AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT room in my soon-to-be-finished basement will be partially open to other areas of the basement, so I'm not even trying to truly soundproof it. I'm at least planning on adding some insulation in the ceiling. However, someone I know (who may or may not know what he's talking about) told me that certain frequencies, namely low ones, carry better through solids, and consequently adding insulation might actually hurt, as opposed to having the space between the ceiling and the floor above it.

Right now our HT equipment is in our family room, which is directly below our bedroom. The new HT will be directly below the family room. My wife's chief complaint when I watch movies one floor below her is the low noises, crashes, explosions, etc, not voices and music. Would adding insulation help cut down on that kind of noise? I'm sure there will be times when someone's in the basement HT and other people will be directly above in the family room.

Our budget's getting sorta tight on this basement, so I'd like to know if it's really going to help if I'm going to spend $500-700 on it.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Well, fiberglass insulation behind the drywall ceiling will be more likely to do good to your bass, then bad. Further, it will reduce the sound transmission to the floor above. On the down side, with an open space, any sound leakage through any part of the basement will make it to the remainder of the home.

Actually, at low frequencies, mass law applies.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I can also put insulation on the back wall of the HT, on the other side of which is the stairs, and in the ceilings of the other portions of the basement which are open to that room. And there's a door at the top of the stairs, the only issue with that is we often keep it open for the cats. Although late at night, they're normally asleep anyway.

As long as it won't hurt, I think it will be worth it. I might go with R-30 in the ceiling of the HT room itself, and R-13 in the neighboring rooms (less than half the cost) to save a little money. I certainly don't want to wish after the drywall is up that we had done it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.