate Radeon HD 4550 card running...

I hadn't run the old rig on the Denon 1712 yet... hooked it up and presto! no problems... Everything syncs properly... Denon has no issues... Sound passes thru in 7.1... My only problem with my old rig is that it's a bit slow... Running an AMD 5050e 45W CPU (dual-core 2.5GHz) and 4GB DDR2 in a normal height case...

My new rig has an AMD 905e 65W CPU (quad-core 2.5GHz) and 8GB DDR3 in a low-profile case... unfortunately that means my old video/tuner cards don't fit - more $$$ to get this thing running... wish I wouldn't have even bothered now...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Are you using the Radeon HD 4550 card or the Nvidia GeForce 7025?

You seemed to have established that the AVR is not the problem.

Did you establish that the problem is with your ATI 4xxx card plus catalyst and who knows what else?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
My old rig uses the 4550 thru the HDMI output...

I stopped futzing with the new rig... got frustrated after hours of screwing with it... plus, figured I have no choice but to add a separate video card to get the 7.1 over HDMI...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello All!

I'm having identical problems with an ATI HD 4650 and Denon AVR-890!! How has this issue been concluded?? Did anyone ever get the ATI to Denon AVR to work?? Do I need to go to a different display adapter, and if so, can someone recommend one that will work and give me full HD video and 7.1 Audio through an integrated HDMI port?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
i have my ati 3850 (soon being replaced with a 6670) going through a denon 1612 just fine. Is force tv detect checked in the catalyst settings?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I was having similar problems with my Onkyo 705 and Marantz 7002 with an Ati 5450. I was advised by one AVS member to plug the hdmi from the card directly to the avr and the card's dvi directly to my tv. The tv is display 1 and avr is display 2 with the display extended from display 1 to display 2. Now, I no problems switching inputs on the avr or tv. I don't lose the picture or sound.

Obviously, this solution would only work if you have card with dvi and hdmi connections.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated!

I do have both a DVI and HDMI on the ATI card but I would not be able to get a DVI connection to my projector.

As for the Catalyst Control Center settings, I don't see a setting for "Force TV Detect". I'm using the latest version 11.12. I do see a couple of settings for EDID however.

FYI, I do get a picture through to the projector during the BIOS and Windows splash screens but as soon as Windows continues to load, loads drivers, etc., the screen goes black. I just can't seem to identify where this problem is coming from!

I may have to try a new graphics card.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts